Sponsored by:

Longhood Friday: 964 backdates and other retro ideas

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 03:49 AM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by racemor
Not to try and rain on your parade, but...

Having had both a '73 and a '92 now, I've kind of decided that backdating a 964 is not a good idea. They are two different animals that are hard to merge successfully. Yes, you end up with a car that looks like an early 911 with the conveniences we've gotten used to. But you'll never be able to recreate the feel of those lighter, high-reving, torsion bar cars. My '92 is a ton of fun - loud, fast, hooligan fun with thumping torque and wide-wheeled grip. But it can also be a comfortable drive when needed. Sort of a velvet sledge hammer.

But to get the real Early 911 feel, the car's got a have the scream of high revs, the smell of that non-cat mfi (or carb) motor, softer torsion bar bounce to the ride, the old dash look, "two window" ventilation, etc. Best to find a roller or rough early car that you can play with and make your own. Especially if the R Gruppe aesthetic is what you are after.
I think the whole point is to have the look of the early cars without the 'feel'. Not that the early car 'feel' is bad, per se, but it isn't really conducive to a car you want to drive daily in all sorts of inclement weather, daily commutes, etc. I can see backdating a 964 when you want the look of the early cars with modern performance, reliability, usability, etc. Not everyone necessarily wants or can afford an early car (especially if a 964 is their ONE car, or at least their one play car). But they sure do look nice.

Understand that I am not anti-modifying our more modern cars, I've got a stack of parts in the garage myself waiting to be put onto mine. But I think we need to expand on the heritage of what we have in the 964. Whether it is aiming for the Euro RS, 964 Cup or something wilder like a 3.8 RSR or RWB. The cars in your post I quoted here are more the direction I'd like to see the hot rod 964 crowd move toward.

Just my $.02. Other opinions may (and will) vary.
RS, Cup, etc., the hot rod 964 crowd has been there since 1992, and frankly its getting played out as a style (my own RS wannabe-but-never-will car included). Look all over this forum and you'll find them. RWB is cool but I wouldn't cut my 964 up to do it. I think the backdate thing is cool, but I'd like to see it done right by someone other than Singer and PS Autoart for 6 figure money.

I for one like the idea of having a longhood car with 964 guts. If I had the money or the time I'd take the project on. After playing around with my garage queen '74 and getting familiar with the 'old car' feeling, I realized I want to look at a longhood, and drive a 964.

A C4 conversion would be particularly enticing to me. An all weather all-wheel drive 3.6l 5-speed longhood.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:56 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

looking classy

Old 10-19-2012, 02:57 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Love it in orange too. Very nice Singer-type mirror!

Old 10-19-2012, 04:08 PM
Series 900
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Series900 >1994 to 1986 C4 backdate

factory made 3? I made one.
Attached Images  
Old 10-19-2012, 04:59 PM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

This is a nice backdate build http://911sporttouring.com/index.html
Attached Images  
Old 10-19-2012, 05:44 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was JUST having this same conversation with Steve W. earlier today. Watching the Magnus Walker show really makes me think about creativity and these cars. It's a little like Jazz... there are major themes and standards we all bear in mind, but we're free to riff on a theme and be creative.

Backdating is super cool.. and I love some of the results. To me, adding chrome and 'simplifying' the bulk of our cars is a great look... and I respect each one as the outcome of creativity and personality.

Singer does an amazing job hitting the 'vintage' theme visually with details, but his cars seem fully modern at the same time.

RAUH-WELT cars fascinate me as they do something with the iconic shape, while being a cool mix of "American" with a Japanese lens. REALLY intriguing.

Magnus seems to do the long-hood thing really well... those are long-hoods-at-birth cars...

BUT - what can we do that's unique to the era that the 964 was born into? I am not a big fan necessarily of the plastic, black-chrome and air-dam generation. It hasn't yet become cool again... but I challenge you all to think about what's unique visually about our cars.... What is about the 964 generation in particular that we can emphasize creatively - without resorting necessarily to the standard backdating vibe (cool as it is)...?

The closest thing I can think of is the RAUH-WELT... but they're kind of classically Japanese too. What is it about the 964 in America that might be a cool idea?

I am just trolling for ideas here... I'd love to better capture the specific 964 vibe... but what IS it?
Attached Images     
Old 10-19-2012, 10:09 PM
MrNvgtr
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tbennett017
BUT - what can we do that's unique to the era that the 964 was born into? I am not a big fan necessarily of the plastic, black-chrome and air-dam generation. It hasn't yet become cool again... but I challenge you all to think about what's unique visually about our cars.... What is about the 964 generation in particular that we can emphasize creatively - without resorting necessarily to the standard backdating vibe (cool as it is)...?

The closest thing I can think of is the RAUH-WELT... but they're kind of classically Japanese too. What is it about the 964 in America that might be a cool idea?

I am just trolling for ideas here... I'd love to better capture the specific 964 vibe... but what IS it?
Just some quick thoughts...

One design element that stands out to me about the 964 is the cleaned up rocker trim and front bumper area. These two areas make the 964 very "stance" friendly, IMO. Now, I'm not a big fan of pure stance (all show and no go), but stance to a point mixed with performance, which seems to be a common thread with most of my favorite 964s out there. On a similar note, of all the hot 911 models of each generation, I think it's the RS/RSA/Clubsport, for the narrow bodied 964s at least, that most woo after, from not just the exterior, but interior package as well. Finally, it's not really much of a visual feature, but the 3.6L motor is the hotrod motor that's sought after for engine swaps.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:54 PM
mozsan
Advanced

"To look at a longhood, and drive a 964" , that's exactly what I want as well. And it doesn't have to look exactly like a '71. Leave the rocker panels alone, if anything maybe lighten up wit a chrome trim. Just do the front and back, within $10-12 k. Fuchs lookalikes depending on taste and budget. Group project, anybody??
Old 10-20-2012, 06:16 PM
Cosmos99
Pro

Name:  duckweb.jpg
Views: 4940
Size:  81.9 KB

Here's how mine used to look
Old 10-20-2012, 06:17 PM
Cosmos99
Pro

Name:  duckweb2.jpg
Views: 4943
Size:  71.4 KB

another angle.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:31 PM
philt68
Advanced

i've been thinking about backdating a 87-89 car for a while, but since i've gotten my rsa, i thought i'd forgotten about it, but i haven't....

the problem with the 964, design-wise, is the front and rear bumper-especially the front bumper, is just to much of a ledge-that's what singer does so well-he just refines the design...thins out the front bumper, some nice rear flairs-it's the IDEA of an early porsche, rather than trying to recreate one....

personally, i've been obsessing with the IDEA of a rally car, but one that porsche never made-sort of an amalgam of an early r-gruppe car, a singer car, and a rothman's rally car...
Old 10-20-2012, 11:50 PM
philt68
Advanced

Originally Posted by SuperUser
This is a nice backdate build http://911sporttouring.com/index.html
this one is pretty much perfect!

i'm guessing a HUGE amount of money...
Old 10-21-2012, 03:16 AM
g60pops
Burning Brakes

some seriously nice backdates in this thread
Old 10-21-2012, 09:06 PM
Black930
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Loving this thread
Old 10-21-2012, 10:14 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I loved the backdated look. But I also under if the backdated RS look is a fad just like the 930s look or slant nose look when it came out in the 80s.

When I see an early 911T or E converted to the turbo look, I think I'd rather have the original car back. This makes me wonder 20 years from now when I/someone see a backdated 964 and think I'd rather the original 964 body.

Quick Reply: Longhood Friday: 964 backdates and other retro ideas