Sponsored by:

Changing direction of wipers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 09:56 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts
Default Changing direction of wipers?

I saw in a thread once a discussion about how to change the direction of the wipers so they park themselves on the right rather than the left. Can't find it for the life of me.

Does anyone remember where that was or know how to make the change?
Old 10-06-2013, 10:13 PM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Goughary
I saw in a thread once a discussion about how to change the direction of the wipers so they park themselves on the right rather than the left. Can't find it for the life of me.

Does anyone remember where that was or know how to make the change?
There was one on the 993 forum, not sure if it would be the same.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:22 PM
jellonailer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Brilliant. Why didnt I think of that.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:13 AM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's the DIY for 993s

http://www.pcarworkshop.com/index.ph...dshield_wipers
Old 10-07-2013, 01:48 AM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

FYI the first time you drive on the freeway in a light to medium rain, you might decide that Porsche's engineers did it right. After I did the swap I found that water would blow off the hood and cowl panel up the windshield in front of me, while my passenger's side of the windshield was kept dry by the parked wipers. I swapped mine back and just adjusted them so they parked as low as possible on the driver's side.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:38 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 223 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by ChaseN
FYI the first time you drive on the freeway in a light to medium rain, you might decide that Porsche's engineers did it right. After I did the swap I found that water would blow off the hood and cowl panel up the windshield in front of me, while my passenger's side of the windshield was kept dry by the parked wipers. I swapped mine back and just adjusted them so they parked as low as possible on the driver's side.
Agreed, although it looks better with them parked on the passenger side and you get a better view of the road if you use your car in the rain it will probably drive you mad. The easiest way to see is to remove the relay and undo the 2 nuts and just flip the arms over, ok they wont park automatically but you soon get to be good at getting them to stop at the bottom f the screen. The PCar way takes hours and is a skin remover!
Old 10-07-2013, 07:35 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with ChaseN ++++ leave them as-is. When flopped, you end up with lots of water spray and worse visibility overall.

Easy to do, you simply need to loosen the main arm (13MM) and flip it 180 deg. DON'T lose your socket off the wrench or you won't see it again until you remove your heater box to fix your Evaporator.

There, that's three, THREE pieces of free advice learned the hard way.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:31 PM
plambert
Instructor

Years ago I swapped the wipers on my 3.2. After doing so and driving in the rain for a few weeks, I swapped them back to their original orientation.

Guess which way my 964 wipers sit?

Old 10-09-2013, 02:45 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Goughary,

I too did it years ago... and I've left it like that ever since. I love it and drive in the rain all the time.

Pull the fuse in the funk and test it out to see if you like it. You can always put the fuse back in if you find it to be miserable in the rain.
Like 911PERVY mentioned, after pulling the fuse you, lose the intermittent feature and have total control over where the wipers stop. I didn't adjust any of the wiper linkages.

This is another 5 minute mod, that is totally reversible (no pun intended). I love that!
The view down the hood is so worth it!

Quick Reply: Changing direction of wipers?