Sponsored by:

Misfire

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 04:16 PM
Arrivare
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Misfire

Having just replaced the power steering pump camshaft oil seal and O-ring I took the car out for a test drive. After about half a mile the car started to intermittently hesitate and this developed into the engine cutting out momentarily every 10 seconds or so. Back home I checked that I had not replaced anything incorrectly and that nothing else was disturbed and all is ok. The car starts immediately on turning the key and will idle for a while before starting to cut out. If I try to increase the revs the cut outs become more severe until the engine stops completely. Any ideas or any suggestions on what I can check?
Old 06-07-2013, 06:21 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

The power steering pump doesn't have anything critical around it. I suspect the misfire is a coincidence. Have you checked your distributor belt? How fresh are your cap & rotors? Have your ignition wires and coils ever been changed?
Old 06-07-2013, 07:17 PM
Arrivare
Advanced

Rob,

The distributor belt is ok and the caps, ignition wires and rotors were changed about 10k miles ago. The coils are original. Do you know of a way to test them? Also, could it be the distributor Hall effect sender? While I was checking for loose connections I inadvertently pulled it's plug off and the engine carried on running just the same.

Allen
Old 06-09-2013, 12:22 PM
Arrivare
Advanced

Today I checked all the engine connections and also checked that the wiring mod to the air flow meter had been carried out as it has the black paint identification. All checked out ok as did the DME relay. I restarted the engine and everything works as it should so I don't know what the fault was. I have just driven 30 miles and the engine runs perfectly. Fingers crossed!

Quick Reply: Misfire