Sponsored by:

Controller for rear spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 02:21 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 565 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by mojorizing
I think the error in the extend frequency is due to the fact that the speed signal input is not a 50% duty cycle square wave. It is a pulse stream made up of a 2.1 ms "off" time with a variable "on" time. See the pics of the speed signal at 40 mph's and at 60 mph's. This would effect the Cx/Rx charge coming out of the MC14538 chip on the module. See hand-written schematic of the module - notes are mine. Components are in similar position as on the module. Let me know if you see something not right and I'll correct it!
How did the you get the data at speed? My battery powered DSO is not up to the task and I dont want to run the car at speed on the lift given the wheel/axle angles.

I can’t set the duty cycle on my signal generator, but was having a play with the amplitude of the signal and reducing it definitely has an impact. That said I’m struggling to understand why the duty cycle changes with speed. It should just be the frequency.
Old 03-02-2019, 03:30 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
That said I’m struggling to understand why the duty cycle changes with speed. It should just be the frequency.
Remember, the speed signal just requires a basic trigger pulse at some minimum pulse width with a varying frequency, i.e. there's no measurement of a duty cycle.
As long as your freq generator doesn't generate a duty cycle signal which results in a pulse width less than the minimum, it'll be adequate. Ideally, a freq generator
with a constant pulse width would be ideal, it's not necessary.
Old 03-02-2019, 03:45 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

You guys are correct, it's the freq. of the positive edge only and the duty cycle has no significance - I looked at the data sheet for the MC14538 and it's all coming back to me!

The 2 pulse streams where taken by a pc based oscilloscope connected to the module while I was driving the car on a straight section of road

So the problem with your warning light latched on could be a shorted transistor that drives the warning light .
Old 03-02-2019, 03:46 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
Remember, the speed signal just requires a basic trigger pulse at some minimum pulse width with a varying frequency, i.e. there's no measurement of a duty cycle. As long as your freq generator doesn't generate a duty cycle signal which results in a pulse width less than the minimum, it'll be adequate. Ideally, a freq generator
with a constant pulse width would be ideal, it's not necessary.
That makes sense, but I’m still triggering at 80Hz on all three controllers when my calcs expect it to be 89Hz.

BTW to anyone reading this, quite why this matters to me is not clear, even to me. I guess I just like order in my life.

Last edited by John McM; 03-02-2019 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-02-2019, 04:25 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Originally Posted by John McM

That makes sense, but I’m still triggering at 80Hz on all three controllers when my calcs expect it to be 89Hz.

BTW to anyone reading this, quite why this matters to me is not clear, even to me. I guess I just like order in my life.
Remember, the units you have utilizes an analog design, i.e. it has +/- 5/10% components. The later module is a digital design.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:39 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
Remember, the units you have utilizes an analog design, i.e. it has +/- 5/10% components. The later module is a digital design.
Based on this chart it looks like the standard extension speed is 45mph or 72km/hr therefore 80Hz is quite accurate.
Attached Images  
Old 03-05-2019, 07:42 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

I think the error in the extend frequency is due to the fact that the speed signal input is not a 50% duty cycle square wave. It is a pulse stream made up of a 2.1 ms "off" time with a variable "on" time. See the pics of the speed signal at 40 mph's and at 60 mph's. This would effect the Cx/Rx charge coming out of the MC14538 chip on the module. See hand-written schematic of the module - notes are mine. Components are in similar position as on the module. Let me know if you see something not right and I'll correct it!
I'm currently having your schematic drawing printed in A2 format. I will go through and document the signal/voltage at critical connections on those. Thanks again. You've put a lot of work into that.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:50 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

First spoiler controller fixed. Two faults. 1. The switch transistor for the up relay was faulty where it would switch on, but wouldn't switch off. A dangerous fault as it means the motor continues to drive. 2. The warning light transistor was faulty.

Thanks to the schematic diagram it was easier to fault find than it would have otherwise been. Great collaboration.
Attached Images  
Old 03-14-2019, 05:56 AM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 236 Posts

Nice!
The varistor (big yellow disc) takes care of overcurrent shutdown, so this is not a critical fault, but puts an unnecessary high stall load on the motor before the varistor disconnects.
Cheers,
Tore
Old 03-14-2019, 03:38 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

The schematic is written up using https://www.expresspcb.com/expresspcb/ if you want to download the file and edit the circuit directly it's on my dropbox HERE

The schematic for the digital version of the module was written out using https://diptrace.com/download/download-diptrace/ and the file is HERE Traces have my shorthand naming scheme....Rennlist member RonCT generously loaned out his digital module to me to figure out how to accomplish the RUF code modification to the extend/ retract speeds on the microprocessor. I'd like to find out how they accomplished this because the processor is obsolete, 4 bit, one-time programmable. I figure you'd have to remove the processor and put in a add-on circuit that has a current chip. For various reason I didn't pursue that, but the main reason was the fact that original porsche components, modules, etc have too much value now, and I still have about 8 of the digital modules of my design stuck away somewhere - BOM cost was around $50 for those.

Last edited by mojorizing; 03-14-2019 at 04:04 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:50 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

The schematic is written up using https://www.expresspcb.com/expresspcb/ if you want to download the file and edit the circuit directly it's on my dropbox HERE

The schematic for the digital version of the module was written out using https://diptrace.com/download/download-diptrace/ and the file is HERE Traces have my shorthand naming scheme....Rennlist member RonCT generously loaned out his digital module to me to figure out how to accomplish the RUF code modification to the extend/ retract speeds on the microprocessor. I'd like to find out how they accomplished this because the processor is obsolete, 4 bit, one-time programmable. I figure you'd have to remove the processor and put in a add-on circuit that has a current chip. For various reason I didn't pursue that, but the main reason was the fact that original porsche components, modules, etc have too much value now, and I still have about 8 of the digital modules of my design stuck away somewhere - BOM cost was around $50 for those.
Thanks for the links. I'll have to get my old PC laptop out to download the schematic.

I fixed the second controller. It was another faulty transistor. This time the warning light BC337. If there is a next time it would be the first thing I'd replace. It's cheap and easy to do.
Attached Images  
Old 03-15-2019, 12:49 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Rennlist member RonCT generously loaned out his digital module to me to figure out how to accomplish the RUF code modification to the extend/ retract speeds on the microprocessor. I'd like to find out how they accomplished this because the processor is obsolete, 4 bit, one-time programmable.
1. The microprocessor chip(uP) used was an 8 bit microcontroller with OTP (one time programmability via EPROM technology).
The last 4 bit microprocessor available/used in designs was in the mid to late '70s, e.g. Intel 4004. Remember, the 911 3.2 (intro 1984)
DME ECM was probably designed in about '82-'83 and used an Intel 8 bit controller.
2. RUF most likely had the manufacturer of the digital version, who had a source for the uP chip, revise the source code and then
supply the new chip to RUF or have that manufacturer update the units RUF supplied. It's also possible that RUF obtained the
source code and bought some old stock of the original chip and programmed them for the new up/down settings, but unlikely.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:27 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ToreB
Nice!
The varistor (big yellow disc) takes care of overcurrent shutdown, so this is not a critical fault, but puts an unnecessary high stall load on the motor before the varistor disconnects.
Cheers,
Tore
Thanks Tore. It sounds like that would protect the motor but it would be hard on it long term if the motor has to stall to turn it off at each extension.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:24 PM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 236 Posts

The unit also has timer functions that will shut off the motor when the spoiler is expected to be fully up or down.
Cheers,
Tore
Old 03-15-2019, 03:58 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

On the matter of timing, it might be good to add to your arsenal of tools is a Capacitor checker to verify that the cap is within spec. with regards to leakage and ESR not only capacitance.

Quick Reply: Controller for rear spoiler