Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cab owners - who has removed their tattered headliner?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 08:53 AM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cab owners - who has removed their tattered headliner?

My headliner has a few holes in it and I'm thinking of just removing it. The original top is in excellent shape and it won't be coming apart anytime soon.

Anyone remove their headliner?
Old 02-07-2013, 03:46 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

Following this thread...

Mine has gotten to a point where it is literally turning to dust. Tearing the whole thing out is on my spring to-do list.

I can't imagine that it offers anything by way of sound reduction nor insulation. I can't see a reason why not? In fact, I can't quite understand why it's there in the first place.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:47 PM
hamah
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've often wondered if there was supposed to be a headliner in there. I've got the top frame pretty much exposed in my car and can see the houndstooth pattern on the back of the canvas. When I got it the top had just been replaced (whoever did that never saw it necessary to replace the headliner) and so I don't know any differently. Seems fine to me, but then again the top is hardly ever up when I'm driving
Old 08-24-2013, 05:45 PM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

Bringing this thread back from the dead.

Has anyone removed their headliner from their cab top. I think I'm going to do it tomorrow but would like some feedback on pros or cons. Thanks.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:15 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

Rip it out and don't look back.

The only thing that you'll notice are two silver cloth strips on the underside of the top (maybe? mine was replaced over a decade ago).
Old 08-24-2013, 08:41 PM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by -nick
Rip it out and don't look back.

The only thing that you'll notice are two silver cloth strips on the underside of the top (maybe? mine was replaced over a decade ago).
Thanks, I'm moving forward.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:09 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

I took mine out a d replaced it with a gray foam backed fabric that was easy to cut to shape and fit in with little effort. Adds to look of interior ( have a gray interior ) and keeps a finished look. Also helps with some noise when the top was up. ( All out the window now as fitting a hard top)
Old 08-25-2013, 06:05 PM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

Do you have any pictures Gus. I know the material but wondering how you installed it.

I removed my headliner today, it was pretty dry-rotted. No wonder it shredded in the wind.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:45 PM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Big Mike -
I don't have any really good pictures that I can post - but here are some that I just took of the top in the box and they may be of some help to you. I did a top install about 5 years ago and at that time i replaced the liner with the foam backed fabric ( see picture). Right now my Cab top is in a box over the garage. (see picture). The pictures will give you and idea of how it would look - to a degree> The sides that fit under the sides of the top an be left just cut as the fabric does not fray - a look of the wear to the liner is from not putting the toneau cover on when the top is down and this lets the wind buffet the liner and wear it out.
The front and the back of the fabric can be place under the front header. I think that you can remove a section of the front header to install or just push it up under the header. The back section just behind the "B" pillars needs to be fitted in place I think there are a few screws that you have to undo to get the cover off. I really can't recall the details as it has been a while - but once you get into it it is very straight forward.
Attached Images      
Old 08-25-2013, 11:13 PM
JJJMCD
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I ripped mine out and noticed the silver stripes and a somewhat noiser interior when the top was up. I have since replaced it with a GAHH 993-style top with new headliner - much better!

Quick Reply: Cab owners - who has removed their tattered headliner?