Sponsored by:

Blue C4 - Evolution

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 01:15 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jack.pe

Taken out some of the tools as well.. such as the tow hooks.. are they really needed if the car is not going on track?
If you ever need to be recovered by a flat bed, you will need the tow hook so that he can winch you on. This happened to a chap in a 964 who was waiting at the side of the road with an AA flat bed....they were both scratching their heads about how to get the car aboard the bed until, luckily, I passed by and lent him mine.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:50 PM
g60pops
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Impressive progress thus far, keep it up
Old 04-26-2013, 02:57 PM
geordie
Pro

[QUOTE=jack.pe;10415824]Ok, so an update... I've bought some scales and have been weighing everything I've been taking out of the car..

Weight savings:

Cat bypass: ? approx 7lbs
Rs flywheel: ? approx 24lbs w/ RS clutch

You might want to change your OEM battery for a lightweight one - Rennline sell ltwt battery mount kit:

http://www.rennline.com/Battery-Moun.../products/174/

You should save ~ 23lbs with this.

Unfortunately, losing weight at the front is easy, the back end, not so much ...
Old 04-29-2013, 05:50 AM
jack.pe
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boxsey911
If you ever need to be recovered by a flat bed, you will need the tow hook so that he can winch you on. This happened to a chap in a 964 who was waiting at the side of the road with an AA flat bed....they were both scratching their heads about how to get the car aboard the bed until, luckily, I passed by and lent him mine.
Thanks... tow hook back in... but now taken out the jack anyhow so more weight saved...
Old 04-29-2013, 05:52 AM
jack.pe
Three Wheelin'

Default Bilsteins fitted

Finished off the installation of new dampers this weekend. I opted to cut the bracket for the brake lines as opposed to dismantling and having to then bleed the whole system. On the new dampers i also cut a slot and once the retaining clip is in place the line seems secure enough. one thing I did not see in any of the guides is about the various plastic brackets, one write up just said to twist them out.. I'm glad I did not, they are the push pin type and the only way I could see to take them out without breaking them was to cut the metal mount so i could reach under and push the pin back through, thus releasing the little wedges holding everything in place. Some pics below should show what I mean.
Also after 2 hours finally managed to get out that seized pad... i ended up having to cut a slot in the pad so i could insert a pry bar to lever it out.. even the pad puller was making no progress! Will give the caliper a quick coat of pain as it is now a bit battle scarred. Luckily all pistons moving well and all seals look in good condition.
Attached Images      
Old 04-29-2013, 09:29 AM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like a fun project. What is the motive for weight reduction?
Old 04-29-2013, 10:08 AM
jack.pe
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BigMikeATL
Looks like a fun project. What is the motive for weight reduction?
I hate excess weight in modern cars.. so just want to get rid of everything that is surplus without compromising the car too much. For example the spare tire and pump are just excess weight when you can just keep a can of Tire Weld in the car. I don't use the rear seats so they're going too.. less weight should improve the car in every way... handling, braking and performance. I think the brakes are not the best but rather than add extra unstrung weight with Big Reds I am hoping that 100|KGs less to cart around might in itself improve this without having to upgrade..
Old 04-29-2013, 10:09 AM
PeterS911
Advanced

100 KG is a lot. How about chucking the passenger seat out.

And I presume you will just be running on 2 litres of fuel at a time?

Lightweight clothing?
Old 04-29-2013, 10:22 AM
jack.pe
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by PeterS911
100 KG is a lot. How about chucking the passenger seat out.

And I presume you will just be running on 2 litres of fuel at a time?

Lightweight clothing?
It is a lot but everything so far including the RS Clutch, flywheel and G-Pipe (which are not on my weights list yet..) I am already close to half that. I will also do sunroof delete, Recaros, lightweight doorcards, stereo Delete, rear blower delete and possibly lightweight bonnet and engine deck. So i think it is doable.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:42 PM
Zingari
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I keep the weight down by leaving the Mrs at home.

BTW Did you replace the top mounts or keep the originals?
Old 04-29-2013, 05:41 PM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking good Jack!

I don't know how much truth there is in this, but I thought that the spare wheel/tyre is actually part of the crash protection setup of the front end?

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...rotection.html
Old 04-29-2013, 06:41 PM
fuch
Rennlist Member

It is a lot but everything so far including the RS Clutch, flywheel and G-Pipe (which are not on my weights list yet..) I am already close to half that. I will also do sunroof delete, Recaros, lightweight doorcards, stereo Delete, rear blower delete and possibly lightweight bonnet and engine deck. So i think it is doable.
I know when I swaped my standard seats for the recaros they felt tons lighter so all the bits and bobs combined do make a difference

Nice diy on the suspension jack & I have not forgotten about you just been biz...
Old 04-30-2013, 01:55 AM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

Received 225 Likes on 161 Posts

Finished off the installation of new dampers this weekend. I opted to cut the bracket for the brake lines as opposed to dismantling and having to then bleed the whole system. On the new dampers i also cut a slot and once the retaining clip is in place the line seems secure enough. one thing I did not see in any of the guides is about the various plastic brackets, one write up just said to twist them out.. I'm glad I did not, they are the push pin type and the only way I could see to take them out without breaking them was to cut the metal mount so i could reach under and push the pin back through, thus releasing the little wedges holding everything in place. Some pics below should show what I mean.
Also after 2 hours finally managed to get out that seized pad... i ended up having to cut a slot in the pad so i could insert a pry bar to lever it out.. even the pad puller was making no progress! Will give the caliper a quick coat of pain as it is now a bit battle scarred. Luckily all pistons moving well and all seals look in good condition.

I plan to do the same. How did you cut the brake line mount, dremel?
Old 04-30-2013, 04:19 AM
jack.pe
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by c didy
I plan to do the same. How did you cut the brake line mount, dremel?
Yep, Dremel... That little tool has been absolutely invaluable!! Was also essential in getting out my old seized pads. Had to cut slots on the top so I could get a pry bar in there to lift them out
Old 04-30-2013, 04:21 AM
jack.pe
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Zingari
I keep the weight down by leaving the Mrs at home.

BTW Did you replace the top mounts or keep the originals?
Originals in great shape so kept them!

Quick Reply: Blue C4 - Evolution