Sponsored by:

Happy Monday - How was your weekend?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 10:17 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts
Default Happy Monday - How was your weekend?

I had a great weekend. My engine & tranny rebuild project is finally nearing the end. My friends and I installed the engine back in the car on Saturday. It felt really good to see it back in the car. Sunday was spent double checking everything. I have two items left to do and plan to start it next Saturday.

Anyone have any tips on breaking in the engine? I plan on pulling the DME fuse and cranking the engine until I have oil pressure. Then starting it. My cam came with instructions for running it over 2000 rpm for the first 15 minutes. Any other items that I should keep in mind? I plan on changing the oil and rechecking the valves at 1000 miles.

In addition to double checking my engine installation Sunday, I helped a friend doing rust repair. My days of driving the 964 for this season are growing low. We had snow flurries Sunday morning. I drove the 964 to work despite it being about 25 degrees outside. I know its not ideal for my tires (Michelin Pilot Sports) but its hard to not drive it. The roads are still salt free.

How was your weekend?

Last edited by Rocket Rob; 11-04-2013 at 11:41 AM.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:16 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

^^^^^^^^^
I'm always impressed by the DIY level of this forum!

All I did this weekend was wash my car... then my wife's car (smart move).
Old 11-04-2013, 12:06 PM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

After a while without the car and wanting to do this for years I finally got around to changing the view..
Name:  Dash 6.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  279.4 KB
...and also did an adaption as it was stalling a bit more than usual when cold.
Name:  Dash 7.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  361.7 KB

Happy motoring guys!!
Old 11-04-2013, 12:22 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

Trying to tap out four brake cooling duct bolts frozen into the front a-arms yesterday. No luck using heat, a bfh, my vise as a press, and I couldn't keep my drill centered well enough to drill them out. Admitting defeat and dropping them off at the shop this afternoon. But, the a-arms will be going back into the car with their new walrod bushings - a pain of a job, but pretty straight-forward at least.. Looking forward to that.

Rob- congrats on the build! Your break-in list covers all the basics that I've ever heard. The only question is whether you take it easy for the first 2k miles, varying the rpm during drives and staying away from redline (one camp). Or, beat the living crap out of it and hit redline often so that the pistons stretch up to their full height in the cylinders and the rings seal all the way to the top (another camp). The second version is at least more fun.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:22 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Spent the weekend dismantling the old ignition wires and transferring all the grommets, sleeves, and clip hardware to the new NGK wires.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:52 PM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Spent 3 hours detailing the 964 for the Caffeine & Octane show on Sunday then watched my Gerogia Bulldogs whip the Florida Gators ***. Sampled some Colonel EH Taylor Small Batch bourbon after the victory.

I had to get to C&O Sunday morning before 6AM just to get a good spot with the rest of the P-car crazies. Met a few good guys and also have 3 very good leads on buyers for my car. I went over the car in detail with each of them and encouraged PPI's so they can get a confirmation on the car's great condition. The car received many compliments that day.

There was a 86+ Speedster with Fuchs and 44k miles on it parked next to my car. Can't believe I didn't get any pictures.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:07 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

sounds like lots of upgrades getting done ... I was lazy and just drove the car

Actually had the South African Porsche Club Parade i.e. three days of track time, auto-x, hillclimbs, top end runs and qtr mile drags in between sunny beaches and mountain passes ... will ad pics, vids and time sheets over the week.

Oh and Rene Rast just happened to be there ... which was nice
About 12 RSs (only 1x 64 and 2 turbos, 3x 93s and rest 96/7) and this monster GT2Evo with 640HP and weighing 1100kg which broke the hillclimb record by 2sec!
Attached Images   
Old 11-04-2013, 02:29 PM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

There must be a 964 curse! When someone posts a problem, there seems to be a group of us in the same predicament.

Recently, a few 964er's posted about the fan hub bearing going bad.

Well...... I looked and my fan was rubbing the outer housing, so $115 and 3 hours later, I put in a new fan hub and "while I was in there" painted the fan and housing.

Quick Reply: Happy Monday - How was your weekend?