Sponsored by:

Singer on Jay Leno

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 08:12 PM
hamah
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Oracle
Not buying it... Singer as a business proposition has the days numbered... At that price they'll run out of stupid rich people soon.
Even RUF, Gembala, etc.. sold stuff by parts not as a whole..
Singer is not an engineering company, just a boutique shop.

Love the cars but the price is not realistic. Slapping the arguably best parts doesn't mean you know what you're doing.
As a viable business proposition long term perhaps you are right but this is hardly an exercise in "slapping on the best parts". It is much, much more than that. To start with every outside panel but the doors are recreated in CF....and that is just the outside.

The car is pure ****. If I had the money I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger but that won't happen. If I'm really lucky perhaps someday I could take some ideas from Singer and Magnus and do my own project.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:27 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Not buying it... Singer as a business proposition has the days numbered... At that price they'll run out of stupid rich people soon.

Love the cars but the price is not realistic. Slapping the arguably best parts doesn't mean you know what you're doing.
let me guess? you have zero restoration experience.

Try replacing body parts with carbon fiber and having perfect panel gap fitment.
Custom parts like wheels,wire harnesses, seats. All made in low production exclusive for them.
Custom valved suspension. proper built motors and transmissions. List goes on.

I see $20k donor, easy $100k in parts and the full labour to strip the donor and start from the bottom up which is at least $60k for a bone stock car let alone this custom tub so the hours would easily double….

To perform a restoration at this level of finish using one off exclusive parts is indeed expensive and altough it may appear to be no more then a modified 911, it is truely a show car build for those who can appreciate it and afford it.

I cannot afford a full restoration on a 1970 911, let alone one of these

In their business they wont get rich, but they will make a living if they keep at long days and hands on hard work. They can only build so many a year thus they are kept busy with a waiting list which appears things are gong well.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:32 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

a car worth well more than the sum of its parts. as much as i would love to have some singer parts on my car i can understand why they never will offer off the shelf components. to those that dont get it, maybe thats part of the point.
meanwhile, there is an *** for every seat. and plenty of $$ in this world to keep their order books open for years to come. and the more 964 they do, the fewer actual 964 remain. we all win haha
Old 12-24-2013, 11:42 PM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

They may end up selling parts, the RingBrothers do. I am not 100% sure the cost of one of their custom builds but I hear it is close to a Singer. http://ringbrothers.com/builds

Last edited by SuperUser; 12-25-2013 at 09:53 AM.
Old 12-25-2013, 05:19 AM
amdevo
Instructor

its defi gorgeous but i do have a problem with it being a backdate Kinda

im more into the classic hotrod reciepe, id take a tuthil 911 over this and those arent cheap either
Old 12-25-2013, 11:12 AM
911S3.6
Pro

Yup_ it's got no soul.
Like a beautiful woman who is frigid and cold. All the right parts but no sensuality.
Good for Singer- he has found a market for those who would rather look good than feel good. lol!
And hey, we all know, when you cannot feel good, you will pay anything to look the part, eh?
It ain't a Porsche, THAT is the proof. It's a bitzasinger.
Old 12-25-2013, 12:12 PM
Jaye Bass
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 125 Posts

Singer isn't a Porsche? To me its the Eigen-911.
Old 12-25-2013, 12:13 PM
Jaye Bass
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 125 Posts

Just to back up what you are saying, Wilhoit claims that the "average" 356 restoration by his shop runs 200K.

Originally Posted by tcsracing1

Try replacing body parts with carbon fiber and having perfect panel gap fitment.
Custom parts like wheels,wire harnesses, seats. All made in low production exclusive for them.
Custom valved suspension. proper built motors and transmissions. List goes on.

I see $20k donor, easy $100k in parts and the full labour to strip the donor and start from the bottom up which is at least $60k for a bone stock car let alone this custom tub so the hours would easily double….

To perform a restoration at this level of finish using one off exclusive parts is indeed expensive and altough it may appear to be no more then a modified 911, it is truely a show car build for those who can appreciate it and afford it.

In their business they wont get rich, but they will make a living if they keep at long days and hands on hard work. They can only build so many a year thus they are kept busy with a waiting list which appears things are gong well.
Old 12-25-2013, 12:40 PM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I love singer Porsches but at that price, I would do a full conversion/restoration on my 993 at the Ruf factory.

But I understand the Singer price, there is a huge amount of labor and quality into it.
Old 12-25-2013, 03:50 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911S3.6
Yup_ it's got no soul.
Like a beautiful woman who is frigid and cold. All the right parts but no sensuality.
Good for Singer- he has found a market for those who would rather look good than feel good. lol!
And hey, we all know, when you cannot feel good, you will pay anything to look the part, eh?
It ain't a Porsche, THAT is the proof. It's a bitzasinger.
A fully restored 964 punched out to 3.8L with a 6 speed sitting on vintage style Fuchs with some original stainless window trim from the 1970s and a long nose has no soul?

If thats the case then there a lot of Porsche here without souls…

The singer is a modern day outlaw. It is a 60s-70s era styled 911 using the best 911 tub available.
Built from the ground up using the best of what porsche had to offer.

Perhaps if Singer used a 1970 tub it would have more soul since it would look more age appropriate is what you are saying?

Last edited by tcsracing1; 12-25-2013 at 11:02 PM.
Old 12-25-2013, 03:54 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

This, what he said^^^^^
Old 12-25-2013, 08:27 PM
ShootingStar
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A fully restored 964 punched out to 3.8L with a 6 speed sitting on vintage style Fuchs with some original stainless window trim from the 1970s and a long nose has no soul?

If thats the case then there a lot of Porsche here without souls…

The singer is a modern day outlaw. It is a 60s-70s era styled 911 using the best 911 tub available.
Built from the ground up using the best of what porsche had to offer.

Perhaps if Singer used a 1970 tub it would have more sole since it would look more age appropriate is what you are saying?
I believe they originally used a 930 chassis and it didn't work. So they had to re-tool and re-develop for the 964. One of the guys who works for Singer is on the board. He may chime in and set the story straight.
Old 12-25-2013, 08:50 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

The #2 guy at Singer in fact. The other dude besides Rob in the Chris Harris video.
Old 12-25-2013, 11:04 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

They use the 964 tub for the coil over suspension. No torsion bars.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:17 AM
Oracle
Pro

Yep, but that is not relevant as I'm not questioning the quality or man hours in each car.. For that there are cars that have had more hours in the build and are not as expensive.

Wait until the Singer cars are on the re-sale market. Just like any hot-rod, they have thousands of hours and tens of thousands in parts but they never get the fair market value on the resale.
Very soon after market parts will be available based on the Singer design.
For me that is a hot-rod shop at very high hourly rates that have found a niche product.
IMO No different than any other chopper...

Quick Reply: Singer on Jay Leno