Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   964 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum-59/)
-   -   Bent cup 1 wheel (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/803288-bent-cup-1-wheel.html)

alexjc4 03-04-2014 09:56 AM

Bent cup 1 wheel

I'm not sure when I did this exactly but it looks like I've bent one of my replica cup 1s. Probably hit one of the gazillion pot holes on the roads at the moment.

I think with the recently increased rear camber it's made the vibration much more noticable.

I took it in to get the rear wheels balanced at lunch today just in case and they were a fair way out of balance but the vibration is still there and the guy pointed out that the wheel was buckled - very noticable on the balancing machine.

Any UK types got a 9inch cup1 lying around I could relive you of?

LPMM 03-04-2014 10:10 AM

Minnesota is pothole heaven, they are everywhere and the size of craters! There is a local guy who refinishes wheels and also trues them if they are bent, incredible work and much more economical than buying a new wheel ($160/wheel IIRC). Here is his process and some before/after shots.

Perhaps you can find someone like this local to you? I am sure some of the UK folks may have some recommendations.

Andy Roe 03-04-2014 10:13 AM

Yep, as Laurent says, you can get them repaired rather than having to buy a new wheel. (One of my MM Cups also has a slight buckle in it!)

freedman 03-04-2014 10:39 AM

Alex,

If you want it straightened call these guys

http://www.rimtecrefurbs.co.uk/?page_id=8

Repaired a wheel from my sons A3 that was seriously damaged, no one else could do it, looks and runs completey true

alexjc4 03-04-2014 10:43 AM

Thanks Gary you are, as has been said before, THE MAN!

Just checked their site, can't say fairer than "While you wait straightening £55 (2-3 Hours)"

freedman 03-05-2014 03:58 AM

Alex,

I forgot to say, Ive got a spare as well as my regular set which are off the car at the moment if you need one to see if it eliminates the problem?

My spare has had a repair to the back of a bolt hole, so I doubt you would want it but it is straight AFAIK and has been balanced witout problem before

alexjc4 03-05-2014 04:59 AM

That sounds like a great plan Yhpm :)

freedman 03-13-2014 07:13 AM

Alex, was it the wheel? and do you now have it sorted?

alexjc4 03-13-2014 08:03 AM

Unfortunately I ran out of time on Saturday so I didn't get a chance to try it. I had too many bits and bobs to prepare for Silverstone on Sunday - which was epic.

I dropped the car into 9e yesterday to have the bonnet/ns wing alignment tweaked and I left your wheel with them to fit and try to see if the vibration goes away.

Hopefully that's been confirmed today so I have the time to take the bent wheel to either Wheel Works in Crawley - who I used for that wheel I bought off Lee, or the guys you recommended in Kent.

freedman 03-13-2014 08:08 AM

Alex,

If it cures the problem and you dont have time to sort yours, feel free to use my wheel for Spa if needed

alexjc4 03-13-2014 08:19 AM

Thanks Gary that's really kind, might get me out of a tight spot if it comes down to the wire :)

Navaros911 03-13-2014 08:28 AM

And that is why I love Rennlist... hope you guys get it sorted.

PaulW_964 03-13-2014 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by freedman (Post 11208473)
Alex,

If it cures the problem and you dont have time to sort yours, feel free to use my wheel for Spa if needed

Bloody nice bloke, is Gary :thumbup:

It really is like a soap watching you fellas get ready for Spa, I may be tempted myself next time

freedman 03-13-2014 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by PaulW_964 (Post 11208571)
Bloody nice bloke, is Gary :thumbup:

It really is like a soap watching you fellas get ready for Spa, I may be tempted myself next time

Paul, thank you, I'm blushing :)

Would be great if you could join us, it is a great weekend