Sponsored by:

'91 964 C2 coilovers - opinion or experience

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 06:52 AM
Defiant
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jellonailer
No spring rates yet, we'll decide after I get the car weight to him and he quizes me a little. He's is very confidence inspiring, had me sold on them pretty easily. He had me at "you'll pick up 3-5 on a short course".

I'm sure it will cost me a little bit more than I was planning. Of course it always does with these kinds of things.

I'm thinking Motion Control on a 6-GT3 is probably pretty special.
Cool! Where you the one I took for a ride at the TWS DE a couple of weeks ago? I'm an instructor for LSR PCA and had my black 964 named Daffy with me.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:18 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Control provides improved confidence and that's an integral part of driver performance.
THIS!!! Is huge.

This is the reason the really nice suspension can gain the driver time in such a chunk. It dosen't happen the first day (half of it does), but over time as the driver begins to realize he can push a bit, gains the skills to do so and then settles down and relaxes behind the wheel. (some will stop their progression right here..)

At that point a plateau occurs and we futz with the suspension to create a bit more "reaction" in the car. It seems nervous and more edgy, perhaps a bit more scary...but it's faster; a bit more difficult to drive, but faster indeed.

This occurs perhaps a few more times, and then the driver says those "certain things"...
Old 02-14-2013, 08:21 AM
jellonailer
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Daffy. That be me.

When you drove this car it was, underwhelming.

Your car was inspiring...
Old 02-14-2013, 02:02 PM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jellonailer
You guys are right, Steve is the man. Spoke with him last night, it will be Motion Control.

Thanks everyone
Can you go into more detail of the advantages of MC that caused you to go in this direction?

Thanks!
Old 02-14-2013, 03:22 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Brings back some great memories of conversations with Steve. I have Moton club sports and love them for track and they so just fine on the street too. This is a sports car and not a Cadillac cruiser...

Enjoy the new suspension and Steve is the man!
Old 02-14-2013, 03:40 PM
Ruf964
Instructor

i have bilstein pss9's on my car currently with hr green springs. also have a set of pss10's with hr greens. my car is a dd but currently under the knife. but last drive on the street the pss9's were liveable. good highspeed corners but moderatly stiff around town.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:06 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

^I would think all the extra torque from that V8 you're installing is going to require a revisit to the rear spring rates and dampeners on your car.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:05 PM
provoste
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default ?

Originally Posted by Ruf964
i have bilstein pss9's on my car currently with hr green springs. also have a set of pss10's with hr greens. my car is a dd but currently under the knife. but last drive on the street the pss9's were liveable. good highspeed corners but moderatly stiff around town.
I'm confused- H&R greens are not 2.5 ID springs which all PSS9/10 require. I was under the impression H&R green/red only worked with stock style absorbers? I'm currently running PSS10's with stiffer H&R 2.5 ID race springs...
Old 02-14-2013, 05:47 PM
jellonailer
Rennlist Member

I like the vast adjust ability and the ease of setting rebound under the hood/deck lid with a couple of clicks. This along with the experience, patience and reputation of Steve and other comments or advise given to me by racers pushed me in this direction.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:33 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Jello, I can tell you they are SUBLIME.

At the lower settings I've played with, even with my springs, the ride is actually quite nice.

Interestingly (not to Steve, of course), one day I was working with the dampers on a bumpy track. I felt I was close, but still a bit too bumpy and edgy, so I pulled out even more rebound and bump.

IT WAS WONDERFUL, I felt as though I was in real control, that the car was sticking and that I was really on the way to best lap times.

Two seconds slower! But it sure felt good....
Old 02-14-2013, 10:20 PM
Ruf964
Instructor

Originally Posted by provoste
I'm confused- H&R greens are not 2.5 ID springs which all PSS9/10 require. I was under the impression H&R green/red only worked with stock style absorbers? I'm currently running PSS10's with stiffer H&R 2.5 ID race springs...
Dont know what to tell you. im not a racer by any means but the springs are green in color and say h&r on them. maybe 2.5 greens? i have no idea. but they are in the car. i have a build thread here and there is a pic with them in it.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:21 PM
Ruf964
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vandit
^I would think all the extra torque from that V8 you're installing is going to require a revisit to the rear spring rates and dampeners on your car.
very likely vandit. i would agree with you on that one. the ls motor is lighter than the pcar motor but hp and tq is over double.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:06 PM
provoste
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruf964
Dont know what to tell you. im not a racer by any means but the springs are green in color and say h&r on them. maybe 2.5 greens? i have no idea. but they are in the car. i have a build thread here and there is a pic with them in it.
Your car is the top picture, and you're correct, you have H&R green springs, but I'm almost positive those are Bilstein HD dampers- not PSS9/10's. PSS9 and PSS10's.. which are named as such because they are either 9 or 10 way adjustable on compression/rebound damping. Also, stock Bilstein PSS9/10 springs are always baby blue. The lower picture is my PSS10 with aftermarket H&R 2.5 ID race springs. The 2.5 ID race springs are a much tighter coil and are pretty standard sizing across all coil-over's.
Attached Images   
Old 02-15-2013, 12:08 AM
jellonailer
Rennlist Member

KaiB, thanks for your input. Gives me confidence to move forward.

Your RSA reminds me of the one in the classified, also red.

Last edited by jellonailer; 02-15-2013 at 12:54 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:04 AM
Ruf964
Instructor

Originally Posted by provoste
Your car is the top picture, and you're correct, you have H&R green springs, but I'm almost positive those are Bilstein HD dampers- not PSS9/10's. PSS9 and PSS10's.. which are named as such because they are either 9 or 10 way adjustable on compression/rebound damping. Also, stock Bilstein PSS9/10 springs are always baby blue. The lower picture is my PSS10 with aftermarket H&R 2.5 ID race springs. The 2.5 ID race springs are a much tighter coil and are pretty standard sizing across all coil-over's.
thank you for clarification. again, i have owned many 911's but this is the first non torsion car/now also have a 993 racecar, but the 964 was first. the prior owner told me they are pss9's with hr greens. i had no reason to disbelieve him. again for this threads purpose they corner great but are a little stiff on intown roads.

Quick Reply: '91 964 C2 coilovers - opinion or experience