Sponsored by:

Question re: seals for tail lights and center reflector

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 12:18 AM
gray635
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Question re: seals for tail lights and center reflector

I have recently purchased new tail lights and a center reflector for my 1990 C2. The tail lights came with rubber seals on the end with the screw and the center reflector came with rubber seals on each end that cover the gap between the end of the center reflector and the edge of the tail lights, but that is it for seals.

The Pelican website indicates that the new tail lights do not need the rubber seal around the entire perimeter of the lights - only the seal on the end, which my lights have. However, there's a big gap where these fixtures mount to the body, around the tail lights and also along the bottom of the center reflector. My old tails have the rubber seal around the entire perimeter, but they are glued to the old lights and cannot be reused.

If anyone on the board has recently replaced their tail lights and center reflector with new parts, I would sure appreciate some insight on which seals I actually need to mount these new lights and the reflector in the proper way. I've looked at the PET diagrams but could use some confirmation. Thanks for any assistance!

UPDATE: I've added some close-up photos below. Thanks for any help.

Last edited by gray635; 06-15-2013 at 12:21 AM.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:47 AM
f3nr15
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 964s changed from the surround-type seals to the end-type seals in 1991, IIRC.

I replaced the reflectors on my '93 last year - I had ordered the rubber surround seals for the tail lights, and the lower seal for the centre reflector because I preferred the look, but could not for the life of me get them to fit - there was simply not enough space. So I reverted to using the end-seals-only.

The gaps don't look so bad -

Do yours look worse than this?

I still have the surround-type seals for the tail lights, and possibly the lower seal for the centre reflector - you could have them for the price of postage (from Australia). They're new.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:15 AM
gray635
Rennlist Member

That's exactly how my newly-installed lights and center reflector look! Thanks for the information and photos. I can only assume that, with the updated lights that eliminate the surround seals, this is the "correct new look". I'll try to take some pictures of my car with the new lights mounted tomorrow and supplement this post.

Lovely car, by the way.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:37 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 223 Likes on 183 Posts

Yep, no seals on the new "vented" lights, they are supposed to not fill up with condensate that way.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:32 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Pictures would be great if you can. Close-up as well as the entire rear. Thanks!
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 06-15-2013, 12:17 AM
gray635
Rennlist Member

Guys:

I really appreciate the help with this issue. Here are some close-ups of my newly-installed rear tail lights and center reflector. I am very disappointed in the gaps and the fact that the rather unfinished edges of the tail lights are exposed. Hardly the "Teutonic precision" that I'm used to with these cars!

As a long-time Pelican customer (for both Porsche and BMW parts), I'm particularly appreciative of PP's input! Many thanks for any help.
Attached Images         
Old 06-15-2013, 05:05 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 223 Likes on 183 Posts

Looks as Porsche intended it to. TADT Im afraid.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:04 AM
cjoenck
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Has this car ever been in a crash? Looks like the gaps are not symmetrical left and right. I just replaced mine and they fit better than what it looks like in your photos.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:34 PM
gray635
Rennlist Member

^^^ Not that I know of. The CarFax is clean. But I acknowledge that those don't always tell the entire story of a car. None of the old records indicate accident damage.

Did you replace any seals when you swapped your tail lights and center reflector or just bolt the new fixtures in? I could live with the tail lights as is but the gap under the center reflector is a bit much.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:37 PM
cjoenck
Rennlist Member

It's possible your bumper is a little low. Here are some pictures of what mine looks like. It is a 1991 C2 - build in August '90 - and has the updated lights.
Attached Images  
Old 06-16-2013, 06:46 PM
cjoenck
Rennlist Member

I know I have accident damage on the passenger side - second photo. Carfax was clean, PO lied about it and I found out the hard way afterwards. It's a long story. I am not saying this has to be the same thing - just a thought. I think, looking at you pictures again that maybe the bumper was not properly reinstalled.
Attached Images   
Old 06-16-2013, 10:13 PM
gray635
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the photos. It does look like my bumper's hanging a bit low! If I could tighten up that gap, I'd be much happier with the view from the *** end of my car! But still not real pleased with the fact that you can see the raw edge of the red plastic from the top view of the tails.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:45 AM
ras62
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I've had the rear off for paint and replacement fixings etc. This shows my 1990 rear lights with rubber gaskets installed. Nice and neat imo.
We also had problems aligning the PU, everything was sitting too high which turned out to be damage / corrosion to the rear support bar and mountings. Once these were replaced the alignment of lights and PU was easy
Attached Images    
Old 10-04-2013, 09:10 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rob, are they the new style of lights? When I bought my first new style light, it wouldn't fit with the full gasket so went with the two, later style, end gaskets. The light just seemed slightly bigger and wouldn't fix in place with a full gasket added to it. I couldn't get the fixing screw to catch the clip.

Tomorrow, I'm picking up a new centre reflector. It will be interesting to see what seals that comes with. My existing one has never had a seal on the bottom and the one on the top is falling apart.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:07 PM
ras62
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Steve, I dont see new style lights on the PET? It shows the same lights and center reflector for all cars, the only difference is that from 91 onwards all the rubber gaskets were deleted apart from the one above the center reflector which stays.
While my car has always had the corner rubbers it did not have the rubber below the center reflector. Now its installed (adhesive to the light unit) I must say it looks much neater than without.
I think all the rubbers have to be ordered as separate items.

Quick Reply: Question re: seals for tail lights and center reflector