Sponsored by:

Yet another DIY rear bumper removal thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 04:52 PM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Gelignite
Are the shock absorbing supports just a USA or later year addition? Mine is a 1990 UK car and i have got this all apart at the moment (big bolt method) and no sign of any shock absorbing. Just a solid bracket fitting into the chassis leg. My near side is a mess but the offside is completely uncorroded due to the dirt being full of oil that side.
Yes, it is a USA and I think Canada as well, thing.
The RoW cars have a solid steel tube which are pre-dented to "guide" an unfortunate collapse in case of an accident.

In US cars the bumpers need to go back to original position incase of a very low speed impact. For RoW that's not the case... So we don't need the shock.

As I was thinking of taking my car with me to the USA, I researched quite a bit and the bumpers are a pretty easy mod to bring to US spec.
Old 11-10-2016, 08:02 PM
Meatball964
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Can't seem to make this budge. Started w/10mm hex bit (broke). Then torx bit (rounded the hex). Then a bolt extractor (waste of $). Soaked it w/PB blaster & hitting it w/a chisel as you can see. Nothing. I haven't tried any heat yet. All I have is a small Benzomatic propane torch kit...not sure if that will be enough. Oh and I already tried to remove the 2 bolts above it...bolt heads broke of course. Suggestions ?
Old 11-10-2016, 09:27 PM
Meatball964
Rennlist Member

[I]Here's an interested twist...the support structure bent to the right from all the hammering with the chisel. Bolt still hasn't moved. Looks like this bumpers not coming off...I'm screwed. Does this support piece need to be re-welded ?
Old 11-11-2016, 09:04 AM
Meatball964
Rennlist Member

Decided not to take the bumper off after all...screw it. I was going to replace the leaking cam chain cover gaskets without dropping the engine, but there are other leaks I can chase.
Oil sender looks to be the biggest culprit...
Old 11-11-2016, 12:27 PM
ZG862
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

If you mean oil level sender on the oil tank, then you may want to contemplate taking a good look at the tank - maybe even removing it. The outboard side touches the rear wing, trapping (potentially salty) water against it. Mine was developing a series of little pin holes that let oil weep slowly on to the thermostat. Once out, its an annoyingly fiddly if not complex repair. I stripped all the paint off myself before taking it to a metal fabricating shop to take a look at. They pointed me to a blasters to ensure that all the traces of rust were gone before they added a number of little spot welds to seal it all up. I then properly cleaned the inside of the tank before using POR15 inhibitor & tank sealant on the inside. Were I to do this again (never!!), I'd first clean the inside thoroughly so the blaster could do his job free of any traces of oil inside the tank, then weld, then get the outside re-coated, then clean again to ensure the inside was spotless, then rust treat and seal. Much, much, much cheaper than a new tank.

Taking the tank out also makes you take a good long look at all the jubilee clips and decide that you will replace them with marine grade stainless, and clean up your thermostat so you can see anything else developing.

Porsche recommend new sender gasket and of course new washers on the drain points - all of which are pretty cheap.

What fun!

Z
Old 11-11-2016, 02:12 PM
Meatball964
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the response Z, like peeling an onion at this point.
A very rusty onion....
Old 11-11-2016, 06:25 PM
ZG862
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Nah - it's all good. There's a wonderful sense of well-being and self-achievement to be had by pulling your oil system to bits and assembling new-looking parts. Hope its as good when everything comes back together...

Quick Reply: Yet another DIY rear bumper removal thread