The silly little question thread ...

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 04:07 PM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jpar
New ones are aluminum?
I second this. There's aluminum ones now?
Old 12-09-2015, 05:52 PM
luckyJ
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default engine top behind alternator/fan

this is a pic of the obscenity behind my alternator assembly....is this just grime/dirt built up over the years or some kind of leakage?...what area should I monitor here for seepage please?
Attached Images  
Old 12-09-2015, 07:57 PM
luckyJ
Pro

Default Fan Shroud

here is a before/after pic of my fan shroud after a bath of Simple Green...

is this the color of Magnesium?
Attached Images   
Old 12-09-2015, 08:56 PM
Matt Andrews
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

Couple quick ones.

1. Just bought my car. And it has the frown on the nose. (Middle of the front spoiler is pushed up a little.) how big of a deal is this to fix? Do I have to pull the bumper or just the lower valance? I peaked, and I can see metal tabs that may just need to be bent down? Doesn't look like the frunk was pushed up structurally at all.

2. I need new floor mats in cashmere (beige). I can find factory mats in other colors, but only aftermarket cashmere ones. Is this my only option? If so, which aftermarket ones do people use?

3. I'm buying a distributor vent kit. My car is a 1994 but the ppi said this hadn't been done. Is that strange? I thought this issue was fixed by then. Is the a diy posted somewhere for this? (I admittedly didn't search for this one. But I searched the others and couldn't find what I was looking for)
Old 12-10-2015, 02:55 AM
luckyJ
Pro

Originally Posted by LPMM
^^^ THIS. Here is mine (left) compared to the new one (right) I installed. It was still good but since I was in there, I figured it was prudent to replace.
I searched for this part at Pelican and they list a Bosch version for $141...autohousAZ has a Bosch version for $34 but the last two numbers are "35" vs Pelican's "40"

Anyone tried either? Is the price diff due to performance?
Old 12-10-2015, 03:05 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Andrews

2. I need new floor mats in cashmere (beige). I can find factory mats in other colors, but only aftermarket cashmere ones. Is this my only option? If so, which aftermarket ones do people use?
)
I went with black / beige coco mats in my 89. They look really nice.

Old 12-10-2015, 04:24 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 339 Posts

Couple quick ones. 1. Just bought my car. And it has the frown on the nose. (Middle of the front spoiler is pushed up a little.) how big of a deal is this to fix? Do I have to pull the bumper or just the lower valance? I peaked, and I can see metal tabs that may just need to be bent down? Doesn't look like the frunk was pushed up structurally at all. 2. I need new floor mats in cashmere (beige). I can find factory mats in other colors, but only aftermarket cashmere ones. Is this my only option? If so, which aftermarket ones do people use? 3. I'm buying a distributor vent kit. My car is a 1994 but the ppi said this hadn't been done. Is that strange? I thought this issue was fixed by then. Is the a diy posted somewhere for this? (I admittedly didn't search for this one. But I searched the others and couldn't find what I was looking for)
The frown is usually due to the tabs being pushed up, which often breaks the plastic grille that holds the parts in place. Here's mine
Attached Images     
Old 12-10-2015, 08:34 AM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by luckyJ
I searched for this part at Pelican and they list a Bosch version for $141...autohousAZ has a Bosch version for $34 but the last two numbers are "35" vs Pelican's "40"

Anyone tried either? Is the price diff due to performance?
The Bosch was on backorder at the time so I bought the Hella one (928.603.142.00) from EBS Racing, $29 and it has been working fine for the past two years.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:41 AM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Couple quick ones.
3. I'm buying a distributor vent kit. My car is a 1994 but the ppi said this hadn't been done. Is that strange? I thought this issue was fixed by then. Is the a diy posted somewhere for this? (I admittedly didn't search for this one. But I searched the others and couldn't find what I was looking for)
Look for TSB Part ID 2830 Number 9403 - Ignition Distributor Ventilation. Here is the link to it at pcarworkshop. It says that the fix started after production date Aug 13, 1993.
Old 12-10-2015, 12:42 PM
Matt Andrews
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

thanks guys.

So vent kit looks easy enough to install. I'll order one.
On the nose, you are exactly right. the plastic tabs broke. Will it not stay in place with the other ones? I am gathering in order to bend the tabs, I need to take the nose off?
Old 12-10-2015, 12:56 PM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

thanks guys.

So vent kit looks easy enough to install. I'll order one.
On the nose, you are exactly right. the plastic tabs broke. Will it not stay in place with the other ones? I am gathering in order to bend the tabs, I need to take the nose off?
Just take the bottom cover off (black piece). That gives you access to the metal part that you can bend back to proper alignment.
Old 12-10-2015, 01:01 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by HalV
Just take the bottom cover off (black piece). That gives you access to the metal part that you can bend back to proper alignment.
An old but good set of instructions here as well http://web.archive.org/web/200811140...smily_grin.htm
Old 12-10-2015, 01:29 PM
911wings
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@JPAR & Dobermandad
I was told by my shop that the new is aluminum. Check yours for stress fractures and de-lamination along the vanes.

here is one that is aluminum, although not the one i have:

http://www.eastcoastclassics.com/eps...lternator-fan/
Old 12-10-2015, 01:40 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by DobermanDad
I second this. There's aluminum ones now?
I would seriously reconsider using an aluminum fan. Aluminum will weigh 1/3rd more than the magnesium unit. The reciprocating mass will cause the bearing to fail prematurely and will place additional drag on the engine potentially robbing it of HP. Essentially the one thing everyone is trying to reduce to get a freer revving engine. Keeping the fan clean and touching up any damaged paint will help the longevity of these. Also more times we have found they failed due to the PO using a pry bar to secure the fan while torquing down or freeing the nut which results in damaging the fan.

Originally Posted by luckyJ
here is a before/after pic of my fan shroud after a bath of Simple Green...

is this the color of Magnesium?
Yes Magnesium looks like aluminum in its raw form. What you are seeing is mass corrosion. Light marks (salts) in the pre cleaned state and dark pitting in the cleaned. Not much you can do to fix this at this point. It is not as big of a con concern with the housing so a good coat of paint will help but you need to really clean it up and never leave standing water on it. Once cleaned dry it in an oven at around 120 degrees and coat immediately with paint or whatever you plan on using. There are proper approaches but they would require sending out to have applied.
Old 12-10-2015, 01:52 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Couple quick ones.

No beige but black will stay clean a lot longer
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU964MATS.html
Well it is strange because the vent kit is factory installed as of 1991 IIRC. Being a 94 it should have it.

Originally Posted by 911wings
@JPAR & Dobermandad
I was told by my shop that the new is aluminum. Check yours for stress fractures and de-lamination along the vanes.

here is one that is aluminum, although not the one i have:

http://www.eastcoastclassics.com/eps...lternator-fan/
They make a bold statement about the aluminum being superior. I would like to know in which way? Other than corrosion and damage due to neglect and mistreatment the aluminum should be no better and as I stated worse due to the added weight. It appears to not be treated or coated so if the fan is mistreated the same as the magnesium version it will be in no better shape in 20 years.

Buy a factory unit take care of it and it will last as long as you continue to take care of it. Also the picture is for the 11 blade earlier 911 or turbo version. Our cars use the 12 curved blade version

Quick Reply: The silly little question thread ...