Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 12:20 PM
Don Nguyen
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear the support guys!

Originally Posted by jotaking
Hi Don

Cool car and so original. For me it seems a shame to do this to an unmolested example. However that said, very interesting project. I am not a purist, however, I am curious to know what the main advantages of the V8 are over tuning and modding the existing 3.6??

Considerations being: -

1. New engine cost
2. Massive labour costs for "bespoke" work to get it to fit. (I presume)
3. Extra weight in the back?
4. ROI - I know you don't get this from any project but possibly less so with this build?

I believe you can tune a NA 3.8 to 350+ HP and with Turbos hitting 600HP!!

If it is pure power would this not be the way to go??

And

Would that extra weight in the back make it even more tail happy??

...subscribed
Realistically speaking, the car was not as perfect as it may seem in pictures. The previous owner also tracked the car quite a bit as well. After I post some more pictures up of me going through the car, you will see that I am glad I am going through the whole car and restoring it at the same time with the engine swap.

1. Let's just put it this way. Engine is going to cost me roughly the price of a header/exhaust kit for our cars. That's just for a base LS engine with no mods.
2. Labor isn't really an issue since I will be doing most of the work myself, and having worked in the automotive industry for ~10 years, I have met fairly knowledgeable people that I can turn to for any help/assistance on the project.
3. It's actually lighter than the original engine by 20-30lbs, due to the aluminum block.
4. If I were concerned about resale value, I probably would not modify any of my cars and just be driving stock factory cars around. This is a car I hope and plan on keeping forever, but who knows, that may always change.

The cost to tune a 3.8 NA to make 350hp would probably cost the same as my overall entire build/restoration.

-Don
Old 02-26-2013, 12:28 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Good luck with the project Don, this is going to be a great project to watch evolve. Make sure you document everything for the on lookers
Old 02-26-2013, 12:34 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Don Nguyen
...Realistically speaking, the car was not as perfect as it may seem in pictures. The previous owner also tracked the car quite a bit as well. After I post some more pictures up of me going through the car, you will see that I am glad I am going through the whole car and restoring it at the same time with the engine swap...
From the first pictures, that looks like Garrett376's old car? I remember the driveway pictures. Garrett376 was one of the original 964 DIY kings on this forum! ...so that 64 has modding in it's blood. Carry on!

I totally understand why you are doing this, and if I was staring at a 10-15K engine rebuild, I might start thinking about it too. A cam'd-out V8 sounds so, so kickarse.

For those not familiar with V8 conversions, checkout this video. The engineering behind it looks pretty solid, and it's amazing how well it integrates into the 996's systems. It's not a 964, but the conversion makes good sense, especially for a 996 (or a stripped-out Boxster rat rod project!!!!!).

Looking forward to seeing how well it works with a 964?!

Last edited by 911Jetta; 02-26-2013 at 12:56 PM. Reason: (added Boxster project)
Old 02-26-2013, 12:42 PM
PChar
Racer

Originally Posted by jotaking
Hi Don

...., I am curious to know what the main advantages of the V8 are over tuning and modding the existing 3.6??

Considerations being: -

1. New engine cost
2. Massive labour costs for "bespoke" work to get it to fit. (I presume)
3. Extra weight in the back?
4. ROI - I know you don't get this from any project but possibly less so with this build?

I believe you can tune a NA 3.8 to 350+ HP and with Turbos hitting 600HP!!

If it is pure power would this not be the way to go??

And

Would that extra weight in the back make it even more tail happy??

...subscribed
With an LS3 there is actually weight loss NOT weight gain over the 964 3.6, the most significant difference is that the weight sits higher in the engine bay than the flat six.

Also as a FYI a well tune 3.8 Porsche engine built closing on 600hp will run you well over $20 K. On the other hand a used low miles (and they all are) LS3 engine will cost you between $3500-$4500. You cant even get a seized 3.6 engine at that price,...

I say go for it. I also though about doing this in a 968 platform.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:51 PM
jotaking
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Realistically speaking, the car was not as perfect as it may seem in pictures. The previous owner also tracked the car quite a bit as well. After I post some more pictures up of me going through the car, you will see that I am glad I am going through the whole car and restoring it at the same time with the engine swap.

1. Let's just put it this way. Engine is going to cost me roughly the price of a header/exhaust kit for our cars. That's just for a base LS engine with no mods.
2. Labor isn't really an issue since I will be doing most of the work myself, and having worked in the automotive industry for ~10 years, I have met fairly knowledgeable people that I can turn to for any help/assistance on the project.
3. It's actually lighter than the original engine by 20-30lbs, due to the aluminum block.
4. If I were concerned about resale value, I probably would not modify any of my cars and just be driving stock factory cars around. This is a car I hope and plan on keeping forever, but who knows, that may always change.

The cost to tune a 3.8 NA to make 350hp would probably cost the same as my overall entire build/restoration.

-Don
Originally Posted by PChar
With an LS3 there is actually weight loss NOT weight gain over the 964 3.6, the most significant difference is that the weight sits higher in the engine bay than the flat six.

Also as a FYI a well tune 3.8 Porsche engine built closing on 600hp will run you well over $20 K. On the other hand a used low miles (and they all are) LS3 engine will cost you between $3500-$4500. You cant even get a seized 3.6 engine at that price,...

It's all beginning to make sense now. Thanks for enlightening me!!

Just remember to post plenty of pics!!

Old 02-26-2013, 01:06 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Sorry for the quick hijack, just another V8 mod story...

I would 100% do this to a BMW M3 e36. You wouldn't know anything was done to this car unless you heard it pull up. He couldn't open the hood fast enough.
Wow, did it sound menacing as it loped through the parking lot. I'd love a 4-door for the family.

I was lucky to get a quick ride in it... scary fast!

Don,
Can you explain why LS motor you chose for the project? What are the pros/cons of the various LS motors?
LS1, LS6,LS2, LS3, L99, LS4, LS7, LS9...
Old 02-26-2013, 01:52 PM
Ruf964
Instructor

-Don

let me help here... i have a 964 ls7 build going on.. the ls motor is around 58lbs lighter than the 3.6 to be more clear. the engine weight being higher is actually not a problem, it is likely less than a 5% weight movement if that. and since it weighs less to begin with i think it is actually nil. as far as a tuned 3.8 your in the 25 grand ball park on just the motor alone. to go turbo on top of that properly is another 5-8 grand. then you have a ticking high strung machine that every time you turn up the boost your just waiting to hear it go boom... sorry guys, thats my take on it. crate ls3 with harness and pcm from gm is 8700.00 renegades kit is 2600.00, so for around 11 grand you have a reliable 436hp car. weight is less, money is less, hp and tq is more and fun is more. win win in my book.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:29 PM
Don Nguyen
Racer

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
From the first pictures, that looks like Garrett376's old car? I remember the driveway pictures. Garrett376 was one of the original 964 DIY kings on this forum! ...so that 64 has modding in it's blood. Carry on!

I totally understand why you are doing this, and if I was staring at a 10-15K engine rebuild, I might start thinking about it too. A cam'd-out V8 sounds so, so kickarse.

For those not familiar with V8 conversions, checkout this video. The engineering behind it looks pretty solid, and it's amazing how well it integrates into the 996's systems. It's not a 964, but the conversion makes good sense, especially for a 996 (or a stripped-out Boxster rat rod project!!!!!).

Looking forward to seeing how well it works with a 964?!

Yep, I bought this car from him many years ago. I actually followed his engine removal DIY guide/thread and it's funny to see the exact same markings in the pictures and on the car as I went along the engine removal process.

I will always remember being at a drift event with Rhys Millen's Pontiac GTO drift car (circa 2003/4?) and the lobing of the engine hitting your chest even from 200-300 yards away, just idling.

Originally Posted by PChar

Yep. Engine is lighter, but the weight package is slightly higher than the flat 6.

I will be keeping the original engine. No need to really sell it. Maybe one day if I have nothing else to do, I will do a full rebuild on it. It'll be nice to have all of the original matching numbered parts if I ever do decide to sell the car. Not planning on selling the car, but who knows, plans aways change.

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
Sorry for the quick hijack, just another V8 mod story...

I would 100% do this to a BMW M3 e36. You wouldn't know anything was done to this car unless you heard it pull up. He couldn't open the hood fast enough.
Wow, did it sound menacing as it loped through the parking lot. I'd love a 4-door for the family.

I was lucky to get a quick ride in it... scary fast!

Don,
Can you explain why LS motor you chose for the project? What are the pros/cons of the various LS motors?
LS1, LS6,LS2, LS3, L99, LS4, LS7, LS9...
The E36 M3 in the background of one of the pictures has an LS engine in it too. I am not too quick to pop open my hood though, as I like to leave people guessing

I have an engine now, but I keep going back and forth on exactly what I want to use. I'll just wait until the engine is in the car before I reveal which one it is. Most likely it'll be a modified version of one of those.

Originally Posted by Ruf964
let me help here... i have a 964 ls7 build going on.. the ls motor is around 58lbs lighter than the 3.6 to be more clear. the engine weight being higher is actually not a problem, it is likely less than a 5% weight movement if that. and since it weighs less to begin with i think it is actually nil. as far as a tuned 3.8 your in the 25 grand ball park on just the motor alone. to go turbo on top of that properly is another 5-8 grand. then you have a ticking high strung machine that every time you turn up the boost your just waiting to hear it go boom... sorry guys, thats my take on it. crate ls3 with harness and pcm from gm is 8700.00 renegades kit is 2600.00, so for around 11 grand you have a reliable 436hp car. weight is less, money is less, hp and tq is more and fun is more. win win in my book.
Never knew the exact/rough figures of how much it'd cost to build such an engine, but that's around what I figured it'd be, which is a lot, haha.

I would probably be pretty sad if I blew up an engine like that. However, if I blew up an LS engine, I'd just jump on craigslist or the forums to find a used block for basically the cost of a set of track tires.

-Don
Old 02-26-2013, 05:24 PM
Ruf964
Instructor

DON, there are some naysayers, but for the most part i have found even diehard porsche guys at least acceptible of the idea when it comes to $$$ and hp.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:33 PM
Don Nguyen
Racer

Originally Posted by Ruf964
DON, there are some naysayers, but for the most part i have found even diehard porsche guys at least acceptible of the idea when it comes to $$$ and hp.
I thought this comment that was posted on one of the other forums that I posted this thread on was pretty humorous:

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showpost...9&postcount=10

I've been on the internet too long to know not to respond to those type of posts, as that conversations/debate is never going to go anywhere with someone as strong minded as that one.

-Don
Old 02-27-2013, 09:44 AM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I thought this comment that was posted on one of the other forums that I posted this thread on was pretty humorous:

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showpost...9&postcount=10

I've been on the internet too long to know not to respond to those type of posts, as that conversations/debate is never going to go anywhere with someone as strong minded as that one.

-Don
Wow! It's sad to read those types of comments. Does this person get out in the real world much? In any case, I know your car would be one of the most popular hangouts at any Porsche meet that I've attended.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:03 AM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

He just needs to relax and realize you're not doing it to his beloved car.

From the reading I've done an LS with trim is no heavier than a turbo motor... true?
Old 02-27-2013, 10:17 AM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well it seems you've managed to convince us all. Rooting for ya.

Were it a rare 964 like a low milage, RS, RSR, Turbo etc I think we'd all shudder.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:35 AM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

love to see the result ,
what is the weight of this engine & gearbox ?
Old 02-27-2013, 11:57 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck Don and thanks for letting us all in on your project. Like many others I'm going to subscribe to this one.

Quick Reply: Don Nguyen | My Porsche 911 V8 Build