Sponsored by:

Controller for rear spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 04:04 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 565 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by ToreB
The unit also has timer functions that will shut off the motor when the spoiler is expected to be fully up or down.
Cheers,
Tore
Interesting. I’ve checked for the warning light functionality after circa 15 seconds extending with no limit hit. I didn’t realise it cut the motor as well. I’ll test that.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:13 PM
nrh
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

FWIW, I have one of mojorizing's controllers. I've been toying with the code to see if I can get the 14m2's interrupts to halt the motors on full-up/full-down. I tested it a bit before winter and it seemed to function for normal speed-based up/down, but I had some problems with the switch code that I wrote. I'll keep tinkering after the car comes out this summer. Code is here: https://github.com/nrh/picaxe964/blob/master/new.bas
Old 03-15-2019, 08:27 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
It sounds like that would protect the motor but it would be hard on it long term if the motor has to stall to turn it off at each extension.

The varistor is used to prevent an excessive motor startup current, i.e. before the back EMF of the motor occurs.
It really can't damage the motor, and is used to protect the circuit board traces. It also limits the motor current
if it stalls. The varistor's resistance increases as it heats-up, the result of an excessive current thereby lowering
the current. Obviously if it opens, the motor won't run.

Last edited by Lorenfb; 03-15-2019 at 11:06 PM.
Old 03-16-2019, 01:12 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
The varistor is used to prevent an excessive motor startup current, i.e. before the back EMF of the motor occurs.
It really can't damage the motor, and is used to protect the circuit board traces. It also limits the motor current
if it stalls. The varistor's resistance increases as it heats-up, the result of an excessive current thereby lowering
the current. Obviously if it opens, the motor won't run.
Thanks. More info for the library.
Old 03-16-2019, 01:24 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

There appear to be two choices to alter the extend/retract speed on a pre digital controller.

1. You can change the 180k resistor to change the extend and retract speeds

2. You can change the 39k resistor to change the extend speed but leave the retract speed as original.

Both option values are taken off the relevant charts.

I initially changed the 180k resistor but decided to change back as I want as few extend/retract cycles as possible.

In the end I fitted a 27k resistor to the 39k position (green circle). While doing so I noticed my 180k soldering was off (red circle) as the connection is on top so it should be soldered from there.

With all fixed, I bench tested it. It extended at 113Hz which equates to 101km/hr (62mph).

I tested it on the motorway/freeway and it extended at an indicated 108km/hr which is perfect as my speedo is 7km/hr fast. It retracted at ~ 15km/hr (8mph).

Perfect.
Attached Images     
Old 03-20-2019, 06:22 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Third controller fixed. This one had a different fault. When the down limit switch went open it would drive the motor retract. This meant the spoiler started to go up and then stopped. The faulty component was the transistor connected to the down limit input. That three faults all being faulty transistors. Thanks again to Motorjizing for his schematic. I also changed the 39k ohm resistor for 27k ohm to lift the extend speed to 103/hr (63 mph). It triggered at 112.1 hz.
Attached Images       
Old 03-20-2019, 09:13 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Third controller fixed. The faulty component was the transistor connected to the down limit input. That three faults all being faulty transistors.
It appears that the units you've fixed have failed the result of someone using a junk battery charger connected to a totally dead battery without disconnecting
the battery AND with the key "on". The transistors used in the spoiler ECU are very reliable and rarely if ever fail.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:53 AM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 236 Posts

Loren, I do not agree in your statement of failure rate.
I don't know your statistics in this, but most of the failed Spoiler Control Units I get in for repairs need one or two new relay driver transistors. It happens so often that changing them is part of my standard refurb job on these units. The BC337 is used in many of the Porsche control units for this purpose, and I see the same problem there.
Cheers,
Tore
Old 03-20-2019, 12:32 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Originally Posted by ToreB
Loren, I do not agree in your statement of failure rate.
I don't know your statistics in this, but most of the failed Spoiler Control Units I get in for repairs need one or two new relay driver transistors. It happens so often that changing them is part of my standard refurb job on these units. The BC337 is used in many of the Porsche control units for this purpose, and I see the same problem there.
Cheers,
Tore
For some who don't know how to properly test transistors, that may be the case. Most likely it's an intermittent solder connection if the unit is really bad.
Old 03-20-2019, 01:58 PM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Loren, you should refrain trolling like this and insinuating any lack of skills at my side. It does not conform with the very good and cooperative environment in this forum.
Tore

Last edited by ToreB; 03-20-2019 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:26 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

I’m not absolutely sure how professional repair shops manage their profitability but I imagine it’s hours chargeable and the amount of rework. I don’t have the hour constraint as this isn’t my profession but I don’t want rework from a pride point of view. If there is a fourth controller to fix (there are 300 964s in New Zealand so a limited pool of candidates) I’ll have a look at the solder theory in more detail. Right now I’m just happy that a couple of owners can enjoy their cars without an alarm going off each time they drive.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:08 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

I’m not absolutely sure how professional repair shops manage their profitability but I imagine it’s hours chargeable and the amount of rework. I don’t have the hour constraint as this isn’t my profession but I don’t want rework from a pride point of view. If there is a fourth controller to fix (there are 300 964s in New Zealand so a limited pool of candidates) I’ll have a look at the solder theory in more detail. Right now I’m just happy that a couple of owners can enjoy their cars without an alarm going off each time they drive.

All of the six transistors are BC337s, which are a relatively high current (800 ma) & voltage (45V) NPN switching transistor very similar to a 2N4401
in a T092 package. Only two in the ECU are likely to fail, the two that drive the up/down relays. These can fail when a battery charger over-voltages
the ECU causing the relay drivers to exceed their current rating.

If the spoiler ECU does have failed components needing replacement, it's always a very good idea once the bad components have been replaced,
to completely re-solder the whole circuit board and the back of the connector (its pins) and where the connector PCB is soldered to the main PCB.
This will enhance the long term reliability of the ECU, which is generally the case when repairs are performed on automotive electronics.

Read here for info on automotive electronics problems; http://www.systemsc.com/problems.htm

Last edited by Lorenfb; 03-21-2019 at 12:07 AM.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:52 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Gentlemen,
I've been trying to "update" my 2 modules (1 993 here and 1 for my buddy) from the standard "slow speed" extension to something like the RUF modification of old at around 70 MPH. Based on advice from RUF I bought 2x 964/993 modules and was waiting for the "green light" to send them to Germany. A year went by, then two. Ultimately, they changed their mind, so I looked elsewhere. I found a small shop that repairs modules and the owner claimed to know how to update speed. In the end, he did not. I went through it again and here I am back with 2 modules ready to go. This is the most promising thread I've seen and I'm wondering if anyone here in the US has the ability to modify my 2 modules. Please PM or email me.
Thanks,
Ron
Old 03-25-2019, 03:57 PM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

I am working on a in-car, user-programmable spoiler control unit. Reprogramming of deployment/retract speed tresholds is done using the spoiler switches in the centre console.
I hope to have it ready wihtin 6-8 weeks from now.
Cheers,
Tore
Old 03-25-2019, 04:09 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm only looking for a plug-and-play solution using an OEM module that's been modified. One speed is OK for me, just not where the factory set it ;-)

Quick Reply: Controller for rear spoiler