Sponsored by:

Plus Sized - Rolling with the Phatness

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 04:43 PM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

Received 224 Likes on 160 Posts

Laurent,

The oil thing is unacceptable. Better to be your own expert because you'll do a better job than they did the first time you try. And you'll be even better the second. This is not rocket science but this story is told over and over and over again.

Looking forward to the Cup I's on this car! Seriously. Going to be great with the ducts and what not.

Also, good choice on the mounts. So many people go through gyrations on choosing motor mounts. I have the Wevos and love them, their simplicity and their durability. Really tightens the feel. Done and done.
Old 04-14-2015, 02:48 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by HiWind
nice progress Laurent .. nice clean workshop too and car looks to appreciate the attention.
Paint looks great too.

And 944 posts ... are you hinting at your next project
Thanks Matt. The paint is not perfect but very decent for its age, it was repainted at the time of the conversion, sometime in the mid to late '90s. LOL @ the post count but not hinting at a 944, going for 20 more to hopefully get into another 964 project. I've been looking high and low for a Targa Tip for my wife, however no luck thus far. I know it is a tough find but I came across a couple, one I was too late for and had just sold, the other is ridiculously priced for the condition. I would prefer a Targa to leave the door open to eventually find a Coupe for me and have all 3 body styles but if I strike out, I may consider an interesting color 964 Cab Tip or even... wait for it... a '95 993 Cab Tip. A totally insane idea would be to get a Cab for my wife and then turn mine back into a Targa. I can dream, can't I? But a WB Targa would be cool.

Originally Posted by Paul284pt
Hi Laurent,

Your car looks absolutely fab.

Sorry to hear about the oil spill, yet again. I wonder if they spill much beer Probably not, maybe they'd take much better car of that

Never mind, you'll have all summer to burn it off

Cheers,
Paul
Thanks Paul, much appreciated. If my car turns out 1/10th as nice as yours, I'll be a happy camper. So true about not spilling beer.

Originally Posted by c didy
Laurent,

The oil thing is unacceptable. Better to be your own expert because you'll do a better job than they did the first time you try. And you'll be even better the second. This is not rocket science but this story is told over and over and over again.

Looking forward to the Cup I's on this car! Seriously. Going to be great with the ducts and what not.

Also, good choice on the mounts. So many people go through gyrations on choosing motor mounts. I have the Wevos and love them, their simplicity and their durability. Really tightens the feel. Done and done.
Thanks and totally agree on the oil thing. First time was due to the car being new to me and needing a valve adjustment, second time was that I was pressed for time before putting it away for winter and I never dreamt they would do it again after I warned them! Lesson learned.

I'm not going to put the Cup1s on this car or else I'd have to change the trailing arms or run ridiculous spacers (NB suspension on WB). I simply bought them because the deal was too good to pass up and you can never have too many wheels.

Agreed on the mounts, I was leaning toward the 993 ones but fellow RLer HalV convinced me to go with the Wevo instead and I am glad I did. Awesome engine mounts.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:04 PM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LPMM
Thanks Damon. I exchanged a few PMs with Andrew and I'll most likely give the Sumi's a try, I am not taking a huge risk given the price and I also read some more favorable reviews from the 993 guys.
I have Sumi's on my '02 WRX and have been very happy with them. They don't have the stick of some of the ones on your list but are quiet and ride very nicely.
Old 05-08-2015, 01:57 PM
LPMM
Drifting

And 944 posts ... are you hinting at your next project

This would make for a better project, this time in a Coupe or Targa flavor.
Attached Images  
Old 05-08-2015, 02:15 PM
jotaking
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Love this pic!!

Serious Pipes & Great rear

Old 05-08-2015, 03:50 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Originally Posted by jotaking
Love this pic!!
Serious Pipes & Great rear
Thanks man, it is loud and wide.

Last weekend, I spoke with Damon @ Tire Rack and I ordered a set of Sumitomo HTRZIII. I figured that I was not risking much in trying them out given the wallet friendly pricing, and Damon's customer service was outstanding. Since he mentioned that the Sumi's run a little on the narrow side, I decided to stick with the 225/40 up front in hopes that my rubbing issues will be diminished or eliminated, and I moved to 295/30 in the rear. The tires shipped on Monday and by Wednesday, they were at my doorstep ready to replace the 10 year old Bridgestone's.

So this morning, I took the 964 out for the first time since I put it away for winter and I drove to Porsche Minneapolis to have the new tires mounted and balanced. It turns out they service quite a few air-cooled, they have 2 mechanics dedicated to them, and they did a fantastic job taking care of everything. Upon talking to them, the really nice thing is that they will service your car while allowing you to bring your own parts if you find them cheaper somewhere else. Definitely an outstanding dealer and my new place of choice for service going forward --> no more oil spills! . It is hard to see in these pics, but in person you could really tell that the Sumi's are narrower than the SO2's they replaced and that the 295 Sumi's are just about the same size as the 285 SO2's.

Fronts

Rears

All done

Next is for me to fiddle a little with the ride height and then to bring it back to Porsche Minneapolis for an alignment.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:02 PM
LPMM
Drifting

A little over a year ago, I purchased a set of 997 GT2 carbon buckets. These are incredibly good looking, insanely comfortable, but crazy expensive. They were sitting in my house while I was pondering what to do with them but with their value going up, I started feeling guilty about having such expensive seats so I sold them to a local RLer earlier this year. While my bank account got a little fatter, I instantly knew I had made a mistake so I told Gregg to drop me a note if he ever considered selling the seats. Two months later, Gregg emailed me that he wanted to free some cash for a Cup car he had his eye on, and just like that I had my seats back. Obligatory pictures.

The seats are Perlon and the material has a great feel, however black does not really match my interior and since the cobalt interior has multiple shades of blue, I figured I'll have to get a little creative with the inserts.

After much thinking I decided on two options, one was to do RS style inserts and the other was to go retro style. Having a cab and not really wanting leather on the seating surfaces, I decided to go with the latter. I’ve always been a fan of tartan (wore my share as a youth) and I was really excited about doing something different but then, with so many great choices it started to get downright confusing. I finally settled on 3 shades and the great folks at Lochcarron of Scotland sent me the samples below.

My wife voted for the more subdued Patriot Modern, but my daughter and I preferred to go all out and selected the Help for Heroes. Life got in the way, a year passed and when I finally emailed Neil from Lochcarron, he informed me that they had to remove the Help for Heroes fabric by the meter as technically this tartan is only available in official finished products. Huge disappointment but this is where their customer service really shines. Neil checked with his manager and they agreed to sell me the fabric since it was available at the time I originally enquired about it. I promptly placed my order and 10 days later, I received the fabric which is absolutely stunning and I really like the fact that a donation went straight to a great charity.

I have no affiliations with them but given my experience, if anyone is looking for some of the finest fabric available with outstanding customer service to boot, I highly recommend you contact Neil or anyone else at Lochcarron of Scotland. More to come…
Old 06-29-2015, 10:00 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

great pics as ever ... i think that is the right route re inserts and those seats are stellar!
How much lighter are they than the stock seats? I recon about 15kg!

You've been busy too .. that thread counts broke 1000 and didnt look back
Old 06-29-2015, 11:13 AM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I'd love to have one of those seats as my office chair!
Old 06-29-2015, 12:08 PM
Streetdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's a set go for?
Old 06-29-2015, 12:18 PM
Nylasurf
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

A little over a year ago, I purchased a set of 997 GT2 carbon buckets. These are incredibly good looking, insanely comfortable, but crazy expensive. They were sitting in my house while I was pondering what to do with them but with their value going up, I started feeling guilty about having such expensive seats so I sold them to a local RLer earlier this year. While my bank account got a little fatter, I instantly knew I had made a mistake so I told Gregg to drop me a note if he ever considered selling the seats. Two months later, Gregg emailed me that he wanted to free some cash for a Cup car he had his eye on, and just like that I had my seats back. Obligatory pictures.

The seats are Perlon and the material has a great feel, however black does not really match my interior and since the cobalt interior has multiple shades of blue, I figured I'll have to get a little creative with the inserts.

After much thinking I decided on two options, one was to do RS style inserts and the other was to go retro style. Having a cab and not really wanting leather on the seating surfaces, I decided to go with the latter. I’ve always been a fan of tartan (wore my share as a youth) and I was really excited about doing something different but then, with so many great choices it started to get downright confusing. I finally settled on 3 shades and the great folks at Lochcarron of Scotland sent me the samples below.

My wife voted for the more subdued Patriot Modern, but my daughter and I preferred to go all out and selected the Help for Heroes. Life got in the way, a year passed and when I finally emailed Neil from Lochcarron, he informed me that they had to remove the Help for Heroes fabric by the meter as technically this tartan is only available in official finished products. Huge disappointment but this is where their customer service really shines. Neil checked with his manager and they agreed to sell me the fabric since it was available at the time I originally enquired about it. I promptly placed my order and 10 days later, I received the fabric which is absolutely stunning and I really like the fact that a donation went straight to a great charity.

I have no affiliations with them but given my experience, if anyone is looking for some of the finest fabric available with outstanding customer service to boot, I highly recommend you contact Neil or anyone else at Lochcarron of Scotland. More to come…
Those seats look the business and I love the Tartan fabric - awesome that they were able to honor your order. Definately want to see how those seats turn out in what is looking to be an amazing car.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:12 PM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi Laurent,

Those seats look fab! If your re-trimming them make sure you get that tartan central ha!

Cheers,
Paul
Old 06-29-2015, 11:54 PM
LPMM
Drifting

great pics as ever ... i think that is the right route re inserts and those seats are stellar!
How much lighter are they than the stock seats? I recon about 15kg!
Thanks Matt. I am not sure how much the stock seats weigh, but the GT2 buckets come in at 35lbs with rails and mounts. They're the folding buckets so they are a bit on the heavy side with the side airbag and the fact that the shell is fiberglass that is then covered with carbon.

Originally Posted by Nylasurf
Those seats look the business and I love the Tartan fabric - awesome that they were able to honor your order. Definately want to see how those seats turn out in what is looking to be an amazing car.
Thanks and Lochcarron of Scotland has been stellar to deal with, definitely a class outfit. I plan to also do additional bits in tartan and I am still on the fence about 2-3 different possibilities. I am waiting for additional samples for the non tartan parts and then Ill post my ideas and the eventual progress once I get with the trimmer.

Originally Posted by Paul284pt
Those seats look fab! If your re-trimming them make sure you get that tartan central ha!
Thanks Paul, yep 45 degrees.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:16 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

i think maybe just do the 3 upright cusions ie the whole back inside piece

I did some red inserts on my 6RS .. have a look at the album .. didnt look great in pics but did in person somehow .. anyways a little less is usually more .. your interior is stellar with the right combo of dark CF and bright metal
Old 07-07-2015, 03:38 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Sidebar... I've never been happy with the spaceship look of the newer stereos and while searching for old-er school options, I stumbled upon the Clarion FZ102E. I could not locate this unit in the US, however I found it at a major retailer in France for dirt cheap during a flash sale (49,90 € shipped) and since Darty's site won't allow you to put a US address, I made a quick call to my dad to rectify the situation. I like the matte finish and amber illumination to match the interior, along with the USB and AUX IN to connect my phone for music playback and it will be 10x nicer looking than the ugly Kenwood Excelon currently in place. I'll post pics of the actual unit once my dad receives it and ships it to me.
Attached Images   

Last edited by LPMM; 07-07-2015 at 03:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Plus Sized - Rolling with the Phatness