Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drop engine, reseal, still have oil leaks! (Cam housing to case / camshaft o-rings)

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 11:34 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

When it was time for the cam timing I put the wheels back on and rolled the car up on a trailer an brought it to a OPC that I trust with a really good 964 mechanic. He did the timing and an "eye over" that everything was correctly done, then I brought the car back home and finished the work. I had the possibility to join him in the workshop while he did this so I could see everything and learn and then bring the car home again in the afternoon. Yes, it was a little work to do this but it is a really good feeling knowing that you have got it right and he has all the correct tools. I borrowed the cam-lock tool from them.
It could maybe be an easier option for you aswell.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:58 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by HalV
Can you explain why you can't just do the procedure that you wrote above (in blue) to restore your timing to it's original state? It's not clear to me why this would not work?

Thanks!
Halv, this is probably exactly what I am going to do and it should work to restore the original timing. I just have to remove the chain from the sprocket and then turn the crank to line it back up to the TDC mark, then re-install the sprocket to its original marks.

I still have to do the right side of the car but want to get the left side right before I move on. I may also do a timing check with the actual chain tensioners installed on the car.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:52 PM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the reply. This is what I've done on other cars with no change to timing, so I was wondering if there was something special about Porsche's in this regard.

That's a good plan to get the one side correct before moving on to the other side.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:33 PM
ja78911sc
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ricardo, any progress?
Old 08-15-2013, 12:30 PM
Alex Sol
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Incredible write up and pictures are so clear.

I am currently resealing my engine in my garage at home and will be sure to do this 'while i'm in there'....

cheers!
Old 10-07-2014, 01:14 AM
C4inLA
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ricardo,
Just found this informative thread, great pics and captions... Sent you email regarding a tensioner question. Back of my car is apart doing much of what you did on reseal.
Old 10-07-2014, 01:23 AM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Progress is my car is running fine now after I called a local mobile 911 mechanic, Tom Amon, to come to my house and school me on how to do a proper cam timing. He made it look so simple. I was just needed to use better technique.

C4inLA, I don't know the answer to your question. I guess look at the mating parts. Does it make sense there is no hole in there? Is there a hole on the the mating part on the other side of the gasket?

Ricardo
Old 10-16-2014, 11:02 AM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,644 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Does setting the tensioners have enough affect on the timing to worry about ?
Old 10-16-2014, 04:38 PM
jstyer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Care to share the techniques he told you about???

Originally Posted by RicardoD
Progress is my car is running fine now after I called a local mobile 911 mechanic, Tom Amon, to come to my house and school me on how to do a proper cam timing. He made it look so simple. I was just needed to use better technique.

C4inLA, I don't know the answer to your question. I guess look at the mating parts. Does it make sense there is no hole in there? Is there a hole on the the mating part on the other side of the gasket?

Ricardo
Old 10-17-2014, 11:05 AM
foraff
5th Gear

Ditto on the photos, incredibly clear. Are you a professional illustrator?

Steve
Old 10-18-2014, 10:43 PM
Derek911
Racer

Incredibly clear photos and detailed write up. I am reading through a Haynes Repair Manual right now. The pictures in the manual are so poor they could have saved the trouble and not included them. I have the Porsche Workshop Manuals in PDF on my computer, you can zoom in and resolution is better. Online instructions and photos are invaluable tools and everyone who takes the extra time, beyond the headache of fixing a problem with their car, should be applauded.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:25 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. Crappy technical photography drives me insane. I run into it all the time with the suppliers I work with for my job when we are trying to resolve technical issues half way around the world. I have been known to blast people for wasting my team's time with blurry or not clear or low resolution photography. So of course in my personal life as well as my professional life I have to make sure I am setting a good example.

Care to share the techniques he told you about???
First of all Tom did not use the auxiliary chain tensioner tool 9401. I am not saying don't use it. The main thing was having a good Z block and dial indicator setup and extension rod to hit valve spring seat on the outer flat edge (illustration below). I may have to tweak my setup a bit. He had is dial indicator face up an out of the motor, I have mine facing down. It was the little things and his experience that dialed me right in.

On my C4 I will be doing this with the engine out and on an engine stand which will make everything super easy.
Attached Images  

Last edited by RicardoD; 10-18-2014 at 11:41 PM.
Old 02-25-2020, 03:52 PM
aldo964
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome, very interesting and informative instructions.
I have a leak on the top of the left tensioner where the metal gasket is.... If I clean it I can see the oil pooling there within seconds!
I had contemplated going into it, but after seeing what's involved I think I'll leave it until I next have the engine out for the clutch or something.
Thank you so much for saving me many hours under the car!
Old 03-22-2020, 04:25 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 501 Likes on 344 Posts

Does anyone know if any Locktite is used on the 3 bolts for the cam thrust plate? I don't see anything mentioned in the shop manual. Looks its torqued at 11 ft./lbs.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:01 PM
joerg65
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by 95_993
Does anyone know if any Locktite is used on the 3 bolts for the cam thrust plate? I don't see anything mentioned in the shop manual. Looks its torqued at 11 ft./lbs.
I used Curil T.

Quick Reply: Drop engine, reseal, still have oil leaks! (Cam housing to case / camshaft o-rings)