Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Has anyone ever backdated a Cabriolet?
Old 10-22-2012, 01:11 AM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by axl911
I loved the backdated look. But I also under if the backdated RS look is a fad just like the 930s look or slant nose look when it came out in the 80s.

When I see an early 911T or E converted to the turbo look, I think I'd rather have the original car back. This makes me wonder 20 years from now when I/someone see a backdated 964 and think I'd rather the original 964 body.
+1, I wonder if a Singer Porsche will be looked at like a Baur e30 BMW in 20 years...

My guess, probably not, since the longhood look has been revered by Porschephiles for 40 years now. The 930S was a flash in the pan style that everyone emulated for a few years before it started looking like the twisted abomination of a 911 that it is (kidding! sorta). I don't think the longhood has ever really been out of style nor ever will. So by extension, I don't think that a backdated 964 will be as bad as a slantnose conversion, since the emulated style is so enduring.

Now the RWB style on the other hand - yeah, give that 10 years or so until the "tuner" fad is dead and those will be a white elephant to try and sell. I even kind of like them but I don't think they're going to age well. (I can envision one of the forum regulars in 2027 making a post "remember when we thought these were cool 15 years ago? This one is for sale on ebay for the third time, and the reserve has been dropped to only $40k...")
Old 10-22-2012, 01:20 AM
philt68
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that's why i think it's more interesting to create something that's an amalgam of everything about porsche you really love, rather than try and recreate a icon like an rs...the problem i have with driving a clone is that everyone will always ask you 'is it real?'...sort of like driving an ac cobra clone...

that's why i'd rather design something that's neither fish nor fowl, but suited to my own personal tastes..porsche has done a lot of good things, design-wise over the last 40 years (and a few not so good things!) so there's a lot to choose from, when you're doing your own thing..
The following users liked this post:
lbpa18 (07-05-2020)
Old 10-22-2012, 01:24 AM
philt68
Advanced

Originally Posted by mozsan
"To look at a longhood, and drive a 964" , that's exactly what I want as well. And it doesn't have to look exactly like a '71. Leave the rocker panels alone, if anything maybe lighten up wit a chrome trim. Just do the front and back, within $10-12 k. Fuchs lookalikes depending on taste and budget. Group project, anybody??
i'm in!
Old 10-22-2012, 01:24 AM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by philt68
the problem i have with driving a clone is that everyone will always ask you 'is it real?'...sort of like driving an ac cobra clone...
I guess I don't know enough people that would even know what a '73 RS is to have that problem. Joe six-pack at the gas station recognizes an AC Cobra as an iconic muscle car that is often copied, but a '73 RS would just be one of them little furrn' sports cars that looks like a frog...
Old 10-22-2012, 01:29 AM
philt68
Advanced

Originally Posted by ChaseN
I guess I don't know enough people that would even know what a '73 RS is to have that problem. Joe six-pack at the gas station recognizes an AC Cobra as an iconic muscle car that is often copied, but a '73 RS would just be one of them little furrn' sports cars that looks like a frog...
fair point...i guess I would know that i was driving a fake, and that would make me nuts!

that's why i like the singer direction, or magnus walker-he's making a thing he likes, with details that he's made up....

i even wonder if 'backdating' is the right term..there are just certain design aspects over the last 30 years or so that stand out to me...

what would YOUR recipe be for your backdated car?
Old 10-22-2012, 01:40 AM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

911ST flares, 911R taillights, 911S front valence. Chrome window trims all around, H4 headlights with chrome trim rings. Green typeface gauges inside, recaro sportster cs seats (not strictly period but sooo comfortable) in a classic stitching pattern. Replace the red nylon door pulls on my rs door panels with black leather pulls. Rothsport short shifter to make the shift ****/lever look more like the old school bare metal ones. Porsche classic navigation radio just because it has the old school 'look' with modern audio guts (dont really care about the actual navigation). Ducktail is a definite Color would probably be silver exterior with a black/brick red interior like my '74 was. Oh and I'd have the classic black 'PORSCHE' block letter sticker along the bottom of the doors. Maybe some rally style Hella lights on the hood.

To take care of the rocker situation, I think if you could just figure out how to get rid of the shark fin look and make one uninterrupted straight side skirt from front to rear it would look fine and be a ton cheaper than trying to weld on old school 911 rockers (or lack thereof more specifically). Sort of the rocker setup the impact bumper cars have.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:48 AM
Babalouie
Burning Brakes

My guess, probably not, since the longhood look has been revered by Porschephiles for 40 years now.
I reckon there was a time, in the early to mid 80s (certainly this was the case in Australia) that longhood was considered a kinda dorky look, and as a result plenty of longhoods were "updated" with impact bumpers and black Fuchs etc.

At some point I think impact bumpers will be seen as cool, however the longhoods will still have value then because they're so rare.

Now the RWB style on the other hand - yeah, give that 10 years or so until the "tuner" fad is dead and those will be a white elephant to try and sell. I even kind of like them but I don't think they're going to age well. (I can envision one of the forum regulars in 2027 making a post "remember when we thought these were cool 15 years ago? This one is for sale on ebay for the third time, and the reserve has been dropped to only $40k...")
I reckon a good parallel for RWB cars in 20yrs time would be things like Gemballa flatnoses etc that were built in the 80s. So white interiors, testarossa strakes down the side...things that are "of the moment" will always have nostalgia value, but as time goes on it will be to a smaller audience.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:41 AM
racemor
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 45 Posts

I for one like the idea of having a longhood car with 964 guts. If I had the money or the time I'd take the project on. After playing around with my garage queen '74 and getting familiar with the 'old car' feeling, I realized I want to look at a longhood, and drive a 964.

A C4 conversion would be particularly enticing to me. An all weather all-wheel drive 3.6l 5-speed longhood.
Hey Chase, I think you hit on the key here. People need to have a clear goal of what they want from the car, same as any other project. If it were me, I'd want more than just the look of an early car. I would also want the feel of the lighter, more mechanical, less assisted 911 so I'd prefer to start with an SC or 3.2 Carrera as the basis of a back date. Then add the upgraded a/c systems, stealth radio, etc. Then again, I'm just more focused on the "period correct" type of mods anyway.

But I've got to say, the gray car Udo posted is beautiful. As it's been mentioned before, when they are done right it can be a great combination of old and new.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:09 PM
philt68
Advanced

Originally Posted by racemor
Hey Chase, I think you hit on the key here. People need to have a clear goal of what they want from the car, same as any other project. If it were me, I'd want more than just the look of an early car. I would also want the feel of the lighter, more mechanical, less assisted 911 so I'd prefer to start with an SC or 3.2 Carrera as the basis of a back date. Then add the upgraded a/c systems, stealth radio, etc. Then again, I'm just more focused on the "period correct" type of mods anyway.

But I've got to say, the gray car Udo posted is beautiful. As it's been mentioned before, when they are done right it can be a great combination of old and new.
Why an sc? Just because it's easier to backdate? Who makes the best kits for backdating a 964 (which incidentally is what singer uses!)
Old 10-22-2012, 05:11 PM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

Why an sc? Just because it's easier to backdate? Who makes the best kits for backdating a 964 (which incidentally is what singer uses!)
Wait, you're saying you know where Singer gets their body kits? Do tell
Old 10-22-2012, 05:19 PM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by racemor
I know what you mean, sounds like you would almost do what the muscle car guys call a "restomod" - old car look feeling & sound with some modern comfort & performance touches. I really want a Longhood C4 now thinking more about it. Time to go buy a lotto ticket I guess
Old 10-22-2012, 05:28 PM
kylejohnston1
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

+1, RWB = the next Gemballa IMHO

Old 10-22-2012, 05:37 PM
racemor
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 45 Posts

I'm saying SC or Carrera because my ideal backdate would not need many of the features that come along with a 964 chassis (power steering, ABS, air bags, OBD systems, etc.). But this is just my list of wants, I can see that most of the people on this thread have other ideas and I respect that. That's the great thing about hot rodding Porsches, lots of different directions to go.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:40 PM
mf_rsr
Pro

I don't have evo magazine to hand but the carbon panel manufacturer is detailed there in this months copy iirc.

Quick Reply: Longhood Friday: 964 backdates and other retro ideas