Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race / Track Pad recommendation??

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 09:01 PM
mkd944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

After years of using Pagid Orange and Black, I decided to try Hawk HT-10 pads and have been very happy with the results. The Hawks don't take as long to come up to temp and have a more progressive feel like a street pad but still give me the plenty of braking power. They also don't seem to be as hard on my rotors. No affiliation.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:02 PM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KaiB
I'll clarify - for street use it's my arguement that (beyond the bedding issues and noise) race type pads are a mistake.

At calm speeds and during calm use, a guy might not notice a difference, however some here have indicated that they enjoy "spirited" road driving. It is my contention that during these outings, when a person really wants precise control of his slow pedal, the race pad will usually not be at temp - thus the use of the term "inconsistent".

I depend on the brakes for all sorts of things beyond simply slowing down at a stop light in town. Balance, chassis setup, dynamic trail braking and simple threshold braking all play a role - if the pads are grabby, slick or merely not the same every time I ask them to do something - something could go wrong at precisely the wrong time. Some may not notice these inconsistencies, others will.

I would not run race type pads on the street.

The only "spirited" driving I do happens on the track anyway.
i don't disagree with any of your comments except that i doubt anybody's 'spirited road driving' would come close to track type driving.

would anyone slide their car sideways on a street road at 150kph with trees on the side on the side of the road? does anyone do heavy braking from 230kph to 80kph to take some street corners at 100% speed? i think people's 'spirited street driving' would not come that close to track driving - particularly those that have never done any track driving.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:41 AM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sml
i don't disagree with any of your comments except that i doubt anybody's 'spirited road driving' would come close to track type driving.

would anyone slide their car sideways on a street road at 150kph with trees on the side on the side of the road? does anyone do heavy braking from 230kph to 80kph to take some street corners at 100% speed? i think people's 'spirited street driving' would not come that close to track driving - particularly those that have never done any track driving.
Precisely my point and the very reason I don't like the thought of race type pads on the street.

Colin mentions the use of Pagid Blacks for hill climbs - where the driver has no real opportunity to get the brakes up to temp prior to use. Makes sense.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:53 AM
h_____
Instructor

Fair comments if you use your car on the road a lot, of the few miles I do on the road, too much hassle to change the pads. Plus I drive steadily on the road in the 964. I really dont find RS29s quite so noisy, but I guess I may have been lucky. Once they are bedded in properly, they seem OK.

Agree grip / bite when cold isnt great, and would recommend them for sprinting or even sprint racing esp. But for trackdays, they have good longevity and dont chew disks, which is good.

Sadly my car seems to be used for trackdays.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:54 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm running Pagid RS-29s (yellow) on my fronts with bigger rotors (Zimmer) with SRF race fluid.
My rears are stock and need pads - have a set of Pagid Blues here - make sense to use them?
Will it help the bias a bit?

Its a 50/50 track/road car ie I drive to the track slowly and drive on it fast
then home once the brakes are cooled
Old 11-14-2013, 11:40 AM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 148 Likes on 94 Posts

You could run the RS4-2 Blue in the rear. Not all that different than the RS4-4 Orange.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:31 PM
jellonailer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

PFC 8 and 6. work really well in my 964
Old 11-15-2013, 01:53 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

My car came with HP black, but when I used them I'm sticking with Wharton I know; PFC 08 and SRF.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:12 AM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

For what it's worth I once had the rare pleasure of performing a quality audit at PFC's Clover, SC facility. To say that I was impressed with their operation would be to put it mildly; in fact they made me proud to be an American.

Two things of merit:

1a. I found very little to take issue with in their quality system.
1b. The things I did find were *gratefully* received, and rectified in a matter of days.

2. At the time, the typical size of a batch of friction compound was about 1500 lb/700kg; the mass of each constituent was controlled to within .5g (0.018 oz (!)).

I don't think they make a C4 street pad, else I'd run them exclusively.

Quick Reply: Race / Track Pad recommendation??