Sponsored by:

circleswim's Guards Red C2 Tiptronic

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 08:15 AM
circleswim
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default circleswim's Guards Red C2 Tiptronic

Until now I've always been a lurker on this forum, I've owned my car for nearly 2 & 1/2 years and is the car of my dreams. I thought it was about time that I returned the love and shared my car.

For as long as I can remember I always longed for a 964, I have no interest in any other Porsche models besides those with the classic 911 lines.

As I paralysed my left arm in a horrendous mountain bike crash over 7 years ago this meant I would have to buy a car with an auto/tiptronic gearbox.

In autumn 2011 I got a bargain of a car in very good shape, and a PPI didn't pick up anything to be worried about. The only catch was the car, despite its mainland UK plate, was in Belfast (Northern Ireland), so I jumped on a plane and drove her home to South Wales.

Here she is in her current state...

Name:  image-3009383515.jpg
Views: 1536
Size:  542.4 KB

Name:  image-3429477099.jpg
Views: 1475
Size:  549.4 KB

I will update later with a bit more detail of what I've done but for now here's a list of mods from stock I've done...

Modifications
Flat Bottom Steering Wheel & Paddle Shift
Remove Rear Wiper Assembly And Motor
Remove Mobile Phone Aerial And Wiring
Silver Dial Faces
Strip Out Foam Soundproofing - water damaged
Remove Rear Seat Backs
Remove Rear Seat Belts
Bosch Aero Wiper Blades
Drilled Air Box
Cassette Box Replacement Storage
BMC Panel Air Filter
Powerflex ARB Bushes
Powerflex Rear Trailing Arm Bushes
Walrod Wishbone Polybushes
KW V1 INOX Coilover Suspension
Goodridge Stainless Brake Hoses
Silent Coat Sound Proofing
21mm Wheel spacers on the rear
RS Brake Ducts - not connected
Front carbon fibre Strut brace
Passenger Ply Wood Floor Board
Fire Extinguisher & Bracket
Battery Cut Off
Perfect reflection detailing detailed
Dansk exhaust primary bypass with new bolts
Carbon fibre air box induction pipe
Carbon fibre heater bypass pipe
RS Engine Mounts
Refurbished Calipers Powder Coated Red
Carrera 4 bias valve to balance 4 pot rear brakes
Pirtek Braided Tiptronic Oil Cooler Pipes

In progress...
Replica 3.8RS Fibreglass Wing
Connaught Competition Engines rebuild
Old 02-07-2014, 08:47 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks great mate.

Your second photo shows the perfect silouette of our 964s...I wouldn't bother with adding a rear wing (just my personal opinion).
Old 02-07-2014, 09:27 AM
deutschland-dobson
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks great

Guards Red and clean, just my cup of tea!

Any chance of seeing the steering wheel with paddle shift?

Chris
Old 02-07-2014, 07:44 PM
Igaffz
Rennlist Member

Can you give us some details on the paddle shift mate?

Ian
Old 02-08-2014, 06:50 AM
deutschland-dobson
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Igaffz
Can you give us some details on the paddle shift mate?

Ian
You know you want it Ian. Your lass will think you're Hamilton

Chris
Old 02-08-2014, 07:08 AM
hepkat63
Rennlist Member

looks great mate - can I ask you something though? How did you get it to sit so low at the front? this car is very similar to mine - in fact almost identical - same wheels and everything - but mine sits way up at the front - even with the bilstein coil-overs I have wound right down.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:28 AM
g60pops
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hepkat63
looks great mate - can I ask you something though? How did you get it to sit so low at the front? this car is very similar to mine - in fact almost identical - same wheels and everything - but mine sits way up at the front - even with the bilstein coil-overs I have wound right down.
He has KW v1 coilovers which go much lower than your bilstein. Are your bilstein standard factory fit or after market?
Old 02-08-2014, 11:26 AM
circleswim
Advanced

Boxsey, I hear you - but I have a big wing itch that I need to scratch... you never know it might not stay on for long...

hepkat63, to be honest I guess my KWs must go much lower than your coil overs as I'm not even near the bottom of the thread.

As for the rest of you asking about my "paddle shift" heres some more info...
The works bell paddle shifter came from Luke at plays kool, who I can't fault, his help/service is second to none.

http://www.plays-kool.co.uk/acatalog/WorksBell.html

As for the install, I started with a non airbag steering wheel so started by pulling off the horn pad on the wheel pictured below:

It's held on by 3 clips so just pull it towards yourself whilst sat in the drivers seat using one hand either side of the horn pad being careful not to damage it.

Once the horn pad is off, remove the 15/16 nut securing the wheel, mark top dead centre and remove the wheel.

Fit the steering boss, in my case a momo boss with a driftworks adapter fitted to it to accommodate my nardi wheel's bolt pattern. The works bell shifter (pictured below) fits behind the steering wheel using the longer bolts supplied with the paddle shifter.

With the steering wheel fitted I set out removing the centre console.

You need to remove the two front switch panels at the top. Underneath them are 2 Philips head screws. At the back of the console there is a little pad which pulls out. There are then two screws to be removed from there. There is then one screw underneath the handbrake. This shall then release the plastic cover which is removed by pulling along the handbrake. Then there are two screws at the back of the centre console two in the middle. There is also a bar which goes across underneath the handbrake again this needs unscrewing. Finally on the gear lever the push button needs unscrewing just by hand and the gear lever then just pulls off. Then centre console should then just pull straight up and off.

Once the centre console is removed you can see the microswitches for the gearbox.

I decided to stay away from the switches and instead wired into the connector further down the loom...

The wiring for the shifter is simple. You have 2 cables for each paddle on the works bell shifter, one is an earth/common and the other is the switch signal, it doesn't matter which is which but choose 1 from each paddle to be the earth, these need to be spliced together to give 1 cable for the earth path. You need to extend the switch cables and earth cable from the paddles with enough cable to reach the gear shifter. This leaves you with a loom of 3 cables to be routed through the dash to the gear shifter where you need to splice the following cables:

Brown - earth
Brown red - downshift
Brown yellow - up shift

Once connected, test the paddles (they only work with the box in manual mode) and refit the centre console.

Et viola

Old 02-08-2014, 05:08 PM
Igaffz
Rennlist Member

Cool mate, do you use them much?

Ian
Old 02-08-2014, 05:17 PM
greg1990964
Three Wheelin'

I like how didn't let your injury keep you from a 911. Nice..I liked SW Wales. My ex is from Caerphilly. I have been a few times. Drank straight for two weeks over xmas, and dragged *** back to Boston.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:32 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Those paddles look great. Very slick setup. The car looks just as good.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:53 AM
circleswim
Advanced

Igaffz, yes I do use them a lot. As only my right arm works I wired the down shift on the right hand paddle as it auto upshifts on the red light. I use this set up on the track and it helps me no end!

greg, Caerphilly is just 15 mins from me, I do like it here - plenty of good roads to go for a blast within easy reach.

Vandit, Thanks!
Old 02-09-2014, 10:06 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 269 Posts

Looks like you've been busy in the last 2 years getting her where you wanted. Your 964 looks beautiful and the stance is perfect!
Old 02-09-2014, 02:49 PM
circleswim
Advanced

P-daddy, I have been fairly busy on her, but thats half the reason I went for one!
Old 02-09-2014, 07:30 PM
hepkat63
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by g60pops
He has KW v1 coilovers which go much lower than your bilstein. Are your bilstein standard factory fit or after market?
they were put on by the previous owner.

Quick Reply: circleswim's Guards Red C2 Tiptronic