Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So It Begins

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 02:52 PM
Zingari
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Top bloke but is Brian Johnson as bald as a coot on top? He is never ever seen without something on his head (and I discount a 'syrup of figs') Why hide it I say
Old 08-19-2014, 05:17 PM
Mr.Alex
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What I would do to have that Porsche Classic headunit. Super clean car, love the choices your making.
Old 11-16-2014, 04:33 PM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi Guys,

I haven't been on my thread for a while so first off apologies to Mr. Alex for me not replying to you.

What I would do to have that Porsche Classic headunit. Super clean car, love the choices your making.
Thanks, it's a really good piece of kit but I understand they didn't make it to the US and they are now not available in Europe either. Although updates are available so I've just bought mine ready for when the car comes back.

Talking of which - this is going to be picture heavy but I may as well post them so bear with me please:

My unfortunate 93 year old mother-in-law had a nasty fall a few weeks ago, but fortunately for her, unfortunately for me, some idiot had parked the 964 right in the glide path of the low flying grannie. It did however nicely break her fall. So, off to the body shop which sort of wrecked the plans I had for enjoying the last of the Indian summer we were enjoying.

I'm pleased to say both grannie and the car are both in good fettle now. Although it has prompted me to start on the winter plans a little earlier than expected after a couple of smallish dents to the passenger side door were PDR'd.

The line on the garage door shows one of the dents.

And afterwards, how to get a large Lab (Sam) in a 911

Carpets out ready for the retrim, but this photo shows a template for the passenger footrest which is we're making. The driver side is the Rennline item but they don't produce a passenger side one for RHD cars and simply reversing one from a LHD doesn't fit.

And finally painted up. To make sure of a 100% match we repainted the RL one with the same black crackle paint.

It's a case of while yer in there Doc I had decided to have the sills off and have another look at some paint bubbles I'd noticed a year or so ago but I'm really nit-picking here, she really is a credit to the previous owners.

John decided the best way to tackle the paining after the small repairs was to do the full side of the car so there would be no paint seams. He's a wizard with a spray gun so I was happy just to let him get on with. We replaced all the clips and new seals for the sills which were also repainted and re-lacquered.

A tidy up after the sides and shark fins were also painted re-lacquered.

The black Porsche carpet set (previously linen) from Southbound trimmers, which Dave kindly offered to trim in black leather, for a very small fee, he really is a good guy :thumb up: Not that anyone is going to notice that, but I'll know

This photo also shows the new shift **** in black ebony made to my spec by Elihu at www.customwoodshiftknobs.com who also makes them in corian. The workmanship is fantastic and Elihu is a pleasure to deal with so if any of you are planning gong down this route I can highly recommend him :thumb up:

For comparison here's a couple of photos of the Dansk 911 (SC style) with my new one (right).

After all the engine, clutch, suspension and brake upgrades I have been pondering which seats to go for. I love the original non-sport items in my car but I feel she deserves a little more support in that area. I was considering Pole Positions but I'm not trying to make the car in a track car or an RS-alike, it's more for having a blast through to Le Mans and around Europe, with only occasional track time. I've already reduced weight with exhaust, engine parts, washer bottle, wheels etcetera and there's plenty of power on tap so if they good enough for Porsche they are certainly good enough for me.

Through RS Cars (Richard Shrive Cars) I found these little beauties which will be re-trimmed as planned with the rest of the interior, with basket weave for the cushions, door cards and smooth leather for the seat backs and grab handles. Think Singer without the back-date, just a nod in the right direction to the cars heritage. If Porsche can put modern Fuchs and houndstooth in the new 991 Classic I have no problem with modern Fuchs and basket weave, which I've always loved. I know some of you will have a problem with my "classic" takes but remember, I'm doing it for me.

If you've got this far, thanks for staying with it

More soon folks,
Paul
Old 11-16-2014, 05:18 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Looking great Paul, your car only gets better with time. Love everything about it.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:47 AM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Looking great Paul, your car only gets better with time. Love everything about it.
Thank you Laurent

Work in progress:

According to my trimmer my carpet set is actually a lightweight set, I remember enquiring about a lightweight set but could have sworn I'd decided on the normal weight. The leather trim makes it look more substantial but it's definitely a lighter carpet.

No problem though, it's good hard-wearing quality and a kilgogram or so saved.

Cheers,
Paul
Old 11-18-2014, 07:37 AM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The light weight carpets and the standard carpets weight the same.

The difference is removing sound deadening.

So what are you doing to the interior? Changing colour?
Old 11-18-2014, 08:15 AM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

The light weight carpets and the standard carpets weight the same.

The difference is removing sound deadening.

So what are you doing to the interior? Changing colour?
Hi Frank,

That's interesting as it certainly feels lighter and John the trimmer says it definitely is. Perhaps I should have weighed it all but I'm happy with what I received anyway. I'm not removing any sound deadening as she's loud enough.

Yes, I never liked the Linen carpets and marks on them drive me crazy. The seats, door cards etc., I'm doing similar to the Singer with same Spinneybeck leather (weave and smooth) in red.

When's BB back out to play?

Cheers,
Paul
Old 11-18-2014, 10:34 AM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Red! Aha I moth balled that idea - I'm going black with red accents. Which I hope suits the car's hard cure nature.

Which explains why I'm getting rid of the sound deadening- weight loss.

Your RS carpets will not be a weight loss with the original sound deadening remaining, but I understand you're building a tourer not a torture machine!

Word of warning also, the original carpet is more hard wearing.

Anyway keep us posted. I'm sure your back date interpretation/ touches will make for good reading.

Cheers,
BB
Old 11-18-2014, 11:40 AM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Red! Aha I moth balled that idea - I'm going black with red accents. Which I hope suits the car's hard cure nature.

Which explains why I'm getting rid of the sound deadening- weight loss.

Your RS carpets will not be a weight loss with the original sound deadening remaining, but I understand you're building a tourer not a torture machine!

Word of warning also, the original carpet is more hard wearing.

Anyway keep us posted. I'm sure your back date interpretation/ touches will make for good reading.

Cheers,
BB
Frank,

Black is probably best for you given the track time you put in, it wouldn't take long for red to wear in but black certainly will look great with red piping or other accents. You don't have tinnitus yet then ha! BB is going to be like being in an ordnance factory which someone set on fire

I originally decided on red with the samples Spinneybeck sent me last January below.

Then I got cold feet thinking I was completely changing the whole factory scheme and err'd for a few months thinking of adapting the existing colour scheme, hence the black carpets. However, in August when I met up with Chief, he talked me out of that and said I should go with my original plans. A few other pals chipped in and nearly all came back with the same conclusion, stick to the plan! I didn't need much persuading.

Nope, she is for tours and regularity rallies although I'm not averse to tracking her now and again.

You're right about the carpet, it won't be as hard wearing as the factory stuff but I have black sisal Coco Mats which would take a direct hit with an RPG to mess up

Strangely my new car, which I've had on order for 2 years arrives in January and the interior is erm......red and black

One of these days we'll catch up and I'll buy you a beer

Paul
Old 11-20-2014, 10:49 PM
lateforlunch
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice Paul... Im eager to see your interior after completion. I really admire your taste

also curious to learn/see what car you have on order.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:24 AM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Very nice Paul... Im eager to see your interior after completion. I really admire your taste

Thanks Late for Luch

also curious to learn/see what car you have on order.
It's this coming ready for the New Year, a Cayenne Diesel S my new workhorse. I've had the V6 for 3 years and it's been brilliant not a squeek out of it, and when I say not a squeek I mean literally! I'm looking forward to this V8 though. It's in white as below but with brushed steel cargo rails, window trims etc., same interior as below with comfort memory seats.

I'll post photos of the 911 as it's progresses but it's off the road until spring so it's not going to be a quickie.

Paul
Old 11-25-2014, 11:20 AM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Hi Chaps,

On with the carpets. I'm almost ready for the leather after I've made a final decision on the correct shades of red, I'm just waiting of one sample to arrive.

Cheers for now,
Paul
Old 11-25-2014, 01:46 PM
Rey Gunn
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lookin good Paul! Your car is going to be brand new all over again! That's incredible!
Old 11-26-2014, 04:38 PM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Hi Guys,

Thanks Rey, I've enjoyed reading about your's it's really looking great!

The carpet set has now been fitted. We will have to make some adjustments in the front footwells for the drilled (punched) pedal boards and then edge the carpets again with leather. On top of the carpet set will be the black sisal Coco Mats.

The leather has been ordered from Spinneybeck and will be shipped today so I'm looking forward to receiving that.

Oh, and the SRP Racing pedals will be re-painted black to match the pedal boards. But first I think I'll fit the gear shift **** and stainless tube (muchas Streetdaddy!)

Cheers,
Paul
Old 11-26-2014, 05:34 PM
Streetdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My pleasure.

Watching very closely. I want to add the coco mats and passenger footrest as well. Can you post a pic of rear seat/ deck area?
I get my horn button today. Will post a pic later today!

Quick Reply: So It Begins