Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   964 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum-59/)
-   -   Which center caps fit Cup 1 wheels tightly? (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/751343-which-center-caps-fit-cup-1-wheels-tightly.html)

GoKart 04-16-2013 12:31 AM

Which center caps fit Cup 1 wheels tightly?

I have a set of Cup 1 wheels, the non-OEM ones in 17x7.5" front / 17x9" rear fitment which were on my 964 when I bought it. They have Porsche crest center caps, but the caps don't snap tightly into place. They do snap into the wheels, but they are not held flush against the wheel. Instead, they are able to move "in and out", so that sometimes they stick out a little from the wheel, and sometimes they sit flush against it. The little clip tabs on the back are obviously too long or something...?

Can anyone point me towards a center cap which will fit properly? I would prefer the ones with the black recessed Porsche crest, not the colored/painted Porsche crest. Or perhaps, something different....?

Thanks!!

Opo 04-16-2013 01:20 AM

I think that happens with the non OEM wheels, the caps don't fit right :(
Here's a set of cup II's 18" wheels , they are aftermarket wheels and look at the center cap, it doesn't fit right, someone told to sand the center cap on the inside edge and it might fit better, haven't tried it yet? :cheers:

MusicMadMike 04-16-2013 05:45 AM

My Cup 1s are replicas as well. I wrapped a bit of duck tape around three of the prongs and this has help them a tighter fit and held them in place. You don't need much just a couple of loops around each.
Cheap and easy... two of my favorite words :)

ThomasC2 04-16-2013 07:49 AM

It also depends on the cups. I had a set on my Cup replicas that fitted so tightly so one of them broke when I removed them before a re-paint of the rims.

Thomas

Rocket Rob 04-16-2013 08:07 AM

I have factory center caps with gold crests. I don't have the link here at the office but they look similar to the ones on this page, lower left corner. They are all metal and look and fit perfectly in my Cup 1s. If memory serves, they had a 928 part number.

http://www.hubcaps.org/911.html

No affiliations.

HalV 04-16-2013 10:28 AM

I have the ones with the monochrome crest and they fit my OEM cups fine.

creaturecat 04-16-2013 10:30 AM

I can only find cheap looking plastic crap - to fit my reproduction cup 1's.

GoKart 04-16-2013 11:20 AM

Are the OEM center caps different to the replica center caps that are out there, as far as diameter, mounting clips, etc? Anyone compared them at all?

Opo 04-16-2013 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by GoKart (Post 10389640)
Are the OEM center caps different to the replica center caps that are out there, as far as diameter, mounting clips, etc? Anyone compared them at all?

In my experience ,
It's not the center cap that's different from the OEM and after market, fotting wise, it's the wheel that different , that's why the center caps are either loose or they will not go all the way in...

Vandit 04-16-2013 11:33 AM

I'd love to get my hands on a set of these 7.5/9" Cup I reps. Do they have a good offset too?

boxsey911 04-16-2013 12:14 PM

I found that on the rep wheels that the metal centre caps fitted (I guess these are OE) but any plastic ones (including OE plastic ones from later wheels) just rattled around.

P.s. Yes Vandit the offsets on the reps (52 and 47 IIRC) work nicely.

kreeshp 03-20-2014 12:41 AM

I'm reviving this 2013 thread because my question is the original title: which center caps fit Cup 1 wheels? -- in this case, OEM Cup 1 wheels.

Please confirm part numbers.

Do the later caps meant for 997 fitment also work on OEM Cup 1 wheels?

kreeshp 03-26-2014 01:49 AM

Bump. Which center caps (specifically the monochromatic/black logo on silver field) fit the OEM Cup 1's?

Will these fit - 993.361.303.05?

hamah 03-26-2014 04:49 AM

993.361.303.00 is listed in PET as fitting option code M402 in MY 92 and forward (M402 is Cup 1 wheels in 16"). The last 2 digits being 05 from your p/n is interesting in that usually this just means a part has been superseded with an updated version. So in theory your p/n should be fine but I don't know why PET still shows an older version.

Anyway, as has been pointed out original Porsche caps fit better than aftermarket and AFAIK almost all wheels from Porsche that fit the 964 also fit a bunch of other models (notably the 993 and 986) and all accept the same size hub cap. I certainly hope so at any rate as I just bought a set of 4 off eBay to go on my Cup 1 17" to replace the coloured crested caps I currently have (I stupidly gave my plain black logo ones to the guy that bought my Sport Classics that had come off a Boxter). IMO I think the plain black logo on silver looks better than the coloured logo.

92C2Targa#119 03-26-2014 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by hamah (Post 11244088)
993.361.303.00 is listed in PET as fitting option code M402 in MY 92 and forward (M402 is Cup 1 wheels in 16"). The last 2 digits being 05 from your p/n is interesting in that usually this just means a part has been superseded with an updated version. So in theory your p/n should be fine but I don't know why PET still shows an older version.

Anyway, as has been pointed out original Porsche caps fit better than aftermarket and AFAIK almost all wheels from Porsche that fit the 964 also fit a bunch of other models (notably the 993 and 986) and all accept the same size hub cap. I certainly hope so at any rate as I just bought a set of 4 off eBay to go on my Cup 1 17" to replace the coloured crested caps I currently have (I stupidly gave my plain black logo ones to the guy that bought my Sport Classics that had come off a Boxter). IMO I think the plain black logo on silver looks better than the coloured logo.

I have a couple sets of OEM colored caps and a black OEM set and all fit perfect on my 16" Cup 1's and they also did fit my old my 17" Speedline wheels . Had a couple of plastic sets and they both did not fit the 16 Cup 1's or 17" properly. I think you have to buy the Porsche plastic wheels to use the plastic caps. LOL