Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Searching for 1st P-car. Rennlisters help me find a 964 Manual Coupe!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 12:21 PM
palmxp3
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Searching for 1st P-car. Rennlisters help me find a 964 Manual Coupe!

Hey All,

About this time last year, I was on a hunt to find my next car from a short list of vehicles. At that time, I was driving a modded BMW 335i coupe. I've since sold the BMW but during the last year, I purchased 2 motorcycles and have been enjoying the 2-wheeled lifestyle. Now it is time to find the car of my dreams.

I would rather find a well maintained/sorted example than look for a project car for my first Porsche. So far I have been searching on Rennlist, Autotrader, Cars.com, Ebay, and Craigslist. If there are other sites I should look into, suggestions are welcome. If you or someone you know is thinking about selling one, please PM or email me at: hungxpsi at yahoo dot com.

I do have some criteria for the car and am willing to wait to find the right one. I am not in a huge rush since I want to find a keeper for a long time to come.

- Body Style: Coupe only
- Transmission: Manual only
- Drivetrain: C2 or C4
- Body Color: Black, Midnight Blue, Dark Grey, Red. (These are the preferences but I may consider other colors depending on the actual car)
- Interior Color: Black or Tan (No Grey)

I'm looking forward to joining the family and can't wait to start the journey!
Old 03-24-2013, 12:52 PM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 119 Posts

Pelicanparts.com

Found mine on Craigslist, took about 6 months. Good luck!
Old 03-24-2013, 12:57 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

+1, it took me about 6 months to find the right car for me (GPW on black 5spd C2 coupe). Mine showed up on Cars.com.

Gotta treat this like a job, good cars being sold for realistic prices move incredibly fast. Search a craigslist multi-city search engine, autotrader, cars, excellence classifieds, national and regional PCA ads, pelicanparts and rennlist FS areas, etc. Search in the morning, mid-day and before you go to bed. Many times you gotta be the first in line to get the good ones.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:39 PM
BrownGill
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree about having to treat it like a job. After going through all the same avenues I would dream about searching due to my constant Internet searches. If I was away from a computer I would use the auto trader app on my iPhone. My suggestion is using autotempest.com to search all of the ones you are currently searching regularly. I also became a member of PCA and I searched their classified listings daily. Good luck on your search.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:54 AM
Grazie
Instructor

Yeah, but it's a fun job :-). I took about 18mo. on this process and enjoyed it. For me, signing up for daily emails (with my specific requirements) from: pelican, rennlist, cars.com, autotrader and also following CL (not sure if I found an email push like craiglook) worked well. Also, PCA webiste/magazine though last month there were exactly 0 964s for sale and there and in the past few months there have been hardly any coupes. I suspect a c4 will be easier to find if you're open to either. Good luck with it.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:57 AM
Grazie
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vandit
+1, it took me about 6 months to find the right car for me (GPW on black 5spd C2 coupe). Mine showed up on Cars.com.

Gotta treat this like a job, good cars being sold for realistic prices move incredibly fast. Search a craigslist multi-city search engine, autotrader, cars, excellence classifieds, national and regional PCA ads, pelicanparts and rennlist FS areas, etc. Search in the morning, mid-day and before you go to bed. Many times you gotta be the first in line to get the good ones.
+1 on them going fast - mine was listed at 7:30am. At 9am I phoned, discussed and had an accepted verbal offer and faxed/signed paperwork was completed before 12noon....all pending PPI of course.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:29 PM
Doc V.
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.holtmotorsports.com/inventory.php?vin=BLK93

Trending Topics

Old 03-25-2013, 03:25 PM
abarthguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 283 Likes on 173 Posts

So much depends on what kind of a 'deal' you want for your perfect car.
If cost is no object, there are lots of dealers with excellent cars to choose from.
Some here will say "don't pay more than xxxx for this model/ mileage". This makes the search harder as so many others ( dealers, flippers included ) are searching for the same thing and it's hard to beat them to the punch.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:28 PM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Buy
Porsche 911 (964) Enthusiast's Companion: Carrera 2, Carrera 4, and Turbo 1989-1994: Adrian Streather: 9780837602936: Amazon.com: Books Porsche 911 (964) Enthusiast's Companion: Carrera 2, Carrera 4, and Turbo 1989-1994: Adrian Streather: 9780837602936: Amazon.com: Books
on the 964 so you know what you're looking at when you go hunting.

Just know going in that the car you're looking at is 20+ years old. Even a pristine garage queen has consumable items that may need to be replaced. These cars are fairly maintenance intensive so be prepared to spend some money each year. How much depends on how well it was previously maintained and certain items that have been recently done.

Personally unless I planned to track the car, I'd stay with a C2 from a cost perspective.

Good luck!
Old 03-25-2013, 04:34 PM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

Now I know why they don't advertise their prices. $39,500!!!!!

The red 964 cab with 31k miles is $44,500!!!!!
Old 03-25-2013, 04:43 PM
mike8
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Holt has nice cars(Get a PPI, ask me how I know) if you don't mind overpaying for the same product that you can find on your own.....same advice as above but I would add stopping in and talking to your local P-car shops, they sometimes know of cars that one of their customer's may want to sell. All in all, enjoy the hunt and be patient and you will find YOUR car. Remember, your playing in the same field as the Tim Holt's of the world's, just be ready to strike when you find the one you like and always get a PPI...
Good luck....
Old 03-25-2013, 05:48 PM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

I completely agree that Holt has some very nice cars and they have to make money. If/when I sell my 964, I will certainly direct people to their website to compare cars and prices. That '93 blk/blk coupe has 60k miles and we don't know any of the history, but even if it was maintained by the book, there are still items on that car that have some age on them and will need replaced in the near future. Not sure how much negotiating they do either, but at $39.5k, someone could basically buy a higher mileage car and do a full restore for that money and it would be a nicer car with a brand new engine.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:45 PM
Doc V.
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Holtmotorsports regards 964 series cars as the last of the hand-built Porsches and emphasizes that they are the last of the high-fender cars. The fact that Holtmotorsports currently offers an inventory of late 80s and early 90s cars is no coincidence: those cars, the business maintains, are increasingly in demand--particularly if they have been maintained properly. Since Holtmotorsports sends many cars to Europe, the pricing often blends international and US-market averages.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:57 AM
palmxp3
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the replies everyone. I know I will have to patient in this search, but also act quickly when the right one comes along. I'm getting so anxious to finally own one of my childhood dream cars.

I've actually contacted Tim from Holt about this car since he's only about 40 minutes away from me. The black 93 looks very nice and it is a rare find, but it is more than I'm looking to spend at this time. I don't mind higher miles if it is priced right, has a great service history, or recent rebuild. I would love to find an enthusiast owned and cared for example, even with slight modifications as I know I will eventually do suspension and wheel upgrades.

I will keep this thread open if that is ok with the mods. Hopefully someone looking to sell will know that I am interested and contact me.

Quick Reply: Searching for 1st P-car. Rennlisters help me find a 964 Manual Coupe!