Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

me and my 964: an intro

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 11:10 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

And my luck continues. Key got stuck in the initiation with the car on. Ended up disconnecting he battery to shut it off, and called a flatbed. I use on of those leans reproduction keys pelican parts sells with all the holes drilled in it. I think the key is bent and won't come out. Hopefully I don't need a whole new ignition. The customary "car on a flatbed" pic...
Attached Images    
Old 06-20-2014, 11:12 PM
Rey Gunn
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Car's coming along nicely! Congrats on the new wheels too! On the pole positions, how do you like them? I'm thinking about getting a set for my car.

Sorry about your latest mishap. Hope everything turns out.

Last edited by Rey Gunn; 06-20-2014 at 11:44 PM. Reason: added text
Old 06-21-2014, 10:48 AM
Mark964-986
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jjm4life
And my luck continues. Key got stuck in the initiation with the car on. Ended up disconnecting he battery to shut it off, and called a flatbed. I use on of those leans reproduction keys pelican parts sells with all the holes drilled in it. I think the key is bent and won't come out. Hopefully I don't need a whole new ignition. The customary "car on a flatbed" pic...

I'm surprised you got that key to work in the first place! It doesn't have exactly the same profile as my '90 C4 key. I had 2 cut and they didn't work. Keep up the good work. She's a beauty!
Old 06-22-2014, 12:56 AM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Damn. I need a new ignition core, which mean door locks too. This should be an expensive one. Guess i should have seen this coming?
Also took off that awful wing over the stock spoiler only to discover that the wing is actually holding it together. My factory spoiler is cracked in 6 places. Reattached it until i figure out what i should put in its place
Old 06-23-2014, 11:42 AM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am about to order a few things from rennline. Finally get to see a 964 with all black pedals, track matts etc.

Looks awesome.

jeff
Old 06-23-2014, 12:54 PM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Jjm4life
Damn. I need a new ignition core, which mean door locks too. This should be an expensive one. Guess i should have seen this coming?
Also took off that awful wing over the stock spoiler only to discover that the wing is actually holding it together. My factory spoiler is cracked in 6 places. Reattached it until i figure out what i should put in its place
Might be a good time to switch over to 993 door handles?
Old 06-23-2014, 02:36 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by R6XTERRA
I am about to order a few things from rennline. Finally get to see a 964 with all black pedals, track matts etc.

Looks awesome.

jeff
Thanks. All very good quality parts. I went back and forth on aluminum or black. I think i made the right call. Think im gonna get a new(er) steering wheel next.

Originally Posted by SuperUser
Might be a good time to switch over to 993 door handles?
Kicked around the idea, but after dropping 5k on wheels this week, and now this, my wallet needs some recovery time. Need a new wing more than door handles too. As it turns out my wing is actually holding together the corners of the oem spoiler. Its cracked in 6 places
Old 06-23-2014, 02:38 PM
spitz17
Intermediate

Great looking car Jjm4life - I remember you from the Lotus forums. I believe I was interested in buying your Exige at one point. Looks like we've both moved towards Porsche 964's.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:46 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by spitz17
Great looking car Jjm4life - I remember you from the Lotus forums. I believe I was interested in buying your Exige at one point. Looks like we've both moved towards Porsche 964's.
Haha yea i regret selling that one. My white exige was awesome. Ended up building a black elise about a year or so later after a brief time with a noble (awful) and a rs4(boring).
Attached Images   
Old 06-26-2014, 06:07 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Got the car back today.

New ignition and everything associated with it. New door locks, and all of the associated parts cleaned and lived along either new door handle seals. Its amazing how much nicer all those parts operate. Smooth with a very positive feel. Details make the difference.

While he was in there, he fixed my fire extinguisher mount, lower dash to make it line up perfectly ( p/o had double side taped the ends off the oe dash pad) and even adjusted my gas tank door pull.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:01 PM
dhc905
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

How much did that all set you back? I don't really want a new ignition, but my doors aren't awesome. I am pretty close to dissassembling the driver's side and greasing everything so it has that nice feel to it. My passenger side door is still stuck shut, which really is my first priority at this point.

Pains me everytime a passenger has to step on the seats to get in.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:51 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by dhc905
How much did that all set you back? I don't really want a new ignition, but my doors aren't awesome. I am pretty close to dissassembling the driver's side and greasing everything so it has that nice feel to it. My passenger side door is still stuck shut, which really is my first priority at this point.

Not sure how much Matt spent on this but Sunset quoted me $569.40 for a coded ignition lock and $395.24ea for coded door handles.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:29 AM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dhc905

That would drive me nuts. I think it was around $1000 in parts. If you can, i highly revoke taking your doors apart, cleaning and degreasing. I know my parts are all new, but it has such a satisfying feel to it now. I have to imagine walking into a dealer in 1990 this is what it felt like.
Also discovered a single light under my dash to light the driver side footwell. Never seen this before today. Kept coming on just mind shutting off... Guess i have another fun project to chase down.

Wheels ship the 8th. Tires are in tomorrow. Third set ive bought in the last month haha.

Was out with a guy who had a ithica verde Maserati tonight. Makes me want to paint mine even more than ever. But what color.....
Old 07-10-2014, 10:12 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Just gonna leave this here.

[IMG][/IMG]
They show up tomorrow

Last edited by Jjm4life; 07-10-2014 at 10:52 PM.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:26 PM
jpar
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use a photo hosting site like photobucket

Quick Reply: me and my 964: an intro