Sponsored by:

Respray Time Q. Window seals

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 08:23 PM
time666
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Respray Time Q. Window seals

I am currently on with getting a full glass out respray of my car and its going to be a long few months while this gets done by my paint shop as fill in jobs so looking at end of march for completion.

While this is starting week 2 and all the glass is out the car (except doors) and small penny dents have been removed (which was pretty impressive).

Reason for respray was small rust spot on upper wing so suspected corrosion underneath, and very small amount of corrosion starting around front screen seals which was not really noticeable. Anyway alot more was found once the screen was out.

Anyway just a quick question about the rear side windows, i was told to change these for 993 rubber seals as once piece rubber without the alu strips, cant find much about this on search but does this seem like a good idea?

And main front and rear window seals, should these be replaced with new or re use old? They dont look in bad condition so hoping i can. Although i did notice that once the screen was out, there was a bead of clear plumbers silicone around the channel where the front screen sits which was not expected!

I Will change wing scuttle seals, sunroof, rear bumper, sill and front bumper smile seals to make it a nice job anyway. Just could do with opinions on the glass seals and 993 side seals Q above.

Thanks
Tim
Old 01-16-2013, 04:24 AM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lemass has 993 rear Qtr seals, hopefully he will be along to give some guidance

They do look very good and dont have the issue of the trim strip
Old 01-16-2013, 05:19 AM
ras62
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I put 993 seals on my car, they do look cleaner and less cluttered than the old ones, slightly more flush, maybe even a little less wind noise. Visually you would be hard pressed to notice the difference tbh. A sensible mod imo. As for the other seals, if they are still soft and in good condition then reuse them, if they are hard, fading and tatty then put new ones in. Its the kind of job you only do once so best to do it properly. Rob
Old 01-16-2013, 05:56 AM
fuch
Rennlist Member

993 seals do look good as I think they match the car as the f&r rubbers are solid & the 964 1/4 seals have the trim like the 930 that looks a bit odd as its the only rubber on the car with trims in the rubber...the only thing is you need the rubber & glass as the shape is slightly different..

If you can stretch your budget to new rubbers go for it as it will look so much better with new paint , the front rubber I can get you a great price on but the rear you will have to get from Porsche..pm me if you want & will go from there..
Old 01-16-2013, 07:04 AM
fuch
Rennlist Member

Just did a job for Tom & his car was there so took a pic for you..
Old 01-16-2013, 07:34 AM
Lemass Automotive
Rennlist Member

yep, definatly go for 993 rear quarters.
i got my rubbers 2nd hand but nearly new for £20 each from jasmine
glass is cheap too
Fuch may be able to help you with that.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:12 AM
deutschland-dobson
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemass Automotive
yep, definatly go for 993 rear quarters.
i got my rubbers 2nd hand but nearly new for £20 each from jasmine
glass is cheap too
Fuch may be able to help you with that.
Tom,

Can the swap be done without damaging existing paint?

Had mine sprayed recently and didnt realise the conversion was possible. May fancy swapping now

Ta
Chris
Old 01-16-2013, 08:21 AM
ghhally
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Can't you reuse the 964 glass.
I received confirmation it was possible.?
Old 01-16-2013, 09:56 AM
time666
Racer

Ok great, thanks for the replies, and the pic fuch that helps a lot. Never seen the 993 1/4 rubbers fitted before just been advised to do it, so nice to see the result.

Must admit i was only going with the rubbers, as had been told they will directly replace the 964 glass. So the glass is different on the 993, just wondering if the seals would still work with 964 glass or not. If there's any risk of water ingress then i would def replace the glass!

Just that my indy said just for the rubber to be upgraded, on the 1/4's.

Fuch/Tom do you know if the car in the pic above has the 993 glass too?

I will check the rubbers and get back to you Fuch if needed, i def need a load of other seals though will i need to source shortly.

Cheers tim
Old 01-16-2013, 10:04 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tim, unit 11 Warrington recently changed the quarter window seals to 993 ones for Sten (Barry) on his 964. AFAIK the glasses weren't changed. I'll probably be getting them to do mine too once I've confirmed that the old seals are the source of my leak.

BTW my front rubber seal was re-used when I had the screen replaced and the rust sorted.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:45 AM
ras62
Burning Brakes

On my car the original windows were fitted with 993 seals with no problems and zero leaks
Old 01-16-2013, 12:18 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ras62
On my car the original windows were fitted with 993 seals with no problems and zero leaks
Did you do them yourself Rob and if so, degree of difficulty?
Old 01-16-2013, 12:39 PM
ras62
Burning Brakes

Hi Steve, Unit Eleven did them when the car was having some other bits done. I was there when John did the job, very simple to get them out, a bit more difficult to put them back in, cord to get the seal overlap inside, start with the two corners nearest the door IIRC, and putting them in is better with two people, one to put pressure on the glass outside, one to do the cord pull inside.
If you are doing it yourself and need a hand just drop me a mail.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:04 PM
time666
Racer

Thanks Steve, Rob.

It was actually John (unit 11) who recommended the mod as they my indy for repairs and servicing etc. He did mention someone who had a front screen removed at their garage just in case the screen broke and he was talking me through the repairs and plating work. (could this be yours?)

And it was their advise to get a rust spot sorted has led me down the full respray route now, having assessed the few areas that needed doing and on balance (rear screen rust spot / front wing rust spot and rear panel above bumper and front screen.

To be honest the paint shop said that the rust is not too bad all things considered, and better to have caught the corrosion in these early stages rather than later having to cut everything out and lots of plating, so long term, makes sense to take the plunge.

The hardest bit will be choosing the colour of black to put back on. So many choices i don't know where to start, but this is a fair way off yet and a nice problem to have on my hands!
Old 01-16-2013, 03:27 PM
Lemass Automotive
Rennlist Member

The car in the pic is mine. We fitted 993 glass and rubbers. The glass is a different size to 964 but if others have done it then I'm sure it will be fine.
I do like new glass though. No scratches etc

Quick Reply: Respray Time Q. Window seals