Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The silly little question thread ...

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 03:56 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 339 Posts

Haha, my ‘beautiful’ effort. It’s ugly but it works!

Of equal importance to RHD C4 owners is the clutch pipe circled in Red. You either need to be very careful getting the transmission out with it in place or you need to remove the pipe and fit a blank to hold the fluid in. After hitting one and playing guess the part number to replace it I now remove the pipe and blank off the connection left in the car. It’s in my C4 light refurb thread.
Old 02-03-2018, 03:34 PM
james_marshall
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WRT this additional clutch pipe - there doesn't seem to be any mention of it in the removal guide that Im using, on here. Is it possible (really) to just manoeuvre it out the way when dropping the engine...?
Anyone else dropped their C4 and run into this? (I DONT have any caps to block off the pipe...!)
I hope so, as I'm planning on doing the final few steps tomorrow and getting the engine etc out....
fingers crossed.

Last edited by james_marshall; 02-03-2018 at 03:51 PM.
Old 02-04-2018, 08:17 AM
james_marshall
Rennlist Member

Default Cylinder key

Im trying to remove the key that holds the longitudinal slave cylinder to the car?
My guide says just pull it out...! But how? It’s stuck firm in there. Would heat help?

Originally Posted by james_marshall
WRT this additional clutch pipe - there doesn't seem to be any mention of it in the removal guide that Im using, on here. Is it possible (really) to just manoeuvre it out the way when dropping the engine...?
Anyone else dropped their C4 and run into this? (I DONT have any caps to block off the pipe...!)
I hope so, as I'm planning on doing the final few steps tomorrow and getting the engine etc out....
fingers crossed.
Old 02-04-2018, 09:40 AM
MAHack
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...cking-key.html

It can be tough to get out. Try prying downward on the hole in the key. You can always just undo the hard line and you will have better access once the motor is out. If it's that stuck it may need rebuilt or replaced anyway.

Good luck.

Mark
Old 02-04-2018, 05:09 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Im trying to remove the key that holds the longitudinal slave cylinder to the car?
My guide says just pull it out...! But how? It’s stuck firm in there. Would heat help?
No heat required. You have removed the screw that anchors it right? Sorry I had to ask.

If it's still really tight I recall mine had some residual pressure in the lock so I bled that off just a little then was able to wriggle the lock itself to help. I also used the screw hole to hold an automotive pick/awl to get some purchase on it.

I repeat, if the anchor screw is removed then there is nothing else holding it in apart from general mechanical tightness. Do not force these parts. They are expensive to replace.
Old 02-04-2018, 05:14 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

fingers crossed.
It's a hard line that wends its way around the tunnel tightly. It can't be moved out of the way while still attached.

It's not in the manuals. In fact the part is in pet with no description and no image on line. I asked Design 911 for an image before I ordered it and they couldn't give me one. Luckily the part was correct. I used the damaged one to make blanks. For the two ends.

I know it's a pain, but blanking it off and removing the line is the safest way to do this. An engine install on a C4 is more difficult than a C2. The moment angles are involved that clutch line is in the line of fire. Remove it and give yourself a break.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:21 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

If you have an accident its part number 964-423-11000. It sells for GBP 21 at Design 911. I might order another one before they go up in price. My research is in this thread https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...confusion.html
Old 02-04-2018, 11:42 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
​​​​​​https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PCG36103201.html

A picture would be helpful vs a rendering but these should be them.
Thank you Anthony!
Old 03-08-2018, 02:10 PM
james_marshall
Rennlist Member

Default Gearbox oil change

I'm changing the oil in the gearbox - and want to be sure.. I know the correct method for making sure its filled correctly, but I'm reading that around 4 litres of oil (roughly should be needed) Is this right?

Im doing this all out of the car - so is there a way to get the level correct, as if it was in the car and therefore filled properly?
thanks..!!!
Old 03-08-2018, 02:23 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

If you shim the bell housing up so that the face of the bell housing is vertical (plumb), then the transmission would be the same as being in the car. To fill the transmission, fill via the fill port until the oil starts to drip out. Then install and torque the fill plug. It should take approx 4 quarts.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:29 PM
james_marshall
Rennlist Member

Brilliant - thanks to you!
So 4 quarts.... just less than 4 litres then

The main reason for my question for the quantity, is that its the 1st time I've changed the oil since I got the car, and hoped that the oil drained, would be close to, or equal, the oil required to fill..... but so far (and i need to raise the bell housing up a little to be sure) Ive only collected almost exactly 3 litres........ hum......
Old 03-08-2018, 02:46 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

I would also change the gear oil in the front diff if you haven't already done so. I change both the transmission and diff when I do it.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:17 PM
Super90
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Oh, and then, you can clean it up, nice and shiny ! : )

Old 03-08-2018, 05:25 PM
james_marshall
Rennlist Member

I dont think I'd ever be able to get mine THAT shiny! Ive used too many toothbrushes as it is! ;-)
Old 03-08-2018, 05:33 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,168 Posts

Try some Xylene, some rags and brushes and a good respirator

Quick Reply: The silly little question thread ...