Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help How To Reattach The Far End Of The Secondary Throttle Cable of My 1990 964

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 05:04 PM
964titan
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help How To Reattach The Far End Of The Secondary Throttle Cable of My 1990 964

I have a 1990 964 C-2 Coupe that recently developed a few oil leaks. One was due to a faulty Oil Pressure Sending Unit. In fixing that problem, I created another one that required my immediate attention. The new problem was an inoperable SECONDARY THROTTLE CABLE (the one you see when you open the engine hood) that I created when I moved the cable to remove some fuel injection parts. Apparently moving the front half of this throttle cable can cause the end of the cable to become detached from its mounting. Now, the cable will not function at all!

QUESTIONS:

1) What does the far end attachment point of this throttle cable look like?

2) How does the cable attachment mechanism work?

3) Can the cable end be reattached, or its attachments be reconnected to the cable to make it work...without directly seeing it?

4) If not…what parts need to be removed to get enough access to reattach the pesky cable, tension spring or whatever the problem is?

ATTACHMENT LOCATION OBSERVATIONS: The cable attachment point is behind the air cooling turbine, beneath the fuel injection connector tubes…and near the point where the main throttle cable (that runs from the gas pedal in the cabin) links up with the fuel injection system. When I followed the cable back with my hand, it feels like there is a pivoting arm where the cable is attached…but there is no tension on the cable, as if a tension spring or something else, came off when I previously detached the cable at the throttle housing. I am just guessing.

I would appreciate it if someone who has seen the area in question would help me out. I am at my wits end.

David Schmidt
Old 01-14-2013, 05:21 PM
964titan
6th Gear

Default Which Throttle Cable Is That?

I was not able to upload a photo of the cable, so I thought I might wnt to be a little more specific about which throttle cable I mean.

As soon as you open the engine hood...look above the engine turbine. You'll see a thick black cable that runs from the Throttle Housing through the center of your field of view to your RIGHT across the shiny aluminum triple down-tube that takes the fuel and air mixture to the right-side cylinders. That is, in my own terminology, the "SECONDARY THROTTLE CABLE" because the main throttle cable runs through the center of the car to the gas pedal.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:31 PM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I believe that it is the "cruise Control" cable.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:15 PM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

a few pix
Attached Images    
Old 01-14-2013, 09:08 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, that is the CC servo missing the cable.

It is just a ball and cup, I dont think there is even a safty pin like on the accelerator cable... assuming the rest of its all there.

There is no tension spring or anything of that nature. You will probably have to have pretty good access to it to get it snapped back on.

You might get away with removing the rear fan unit to give you some room enough to get back there and pop it back on.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:54 PM
964titan
6th Gear

Default The Description of the Cable I Posted Was Incorrect!

I apologize a thousand times for the misidentification of this cable. It is linked at the throttle body to the main throttle cable and...well, being a novice, I assumed they worked together in the operation of the fuel injection system. I learned something new about my car and my own fledging diagnosing skills. I must say, the Porsche Parts Manual is VERY weak in illustrating this portion of the car.

Well, I still have an issue with my cruise control cable, and I appreciate the photo showing the short arm with the ball on the end to accept the end of the cruise cable. Is this arm spring loaded to keep it in the position shown in the photograph - thus keeping the cable taught?

The arm on the base of the cruise control cable can be moved...but it stays where you stop. It does not snap back into position! Is it supposed to?

I would still like to know if you have to take out a lot of fuel injection tubes and other parts to get back there to reach the base of the cruise control cable, or if there's an easier way back there only the guru's know about?

Thanks,

David Schmidt

Last edited by 964titan; 01-15-2013 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Change a key word

Quick Reply: Need Help How To Reattach The Far End Of The Secondary Throttle Cable of My 1990 964