Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 or 996?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 09:05 AM
jack.pe
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to hate the 996.. but increasingly the looks of well sorted cars are growing on me.. also handling wise they are very good..
The only reason I would never buy one is that the interior feels so CHEAP. Could not spend any time in there.

There's loads of 996s about but I bet within 10 years values of early cars will rise again. Loads are being mistreated right now and numbers will be significantly reduced in a few years... then it might be appreciated for being a little different. But I agree that for me looks wise it is just not a 911. And I too like the overengineered quality of the 964
Old 12-10-2012, 03:02 AM
Tedster
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 152 Posts

The 996 is just the latest in a series of 911 "whipping boys". 356 loyalists hated the first 911 as they said it lacked character. After 1969 and until very recently the early short wheelbase cars were considered unstable and dangerous so their values dropped. Oil leaks were a common problem.

The 1974-1977 cars were considered junk because they had bad head studs and problems with the can chain tensioners. Purists at first also hated their new big impact bumpers but then over time the old long nose cars became old fashioned and their values were in the dumpster.

The 964 was considered a visual disappointment when first released. While Porsche had spent a fortune upgrading the suspension and engine then they wrapped it in a clunky body design that looked too much like the older, less sophisticated Carrera.

When the more sculpted 993 models came out it was just a temporary stopgap while the 996 was being developed. But the 959 inspired styling was such a hit the 964 and older cars were instantly considered an ugly duckling by comparison with an ungainly front bumper.

The 996 first generation was at first hailed for its far swoopier styling than previous cars with its more modern detailing, steeper raked windshield and gently sculpted sides. But it had the same headlights and basically identical front end as the same year Boxsters. The now mocked one-piece headlights were similar to more modern designs like the Ferrari 360, making older round 911 headlights look old fashioned.

When the second gen 996 came out in 2002 with 996 turbo headlights the early 996 models were considered cheaper looking with their Boxster association. The 4S with its turbo inspired looks and amazing handling was considered a big step forward.

The 997.1 with reborn retrograde ovalized headlights, much like the 993, made its immediate predecessor look ungainly and outdated. 991 cars now are even swoopier with a further raked windshield rear end inspired by newer Aston Martins.

My point is that almost every flavor of 911 seems to have its moment in the sun, followed by a period of being out of fashion. Many have had one or more major mechanical problem that was eventually solved by the factory and after market. All eventually will be considered more than run of the mill used cars. Some will have wider appreciation for their looks. Most will not become true high end collector cars but all can give their owners something to be proud of and argue for.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:58 AM
Laguna Seca
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tedster...I have to say...this is one of the most B.S. descriptions of Porsches that I have read in a very long time! There is a HUGE following of Porsche enthusiasts for a reason! Dr. Porsche was a mechanical engineer genius! Precision based! These cars were designed to last for a very long time if properly maintained! As far as being better than "run of the mill cars", how about light years ahead of run of the mill cars and will always be in demand! I don't mean to be argumentative, but it sounds like you might be better off with the Ferrari, Lamborghini, and/or Aston Martin crowd! BTW...the reason we drive 964's and early Carreras is because it takes big ***** to let them loose! Just saying!
Old 12-10-2012, 04:13 AM
brunino
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my 996 and I love driving my air cooled SC. Might be a matter of flipping a coin or if $$ permits- get them both.

Quick Reply: 964 or 996?