964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black Betty - Back in Black

Old 06-30-2014, 05:46 AM
jevvy964
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

new rims look great Frank, I thought I was bad with wheels but you have it bad x 2

Got a few Q's about this pic:

1. Those shims look too small for the hub face, what does the back of the wheel look like? If the mating surface on the back of the wheel is the same size as the hub face then you will have some overhang and gap around the very outside of the wheel mount using those shims which you really shouldn't have for various reasons.

2. Whats the dark ring round the middle of the disc?
Old 06-30-2014, 11:40 AM
Todeshandler
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

Why not change out the rim parts so you don't need to run the spacers (shims)? We could easily swap out the rear rim parts for outers 1" wider and inners 1" narrower to ditch the 25mm resulting in less rotational mass and better looks. The front is a little trickier unless you have room to come out an additional 5mm ontop of the 7mm shim or have clearance between caliper and spoke to modify the backpad of the wheel.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:30 PM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the kind words gents. Helps me slightly justify just how daft I've been with wheels. Very happy with them and they ran lovely on the weekend. Had a great blast with Dave and Co at an L9O meet and the car felt like it was lightly floating round bends.

Here's a great pic by Humy who was with us this Sunday. Thanks mate,

Originally Posted by ray stobbs
love the black and gold combo nice find
Originally Posted by deutschland-dobson
She looks just perfect on those GT2s
Originally Posted by StanUK951
Damn Frank, I thought BB was maxed out and you were crazy to bother looking at different wheels as those black Cargraphics looked so moody (in a good way!) and just right, but then you see these and they look stellar. Sweet mate, really sweet. Now you just need that nice (subtle please) Southbound retrim and the car will just be so epic...
Cheers mate,

I wasn't really looking for a set as to even hope a set would come up in the right sizes would be day dreaming, was just watching the market and suddenly they popped up. So you keeping the RHs black or going silver????

Originally Posted by lateforlunch
nice wheels
Cheers,

Originally Posted by ghhally
Just perfect Frank
Originally Posted by SuperUser
love it!
Originally Posted by pcarplayer
super sweet! time to update your great wheels fs thread
Indeed!

Originally Posted by jevvy964
new rims look great Frank, I thought I was bad with wheels but you have it bad x 2

1. Those shims look too small for the hub face, what does the back of the wheel look like? If the mating surface on the back of the wheel is the same size as the hub face then you will have some overhang and gap around the very outside of the wheel mount using those shims which you really shouldn't have for various reasons.

2. Whats the dark ring round the middle of the disc?
That's a very fair point, I'll have a chat with Mathew when I get a chance. The line is probably a small stone that got scraped along the disc. I pointed it out to GTOne for a second opinion and they agreed that it's fine and hasn't compromised the disc integrity. It's really a shallow surface scratch.

Originally Posted by Todeshandler
Why not change out the rim parts so you don't need to run the spacers (shims)? We could easily swap out the rear rim parts for outers 1" wider and inners 1" narrower to ditch the 25mm resulting in less rotational mass and better looks. The front is a little trickier unless you have room to come out an additional 5mm ontop of the 7mm shim or have clearance between caliper and spoke to modify the backpad of the wheel.
Indeed I came to the same conclusion for rears with my ETs, 3inch outer 7inch inner with Frakas' kind confirmation. I wasn't even planning on buying yet another set of wheels since I'm saving for interior work so it's a mod that'll go to the back of the queue. As for the fronts, it just wouldn't work with my set up and I'd be reluctant to take material off the back pad. End of the day even Porsche run their cars with spacers….
Attached Images  

Last edited by BLACK-BETTY; 06-30-2014 at 12:58 PM.
Old 06-30-2014, 02:15 PM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

She looks just perfect on those GT2s

Rare, and so right on the 964.

Chris
Hi mate,

Would like some recommendations from the Guru with the seriously shiny 964 paint work!

I'm looking for a new wax/ sealant. At the moment I'm just using a quick spray detailer but would like something thicker and more resilient to washes etc. Also with my paint film it can't be anything which is remotely abrasive. What can you recommend? Also looking for a wheel wax/ sealant that'll be even more hard wearing - water and brake dust resistant. Something the rain just can't get through would be great.

I know we chatted about this in Rob's thread but would love your feedback here so I can have it all in one place. Per your post I'll check out DoDo juice's website.

And just in case some may have missed this Gent's seriously shiny example check this out
Attached Images  

Last edited by BLACK-BETTY; 06-30-2014 at 02:44 PM.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:28 PM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Frank,

I have been using Poor Boys Black Hole as a good filler and Megs 26 or Collinite 845 with good luck. I have been looking into some of the new coatings like Duragloss Enviroshield Ceramic Coating System or Black Label Synergy.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:20 PM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi Frank,

Looking really good mate

End of the day even Porsche run their cars with spacers….
Exactly, I've just ordered a set of 5mm for my fronts from Porsche themselves.

I can recommend GTechniq as applied recently to mine, you won't need to wax your car much and it's guaranteed to last. Check out the reflection of the Exo product on my car's roof. I'm not sure who the dealer is in your area but it won't take you long to find out. Not cheap but you can always sell a set of wheels

Name:  DSC_0827_zps3f40f22d.jpeg
Views: 167
Size:  51.8 KB

Name:  DSC_0831_zpsf279c79b.jpeg
Views: 154
Size:  42.5 KB

Name:  DSC_0800_zps13cd74df.jpeg
Views: 165
Size:  48.1 KB

Name:  DSC_0794_zps39ecf72b.jpeg
Views: 162
Size:  69.2 KB

Cheers,
Paul
Old 06-30-2014, 07:14 PM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Originally Posted by SuperUser
Hey Frank, I have been using Poor Boys Black Hole as a good filler and Megs 26 or Collinite 845 with good luck. I have been looking into some of the new coatings like Duragloss Enviroshield Ceramic Coating System or Black Label Synergy.
Yeah I've heard good stuff about PoorBoys I'll check into that. Thanks mate.

Originally Posted by Paul284pt
Hi Frank, Looking really good mate Exactly, I've just ordered a set of 5mm for my fronts from Porsche themselves. I can recommend GTechniq as applied recently to mine, you won't need to wax your car much and it's guaranteed to last. Check out the reflection of the Exo product on my car's roof. I'm not sure who the dealer is in your area but it won't take you long to find out. Not cheap but you can always sell a set of wheels Cheers, Paul
Great and cars looking great. I'll have a look.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:39 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blackfire Wet Diamond works particularly well as a sealant for black cars. Great finish and lasts 4-6 months. If you're going to a show or have the time, wait 24 hours after applying the sealant and top with a 'nuba wax. I quite like PoorBoys Nattys Blue for dark cars. Of course the results of the LSP is directly related to the quality of the prep
Old 07-01-2014, 02:54 AM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts
Default back to gold

holy mother of geeeezus frank, the new wheels are beyond stunning. the cargraphics are beautiful, but as i said previously, i'm not partial to wheels that are the same color of the car...i love contrast, and am glad you went back to the gold. love, love, love your car. impeccably "molested."

Originally Posted by BLACK-BETTY
Thanks for the kind words gents. Helps me slightly justify just how daft I've been with wheels. Very happy with them and they ran lovely on the weekend. Had a great blast with Dave and Co at an L9O meet and the car felt like it was lightly floating round bends.

Here's a great pic by Humy who was with us this Sunday. Thanks mate,

Cheers mate,

I wasn't really looking for a set as to even hope a set would come up in the right sizes would be day dreaming, was just watching the market and suddenly they popped up. So you keeping the RHs black or going silver????

Cheers,

Indeed!

That's a very fair point, I'll have a chat with Mathew when I get a chance. The line is probably a small stone that got scraped along the disc. I pointed it out to GTOne for a second opinion and they agreed that it's fine and hasn't compromised the disc integrity. It's really a shallow surface scratch.

Indeed I came to the same conclusion for rears with my ETs, 3inch outer 7inch inner with Frakas' kind confirmation. I wasn't even planning on buying yet another set of wheels since I'm saving for interior work so it's a mod that'll go to the back of the queue. As for the fronts, it just wouldn't work with my set up and I'd be reluctant to take material off the back pad. End of the day even Porsche run their cars with spacers….
Old 07-01-2014, 03:48 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

>GTechniq

I'm not certain but I don't think you'll be able to use this on a car covered in film since its designed to go directly onto the paintwork.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:03 AM
Penguinracer
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Frank - at the risk of perpetrating a thread hijack, I'd be interested to hear your impressions of the 355.

Tim
Old 07-01-2014, 07:22 AM
jack.pe
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Penguinracer
Frank - at the risk of perpetrating a thread hijack, I'd be interested to hear your impressions of the 355.

Tim
I think Frank was under the impression he was not really addicted to 964's but the penny dropped pretty early on that it was not after all an air cooled Porsche.. he then decided he did not like it. Or certainly not enough to keep hold of it given a generous offer

I took a passenger ride at SPA and can confirm that the engine is epic.. it screams.. the interior quality is not great in places but overall I loved it.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:26 PM
Nski
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Frank, I highly recommend Gtechniq as Paul248 said! my friend uses these product on his detailing.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:36 PM
deutschland-dobson
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BLACK-BETTY
Hi mate,

Would like some recommendations from the Guru with the seriously shiny 964 paint work!

I'm looking for a new wax/ sealant. At the moment I'm just using a quick spray detailer but would like something thicker and more resilient to washes etc. Also with my paint film it can't be anything which is remotely abrasive. What can you recommend? Also looking for a wheel wax/ sealant that'll be even more hard wearing - water and brake dust resistant. Something the rain just can't get through would be great.

I know we chatted about this in Rob's thread but would love your feedback here so I can have it all in one place. Per your post I'll check out DoDo juice's website.

And just in case some may have missed this Gent's seriously shiny example check this out
Cheers bud, don't know if I can live to all that hype mind!

Wheel sealant is easy. FK1000p (or finish care big white as it's sometimes known). Two coats applied via pad and it'll last for months. Polish your wheels first to get a good shine. I use Dodo Lime Prime, but any good polish would do. Make sure you wipe your wheels of brake dust with a clean microfibres after every drive. Saves elbow grease later

I'd only use Black Hole if you have light scratches to fill. It's great at its job. This product is a glaze and would go on before wax.

For a good wax try Auto Finesse. My car above was done with their Illusion, but it's a show wax and only lasts a couple of months. I've got a sample of their Spirit wax, which I need to try. This lasts longer.

If you want a quick to use, good quality product then Google Dodo Supernatural Hybrid Wax.

HTH
Chris
Old 07-01-2014, 03:39 PM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
Blackfire Wet Diamond works particularly well as a sealant for black cars. Great finish and lasts 4-6 months. If you're going to a show or have the time, wait 24 hours after applying the sealant and top with a 'nuba wax. I quite like PoorBoys Nattys Blue for dark cars. Of course the results of the LSP is directly related to the quality of the prep
Thanks for the feedback.

Originally Posted by FLYT993
holy mother of geeeezus frank, the new wheels are beyond stunning. love, love, love your car. impeccably "molested."
Thank you for the so very kind words

Originally Posted by robt964
>GTechniq

I'm not certain but I don't think you'll be able to use this on a car covered in film since its designed to go directly onto the paintwork.
Mmm that's what I was wondering. Will call Topaz Detailing to see what they say...

Originally Posted by Penguinracer
Sure,

It was awesome. Build quality felt good, I believe it's said to be the first generation of well built Fezzas. That said, 964s are exceptionally built like tanks.

The 964 feels like a race car. Tight, tough, precisely, spine tingling communication. The 355 felt like a sports cars, less communicative. It had a wonderful delicacy the 964 just can't compete with.

The engine felt so strong. Whereas the 964's engine is harsh, brash, brutal and comes on cam the 355 was instant all of the time. It never felt high strung just beautifully delicate and linear. The engine really dominates a lot of the experience.

The 355 is a bigger car and as such you specially feel less connected to the cars extremities. It's an easy car to live with also, comfortable, quite until the valve opens, light steering and clutch. It's packed with technology that Porsche were 'way behind' on - adaptive electric suspension modes, integrated washer nozzles in the wipers, under car defusers etc, etc.

Overall the difference between the two is huge and probably because my 964 is set up to be such a brute/ track car.

It was an awesome experience because it is an awesome piece of machinery. One day I'd love to own another.

Originally Posted by jack.pe
I think Frank was under the impression he was not really addicted to 964's but the penny dropped pretty early on that it was not after all an air cooled Porsche.. he then decided he did not like it. Or certainly not enough to keep hold of it given a generous offer
Spot on. I'd also over stretched myself really - didn't feel comfortable having that much cash in cars.

Originally Posted by Nski
Frank, I highly recommend Gtechniq as Paul248 said! my friend uses these product on his detailing.
Cheers mate - PS. Finish your thread!

Wheel sealant is easy. FK1000p (or finish care big white as it's sometimes known). Two coats applied via pad and it'll last for months. Polish your wheels first to get a good shine. I use Dodo Lime Prime, but any good polish would do. Make sure you wipe your wheels of brake dust with a clean microfibres after every drive. Saves elbow grease later

I'd only use Black Hole if you have light scratches to fill. It's great at its job. This product is a glaze and would go on before wax.

For a good wax try Auto Finesse. My car above was done with their Illusion, but it's a show wax and only lasts a couple of months. I've got a sample of their Spirit wax, which I need to try. This lasts longer.

If you want a quick to use, good quality product then Google Dodo Supernatural Hybrid Wax.
Brilliant - thank you Chris

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Black Betty - Back in Black