Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 09:13 AM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Current Wisdom on New Battery

All,

Well, I think my battery has finally given up. I've had the Optima yellowtop (size 35) for about 4 years now (or about that) and before I run out and pick up the same as a replacement, I thought I would see what this group suggests. Is the size 35 the correct one going forward if I replace with an Optima? I ask becuase the sites say different sizes and I want to pick it up on the way home tonight and don't have the dead battery with me.

Car gets driven 1-2 times a week and sees 4 or so track events a year. I usually keep it on a Porsche trickle charger, but not always.

Thanks,

-Skip

Last edited by swftiii; 03-13-2013 at 10:54 AM.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:31 AM
tm.cz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

The exact topic is on my list also as my battery did not survive the winter.

If you don't mind I slightly hijack your question in hopes that European members might answer the question with reference to Bosch, Varta or other brands sold in Europe
Old 03-13-2013, 10:18 AM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 2 things that kill a battery most are vibriation and dirt on top.

Unless I'm running a winch or a lot of accessories, I don't have a need for a deep cell battery. Most auto store batteries would serve you well and you'll have a much easier time getting it replaced under warranty if needed.

I recently replaced my battery with one from (gasp) Advance Auto. Mainly because Odyssey didn't make one to fit the 964. Optima is a good battery but not nearly as good as they originally were (happens to all good brands when they become popular).
Old 03-13-2013, 10:46 AM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

tm.cz - no problem
Old 03-13-2013, 10:52 AM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

According to some posts on the P-parts site the Optima is unchanged; there's a guy who posts there that works for Optima.

Another suggestion I've read recently is the top-of-the-line Die Hard; supposed to be AGM or some such, so no nasty acid venty on your spendy german steel.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:14 AM
Baltic964Cab
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Had a Red Top Optima that was stone dead in 3 years. Replaced with Advanced Gold AGM Diehard from Sears - Group Size 48. Sales person said Sears no longer carries Optimas because of all the issues, although they are still listed on their website (which is similar to amazon.com - meaning they list stuff on their website that they do not sell in their stone an mortar stores).
Old 03-13-2013, 11:23 AM
jpar
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once everybody and their brother started carrying Optima quality went way down IMO. You say you drive the car a few times a week and trickle charge it, then you should have no problem with a standard battery. I've been using Bosch for a few years now and they seem hold up pretty well and are reasonably priced.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:58 AM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I have optima red top in my Pcar, been replaced once under warranty..does sit a little high..hopefully it will give better service life now that I am using a CTek maintainer rather than the cheapie from HFreight that I used (although the cheapie worked well with the WalMart battert I dont think they are good with the Optima)

Have Walmart battery in Volvo wagon, date coded 2005..will be replacing it eventually!

Last edited by Silvertarga; 03-13-2013 at 12:31 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:19 PM
abarthguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 283 Likes on 173 Posts

3 to 4 years is not good for a properly maintained battery......
Old 03-13-2013, 12:33 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

FWIW. I got 7 years out of my last Diehard International. I replaced it with a Bosch because my local Sears didn't have what I needed in stock. The Bosch looks the same, except for the stickers.

Note: I use a battery maintainer during winter storage.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:48 PM
napaul
Racer

I don't know about the quality of the optimas but last year I replaced mine with an interstate and could not be happier..
Old 03-13-2013, 02:18 PM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sears Die Hard Platinum is made by Odyssey.

I come from the Jeep community who puts their rigs and batteries through hell (not a mall crawler crowd). They have all but given up on Optima for quality issues and most swear by Odyssey. But, they don't make one for the 964.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:27 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

I would really like to get a sealed (AGM) battery, but in looking around it is going to be hard to find one that isn't an Optima because the supply is very low. I have the vent tube in the car (tucked behind the battery), but should I really avoid the non-sealed ones?

Skip
Old 03-13-2013, 07:22 PM
cwrm4
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by BigMikeATL
Sears Die Hard Platinum is made by Odyssey.

I come from the Jeep community who puts their rigs and batteries through hell (not a mall crawler crowd). They have all but given up on Optima for quality issues and most swear by Odyssey. But, they don't make one for the 964.
After going through 3 Optimas in like 7 years I bought a Die Hard Platinum AGM for my 964 a year or so ago, fits great.

It also has a 48 month 100% warranty and a pro-rated 100 month warranty. It's not the lightest battery around, however. From time to time Sears will have some pretty significant sales on them.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:55 PM
CBR786
Pro

I have a optima yellow top and it sucks. If I fully charge it via my ctek agm function charger it charges fully with no warning lights. I leave the battery on my work bench not connected to anything after 4 days the battery is sitting at 11 volts and not enough power to crank a 50cc moped let alone a porsche.

I also have a calcium cell battery that sits connected for 3 months at a time to my Nissan Navara d22 pick up diesel engine and the engine has failing glow plugs so needs that extra long cranking 3 to 4 ten second bursts on starter to eventually fire and the calcium performs great (varta silver calcium battery)

I am in the camp that optima are over rated and they do gas (NOT SEALED)as when I have mine on the ctek charger I sometimes note small bubbles appearing on the top on the round grey grit stone area I think this is some sort of valve that opens up on charging to let out gases.

Quick Reply: Current Wisdom on New Battery