Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   964 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum-59/)
-   -   Techart fog light removal (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/742281-techart-fog-light-removal.html)

John McM 02-23-2013 04:08 PM

Techart fog light removal

1 Attachment(s)
Does anyone know how this unit is attached?

911PERVY 02-24-2013 06:06 AM

No, but I do know they are VW Golf units if you need replacements at a fraction of the Techart price!

deutschland-dobson 02-24-2013 01:30 PM

Presume it's bumper off and remove hidden fixings?

Chris

John McM 02-24-2013 01:36 PM

I hope it's easier than that. Checking with the seller's agent as this area was repainted so they should know how to get it out. All I want to do is adjust the beam downwards. I think the painter played with the adjusting screw while he was in there.

John McM 03-15-2013 04:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Chris, you were correct. Bumper removal is required as they are held in by a bolt.

cobias1 03-15-2013 06:22 PM

does the bumper have to be cut to put these in...im at a crossroads about getting another passenger side foglight or updating to something like this one day.

John McM 03-15-2013 06:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm not sure as I didn't fit them. Here's a picture of the front side.

deutschland-dobson 03-16-2013 12:07 PM

A section of the plastic behind the fog light has been cut out to fit by the looks of it. Pretty simple job tho.

Chris

g60pops 03-16-2013 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by cobias1 (Post 10303871)
does the bumper have to be cut to put these in...im at a crossroads about getting another passenger side foglight or updating to something like this one day.

Frank (Black Betty) may know the answer to this as he fitted a set last year.

cobalt 03-17-2013 12:20 PM

yes you have to cut the bumper to fit the tech art fogs. Crazy expensive to buy though. There is an adjustment screw to the left of the tech art lettering which allows you to aim the fogs. I did not need to remove my bumper to install or adjust mine.

g60pops 08-13-2014 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by cobalt (Post 10307620)
yes you have to cut the bumper to fit the tech art fogs. Crazy expensive to buy though. There is an adjustment screw to the left of the tech art lettering which allows you to aim the fogs. I did not need to remove my bumper to install or adjust mine.

Any tips on how you managed this as I have a set to install?

cobalt 08-13-2014 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by g60pops (Post 11573633)
Any tips on how you managed this as I have a set to install?

It has been a number of years but what info do you need?

You will at a minimum need to remove the two trays under the bumper to reach around to fit and adjust.

I am assuming you have the instructions and templates?

Although they recommend cutting the entire back behind the fog light away you can cut far less and I recommend not cutting the areas that have the screws for the fog lights it makes sense to just remove the screws in case you change your mind and want to return it to the stock look. The bumper cuts very easily with a dremel tool, or even a dry wall saw or sharp razor knife just take your time. Once you have the bumper cut installation is pretty straight forward IIRC.

You can see the single adjustment screw in the picture John posted. It is a simple up or down adjustment.

tm.cz 08-14-2014 05:23 AM

Any chance anyone might have the original instructions and templates? I picked up a used set that didn't include either.

Originally Posted by cobalt (Post 11574100)
It has been a number of years but what info do you need?

You will at a minimum need to remove the two trays under the bumper to reach around to fit and adjust.

I am assuming you have the instructions and templates?

Although they recommend cutting the entire back behind the fog light away you can cut far less and I recommend not cutting the areas that have the screws for the fog lights it makes sense to just remove the screws in case you change your mind and want to return it to the stock look. The bumper cuts very easily with a dremel tool, or even a dry wall saw or sharp razor knife just take your time. Once you have the bumper cut installation is pretty straight forward IIRC.

You can see the single adjustment screw in the picture John posted. It is a simple up or down adjustment.

jiany 05-04-2016 01:50 AM

964 c4 1991

Originally Posted by 911PERVY (Post 10250061)
No, but I do know they are VW Golf units if you need replacements at a fraction of the Techart price!

hi bud. I just read your thread. I'm in the process of doing a complete renovation actually almost done of my c4 1991 964. I'm thinking of canceling the very expensive $505 fog light and switching them for the ones on your picture. looks better anyways. you mention vw golf. what year and model fits for my 964. many thanks

cobalt 05-04-2016 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by jiany (Post 13256256)
hi bud. I just read your thread. I'm in the process of doing a complete renovation actually almost done of my c4 1991 964. I'm thinking of canceling the very expensive $505 fog light and switching them for the ones on your picture. looks better anyways. you mention vw golf. what year and model fits for my 964. many thanks

You need to buy the tech art kit it is pricey and requires painting. http://www.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/-/...s_964_965.html