Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The silly little question thread ...

Old 05-03-2018, 09:28 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

Below. My cab has two of those spacers. They kept falling off when I installed the plastic cover, so I used super glue to glue the washers to the bottom side of the plastic tray. Without it, the plastic cover leaves a gap
Old 05-05-2018, 01:06 PM
Nostrathomas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm having somewhat strange issue. After longer drives, or days where the car is driven quite a bit (ie. a day out doing errands), the car often doesn’t turn over the next time I turn it on (within the next hour or so). So basically it works fine when it hasn’t been driven as much, but has issues when it has. Whenever the is happens I need to wait for a few minutes and try again, it eventually does start...but it's relatively random.

Any thoughts on what that might be? Starter? Alternator? The battery is relatively new (about 2 years old), and the previous owner had the alternator replaced about 5-6 years ago. I also have the solid-state DME relay.
Old 05-05-2018, 01:31 PM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Nostra..what happens when you turn the key and it doesnt turn over..is there a click as if starter is trying to engage..sounds like heat soak on the starter...could also be grounds so you want to clean those..

More info would help
Old 05-06-2018, 10:08 AM
No_snivelling
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 128 Posts
Default Where does this part go?

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
Below. My cab has two of those spacers. They kept falling off when I installed the plastic cover, so I used super glue to glue the washers to the bottom side of the plastic tray. Without it, the plastic cover leaves a gap
Thanks Rob,
That's a great idea to glue the spacers in place. I probably dropped mine without even knowing they were there the first time I removed the cover. I put them underneath, but the seal is still not perfect. I am thinking I will add another spacer to shim it up until it is tight.
Old 05-06-2018, 11:50 AM
Nostrathomas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Silvertarga
Nostra..what happens when you turn the key and it doesnt turn over..is there a click as if starter is trying to engage..sounds like heat soak on the starter...could also be grounds so you want to clean those..
More info would help
I'll have to confirm this the next time it happens (I'm just unpacking it now from winter storage, so I haven't had a chance to drive it this year), but from what I remember it was more of a long whine that happens when you turn the key. But again, Ill confirm once I drive it...either way, thanks for your insight!
Old 05-06-2018, 06:12 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

I installed a Momo steering wheel and now I get a quick honking of the horn when turning left. Any ideas on what could cause this?
Old 05-06-2018, 08:02 PM
tjb616
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 105 Posts

LPMM, I just went through that with a quick release install. The fix was replacing the horn contact (new/old shown below), cleaning the hub with alcohol, and adjusting the distance between the turn signal housing where the contact pad mounts and the hub. No real answer as to the correct distance, I just used trial and error until I got a consistently working horn.

Name:  PMKo0CK.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  442.2 KB
Old 05-06-2018, 08:10 PM
LPMM
Drifting

^^^ Thanks, everything is brand new so I don’t think it is the hub or the horn contact, and I slightly bent the copper part outward per the threads I found. What do you mean by adjusting the distance between the turn signal housing and the hub?
Old 05-07-2018, 09:58 AM
tjb616
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 105 Posts

LPMM, the unit pictured below is mounted to the steering column with a collar and an 8mm nut to tighten and loosen it, usually at 6 o'clock on the column. With the covers off if you look underneath, it's rather obvious. Loosening it allows you to pull the whole console closer or push it further from the hub. Too far and you will get a poor contact or no horn at all. Too close and it acts funky, honking and such.

The other possibility is that you have a wire grounding somewhere in the hub. Make sure everything is shrink wrapped or taped up.

Name:  KhJENuX.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  988.6 KB
Old 05-07-2018, 10:47 AM
LPMM
Drifting

Originally Posted by tjb616
LPMM, the unit pictured below is mounted to the steering column with a collar and an 8mm nut to tighten and loosen it, usually at 6 o'clock on the column. With the covers off if you look underneath, it's rather obvious. Loosening it allows you to pull the whole console closer or push it further from the hub. Too far and you will get a poor contact or no horn at all. Too close and it acts funky, honking and such.

The other possibility is that you have a wire grounding somewhere in the hub. Make sure everything is shrink wrapped or taped up.
Outstanding, tyvm TJ. I did notice that the horn contact would not fully seat inside the little catch hole, so judging from your post it seems I would need to move the unit back a tad to allow for a better fit.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:05 AM
LPMM
Drifting

Another silly question... Do coilovers settle after install? Talking to a shop and they are telling me "typically we will drive the car a little bit after installing and align accordingly from there".
I thought there may be some settling and that it may be necessary to have the suspension height and alignment re-checked after a few days/miles.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:04 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

Do they settle? Perhaps but not noticeably for the casual driver. Perhaps a race team would see it.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:16 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,167 Posts

Originally Posted by LPMM
Another silly question... Do coilovers settle after install? Talking to a shop and they are telling me "typically we will drive the car a little bit after installing and align accordingly from there".
I thought there may be some settling and that it may be necessary to have the suspension height and alignment re-checked after a few days/miles.
Usually a car should sit overnight or in some cases depending on bushings/shocks used etc should be driven a little before final alignment. The H&R supercup suspension I have in my track car settled considerably after its first event.
Old 06-26-2018, 05:29 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

hoping someone will spoon feed me the part numbers im looking for.

at some point in time, the plastic surround the steering column was trimmed, and therefore looks rough. im looking for the top cover, but also the lower cover to delete the cruise control stalk as well. thanks in advance RL braintrust
Old 06-26-2018, 05:50 PM
ffc
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jjm4life
hoping someone will spoon feed me the part numbers im looking for.

at some point in time, the plastic surround the steering column was trimmed, and therefore looks rough. im looking for the top cover, but also the lower cover to delete the cruise control stalk as well. thanks in advance RL braintrust
I think the PET calls them switch housing. the top comes in two models -90 and 90- as 96455227300 and 96455227301.

The bottom one comes in eight variants. I don't know what the variants are I'm afraid. See the snapshot below. Items 2 are the top housings, items 3 are the bottom housings.

I hope this helps.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The silly little question thread ...