964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project "Green with envy" 964 C4

Old 01-24-2019, 03:00 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 558 Likes on 337 Posts

How did I miss this thread? Great work. I love reading about other serial DIY nuts, as it doesn’t make me feel so weird!
Old 01-24-2019, 03:59 PM
Greg Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 273 Posts

I missed it too. Love it.

Mr. Wolfe
Old 01-24-2019, 04:17 PM
jwbavalon
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the thread. Interesting that you are changing out your H4s and many of us in North America would like to change their H5s for H4s.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:40 PM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Meget pen! What a wonderful car!
Old 01-25-2019, 11:58 AM
dandee
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks guys!
As promised. More pics. I promise to document the progress even better from now on.

Here are the Pole Position seat cushins i made.
They are actually quite discreet. In direct sunlight, you can see the lettering, however, inside the car, they are more toned down.

The plan for now is to run them with the new cloth backing on the Recaros, but I've bought enough leather to make.. well, leather Pole Positions.
Old 01-26-2019, 01:58 AM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

Received 224 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by dandee
Thanks guys!
As promised. More pics. I promise to document the progress even better from now on.

Here are the Pole Position seat cushins i made.
They are actually quite discreet. In direct sunlight, you can see the lettering, however, inside the car, they are more toned down.

The plan for now is to run them with the new cloth backing on the Recaros, but I've bought enough leather to make.. well, leather Pole Positions.
Fun. Ambitious. Show us a couple photos of the process...

There was a very thorough review of oil leak fixes on Pelican by Perelet that might interest you. He's a wizard. Most or all can be performed with the engine in place.

Old 01-26-2019, 04:05 PM
9SIX4-C4
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 102 Posts

another great thread, revived! thanks for all of these wonderful posts, photos and details!
Old 01-28-2019, 09:39 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

glad to see this still progressing .. so I take it the place that sold the covers didn't impress? seat covers for recaro
Old 01-28-2019, 03:18 PM
Rey Gunn
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love the recaro seat cushions. Where did you source the fabric? I'd love to get my hands on some. Always loved this recaro fabric on the old school seats that were gradient. I had a set of recaros with the grey gradient in my old car. Any info is appreciated.
Old 01-28-2019, 05:20 PM
Tmistry
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 49 Posts

Count me among those that missed this thread! Now subscribed.
Old 02-02-2019, 05:17 PM
dandee
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey guys, Thanks for the support!

Originally Posted by HiWind
glad to see this still progressing .. so I take it the place that sold the covers didn't impress? seat covers for recaro
The seat covers were spot on. Original Recaro outer "horseshoe" was ordered, and installed. The reason I'm eager for leather, is that the entire interior is leather. Dash, wheel, doorcards, rear seats etc. I'm not sure cloth PPs will do.
But, we'll see. I've changed my mind before

Last weekend, I was supposed to fit the new Zimmerman front brakes, I saw a tear in the inner CV boot. So off went the driveshaft.
While under there, I removed the front undertray, and found that both diff gaskets were leaking. So off went both driveshafts, and another order placed to Rosepassion. (Great company)
I also found that both rubbers for the steering rack were torn. So I had to order a set of those as well.

Meanwhile, the new oilcooler appeared. new vs. old.

All new rubbers and assembled.

I forgot how much of a mess it is repacking the cv joint with greese. Luckily I only had to do one.

Finished the front calippers, OEM black paint, new dust boots, and new gold porsche script, to match the rears I refurbished some years ago.

Tomorrows plan, before Superbowl, I'll change the diff gaskets, reinstall driveshafts, refill diff oil, clean up area where the oil cooler is, and reinstall.
If time permits, I'll reinstall brake discs and calipers.
If my phone doesn't shut down from the temperature, I'll snap some pix.
Old 02-06-2019, 05:25 AM
Garydose
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Fantastic!

Can't wait to see how those headlights look, did you come up with that solution?
Old 02-06-2019, 08:00 AM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 203 Posts

I admire your fearless approach to projects. Great thread...
Old 02-18-2019, 02:23 PM
ePa
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dandee
Well.. time for an update, I guess.
Last post was back in 2016. Wow.
It's stil not back on the road, but progress has been made. Crazy to think I've owned the 964 for 6 years, and driven it a total of maybe 200 miles.
Oh well..
In the summer of 2018 i was evicted from my rented garage, and forced to move the 964 to the family garage. With 3 cars, there was no space for all of them. That led to me selling my Audi URS6 daily, and resorting to public transportation, and borrowing my girlfriends car from time to time.
Here is a picture from when it was removed from storage. Note the inch thick layer of dust.

After a proper detailing job, it looked like this.

I acquired a set of cheap and worn 18"s from a local porsche-dude.

Yes, they are 8+11x18 with some fairly worn rubber. I decided to refurb them myself, in my garden man-shed.

Then, I went to work on the engine. (again)

Pulled the Alternator and fan assembly, and with my newly acquired Kärcher steam cleaner, I went to town.

Yuch!

Now thats more like it!

Replaced the alternator, painted the shroud and fan, and re-routed the spark plug cables behind the shroud.
This happened during late summer/autumn 2018.

Fast forward to 2019, and being freezing temperatures in the garage, I am being forced to do some mods from inside the house.

The original H4 headlight.

A vw golf mk2 aftermarket crosshair headlight

Clear lens from a '59 vw bus

Et voila!

I'm excited to see what they look like on the car. If I don't like it, everything is reversible, and I can put back the original reflector.
Next up, the tacho.

Hello

Finished

Still waiting on new LED bulbs, for the instruments, and I plan to change them all.

Also happening right now: Pics coming!
New brake discs and pads for the front. Waiting on new dust boots for the calippers, before a lick of paint.
New front oil cooler. I pressure tested the old one, and that had a bad leak in the bottom.

I bought a sowing machine to finish the cushions for the Pole Positions. Not being satisfied with the original fabric, I'm making some new covers with black Recaro font on them.
Will post some more pix asap. I probably forgot some things i did over the last 2 years.

Thanks for your interest!

Could it be possible to have pictures behind the light? How did You attach mk2 light to original "frame"? Do you have leveling system in your setup?

I have similar project but not yet solved all the issues...

Name:  NBmCjXDl.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  51.2 KB
Name:  WHvlXlCl.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  67.7 KB
Am I the only one who doesn't see original pictures? :/
Old 02-18-2019, 02:57 PM
Pacific German
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Super jealous.