Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race / Track Pad recommendation??

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 12:55 PM
Defiant
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Race / Track Pad recommendation??

So I've got a brake upgrade planned but just don't have parts ordered yet. It'll take me a bit and I've got another track weekend in two weeks. I just ruined a set of track / street pads and rotors this past weekend.

I've still got the stock brake system. I'll be replacing the rotors with new ones. Does anyone have a good recommendation for FULL track / race pads? I'll swap them out when driving on the street. I used to use PFC 06 on my E46 M3. I use Pagid Orange on my race car. I've also used Hawk Blue but wasn't as impressed with them.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:08 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sort of like asking "which oil", nonetheless..

I've been on Pagid RS-29s both front and rear and swear by them. They do "go away" at about 50% (for "on the edge" use, anyway), but are VERY good on rotors.

Edit to add: For your car, ideal might be the use of the Yellows (RS29s) in front and Blacks in back...this will give you just a tad more rear bias.

Never, ever, ever, ever use the Hawk Blues - unless you intend to use them for two laps to clean your rotors. They chew them up and spit them back out very used.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:19 PM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 148 Likes on 94 Posts

Would these be for the car in your avatar? You said you ruined a set of pads and rotors at your last event. What pads were you running?

On the SC/Carrera the Pagid RS29 is a good choice since the SC/Carrera brakes are small and get hot. I've found the RS29 transmits less heat into the calipers than other pads which makes a big difference on the smaller brakes. Use a good racing brake fluid and make sure you have adequate air flow to the rotors for cooling.

If for a 964, another good choice is the Performance Friction 08 Compound. They don't fall off like the RS29 as they get down below 50%.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:23 PM
LC MotorSports
Former Vendor

Mark always gives great advise.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:21 PM
ValveFloat
Rennlist Member

I have been very happy with Performance Friction pads on my OEM set-up. I have only used the 97 compound. They are kind of hard on rotors, but the performance is excellent, and I run on a track that is really hard on brakes.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:51 PM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I also use PF 97 and am quite happy with them.

I don't find them hard on the rotors, but I have Cryo treated rotors ( I just opened up another can of worms!)
Old 01-21-2013, 06:55 PM
LC MotorSports
Former Vendor

At least they can not wiggle around that much....
Old 01-21-2013, 08:34 PM
carreragttech
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used both the Performance friction and the Pagid pads! Performance friction have better bite on the street and do great at the track! I felt the Pagid yellows did not work as good till you developed heat in the pad then it worked great! Hope this helps!
Old 01-21-2013, 11:07 PM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RS29s are not usable on the street ... they are unbelievably loud .. to the point where you need ear-plugs .. seriously!
Old 01-22-2013, 12:32 PM
Defiant
Instructor

Originally Posted by Carrera51
Would these be for the car in your avatar? You said you ruined a set of pads and rotors at your last event. What pads were you running?

On the SC/Carrera the Pagid RS29 is a good choice since the SC/Carrera brakes are small and get hot. I've found the RS29 transmits less heat into the calipers than other pads which makes a big difference on the smaller brakes. Use a good racing brake fluid and make sure you have adequate air flow to the rotors for cooling.

If for a 964, another good choice is the Performance Friction 08 Compound. They don't fall off like the RS29 as they get down below 50%.
Thanks for the response! Next time I order I'll give you a shout. These are for my 964. I need to change my Avatar since most of the time on Rennlist I'm in the 964 forum. I use Pagid Black for the SC race car.

I ordered a set of Pagid Orange front and Black rear. I borrowed a set of later model 964 calipers from a good friend.

I hadn't heard of the 08 PF compound. I just read up on it and it looks promising! When I do my big brake upgrade I may give those a shot as well.

Originally Posted by KaiB
Sort of like asking "which oil", nonetheless..

I've been on Pagid RS-29s both front and rear and swear by them. They do "go away" at about 50% (for "on the edge" use, anyway), but are VERY good on rotors.

Edit to add: For your car, ideal might be the use of the Yellows (RS29s) in front and Blacks in back...this will give you just a tad more rear bias.

Never, ever, ever, ever use the Hawk Blues - unless you intend to use them for two laps to clean your rotors. They chew them up and spit them back out very used.
Thanks Kai. Many of the E stock gang uses the Hawk Blue but I didn't really care for them that much. I like your idea about more rear bias. I did go with the black for rear.

Thanks to everyone who responded. I'll update this thread after the Feb DE event.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:58 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiB

I have Hawk blues and have no problems with them....

So does Boxsey - who will hopefully chime in with more extensive feedback...

Also have a set of EBC yellows.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:12 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche964FP
I have Hawk blues and have no problems with them....

So does Boxsey - who will hopefully chime in with more extensive feedback...

Also have a set of EBC yellows.
Kai is a better/faster driver than me so my guess is that for his use he finds them harsh. I also guess that I'm much more cautious on the brakes and the Hawk blues have suited my style. So yes, I've been very impressed with them, not had bad wear issues and the only thing I dislike about them is that damn corrosive dust. I've had judder problems with Pagids (RS15 greys) but it looks like, with hindsight, that was caused by a bad mismatch of running road pads on the rear at the same time.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:31 PM
KaiB
Banned

The Pagid Oranges will leave a deposit on your rotors which builds up over time. At some point, the buildup will be large enough that it will begin to feel as though a rotor has warped, i.e., you'll feel a "shimmy". At that point, throw in a set of Hawk Blues and run two hot laps, they'll clean the rotors down for you.

Or a 3M pad on a pneumatic rotor will clean them.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:32 PM
KaiB
Banned

Originally Posted by boxsey911
Kai is a better/faster driver than me so my guess is that for his use he finds them harsh.
Far too much credit given here.

I just shut my eyes more...
Old 01-22-2013, 02:40 PM
h_____
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

RS 29s for me. Unless you are sprint racing then you can accept more degredation on your pads......I've tried a few, but settled on RS29s for longevity and consistency.

I was going to say dont worry about road use for the noise, but I tend to wear earplugs in the car on the street anyway.

As stated above pagids are pretty good on disks.

Personally i dont mind noisy brakes...

Quick Reply: Race / Track Pad recommendation??