Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H4 Headlight Upgrade Kit From Pelican...

Old 05-14-2013, 11:08 AM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I can tell you from my experience with H4's, without the relays and heavier gauge wires, you are not gaining that much. I was disappointed when I first took the car at night, the H4's were OK, but not much better than the H5's. Then I upgraded to relays and 12 awg wires from battery to relays and 14 awg wires from relays to H4's, and the difference is amazing. I have standard 55/60 bulbs and the low beam is great, the high beam is the best I have ever seen on any car, you turn those on, and I can see clearly into the next province.
Moral of the story "if you want light, put in relays"

Old 05-14-2013, 01:52 PM
August West
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The relays sound like a good idea...I've looked at Daniel Stern's site and it looks like I would need the RIK-2 kit.

Would this be one relay for both lights or would there be a relay in each bucket?
Old 05-14-2013, 04:03 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

You will need 2 relays, 1 for the high beam and 1 for the low beam. Daniel Stern is very hard to get hold of, I tried several times, but no go.
If you want, I can find my invoices and get you the parts numbers you need. I bought the 16 gauge triplex wire, the ceramic H4 plugs and relays from them, very good service and quality parts.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:10 PM
August West
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by crg53
You will need 2 relays, 1 for the high beam and 1 for the low beam. Daniel Stern is very hard to get hold of, I tried several times, but no go.
If you want, I can find my invoices and get you the parts numbers you need. I bought the 14 gauge triwire, the ceramic H4 plugs and relays from them, very good service and quality parts.

Yeah, crg53, if it's not too much of a hassle, I'd make good use of your part numbers and experience. Thanks for your friendly advice!
Old 05-14-2013, 04:58 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

This is a LINK to the place where I bought my relays. No affiliation....................

You will need:
2 of : HL 87118 SPST Dual 87 relays
2 of : HL 87123 relay bases
12 of : HL 87272 6.3 mm receptacles
You can also buy the wire you need, I got 5 ft of triplex jacketed 16/3 to run from relays to headlights. I mounted the relays right at the front in the area where the jack sits.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:54 PM
August West
Rennlist Member

Thanks Steen, will check it out!
Old 10-04-2016, 11:37 PM
mark_u
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by August West
Okay, here's my update! I want to preface this with an apology for any harshness in my first post...I want to thank Pelican for getting the requisite H4 plugs to me in a speedy fashion.

I ended up snipping the wires to the old H5 plug, stripping the wires so that they can be inserted into the H4 plugs's handy-dandy spring loaded wire-insert holes...very easy. Then it's like what crg53 said above, just slip the new seals on, then slip the chrome ring onto the tab at the top of the housing and then screw into the bottom with the new chrome screw that comes with the H4 lamps.

The beam spread and output is so much better than before and, well, the chrome rings just look bitchin', if I do say so myself.

Here are some before and after shots!
Hi. Your post is helpful. I wonder if you think you could have kept the original rings on your headlights (as opposed to chrome)? Let me know.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 10-05-2016, 03:55 PM
onceover
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

If you have H5's you're not able to use the rings from them. You can run H4's without the 'beauty' rings if you dont mind seeing the hardware exposed, this will come in a black or chrome finish. Otherwise you can get the beauty rings in a primed finish and paint to match your body color.

eg:
Without beauty ring - chrome:

Without beauty ring - black:

With beauty ring painted to match:
Old 10-06-2016, 03:07 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

Just wanted to throw these in here as well. For those that are H4, may want to check out the dapper headlight upgrades HERE. Some good information in regards to fitment for those who are interested in this Rennlist thread HERE.
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 10-09-2016, 01:03 AM
apanossi
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

H4 with painted beauty ring.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:31 AM
ToniWonKanobi
Instructor

Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Just wanted to throw these in here as well. For those that are H4, may want to check out the dapper headlight upgrades HERE. Some good information in regards to fitment for those who are interested in this Rennlist thread HERE.
Why does your guys' article about the H5 --> H4 upgrade not have everything needed (like the conversion plug thing, and whatever mounting screws that are necessary?)
Old 06-06-2017, 12:11 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ToniWonKanobi
Why does your guys' article about the H5 --> H4 upgrade not have everything needed (like the conversion plug thing, and whatever mounting screws that are necessary?)
Hello Toni - if you have questions about things in an article, if you scroll to the bottom you will see a comment box. Leave a comment there and typically the individual who wrote it or one of our techs will come back and have some input for you. This also can help any other individuals that come across that particular article in the future.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:13 PM
ToniWonKanobi
Instructor

Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Hello Toni - if you have questions about things in an article, if you scroll to the bottom you will see a comment box. Leave a comment there and typically the individual who wrote it or one of our techs will come back and have some input for you. This also can help any other individuals that come across that particular article in the future.
Oh okay. I'll leave a comment then. Thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: H4 Headlight Upgrade Kit From Pelican...