Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Longhood Friday: 964 backdates and other retro ideas

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 10:35 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Ventilation removed, still has stock lights and bumper supports and fender liners, 5gallons of gas. Haven't attacked the wiring yet, soundproofing is gone but the undercoating remains. Remote canister JRZs RS swaybars, monoballs, the cage is robust, goes through the rear bulkhead and ties the the rails and shock mounts. Rennsport floorboards and rothsport billet shifter. 8.5 k 10" 18" BBS RS with R7s

The tough thing is it came out so nice I'm having second thoughts about running it as a racecar or street hot rod. I have a set of leather PP and all the RS street parts to choose from. The tail comes off the ducktail base, I made side plates for it to finish it off...

This light with this spring rate 900/1100 it feels like the cup car, and goes like stink....
Attached Images  
Old 11-19-2015, 11:12 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,169 Posts

Originally Posted by J richard

The tough thing is it came out so nice I'm having second thoughts about running it as a racecar or street hot rod. I have a set of leather PP and all the RS street parts to choose from. The tail comes off the ducktail base, I made side plates for it to finish it off...

This light with this spring rate 900/1100 it feels like the cup car, and goes like stink....
Ha ha sounds like what I did but I decided it was built as a track car so it shall stay as one. Can't drive my cars on the street without being harassed to sell so might as well drive it on the track the way it was supposed to be driven.

Those spring rates are serious for such a light car. I can't imagine driving that on the street, the deflection from bumps would probably make it unstable.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:25 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Yep, I have a set of 700/900 which is what I will ultimately run, I had thes on the shocks during the build and after driving it was surprised how well they were working so thought I'd give it a go.

I have two other race cars, and this started life as my pristine street RSA that was stolen and chopped, it was a lot of just giving the thing a second life....
Attached Images  
Old 11-19-2015, 11:52 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by J richard
Yep, I have a set of 700/900 which is what I will ultimately run, I had thes on the shocks during the build and after driving it was surprised how well they were working so thought I'd give it a go.

I have two other race cars, and this started life as my pristine street RSA that was stolen and chopped, it was a lot of just giving the thing a second life....
I remember that story. Sad what they did to it and you. Nice to see it live again.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:50 AM
Captain Ahab Jr.
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You guys must be doing it al wrong to make your cars so heavy

Won't comment on other build weights as I don't know what has been done and what quantity of fluids were included when weighing

My build which so far is me just having fun, when and as time allows. As of today I estimate I can get down to around 1075kg/2365lbs with the only lightweight part help coming from wheels, Cup pipe, sun roof delete panel and CAT straight through pipe. All other weight loss is just from parts removed and all parts on the car are the original parts minus a few small brackets here and there.

It'll all get serious with using lightweight parts at a weight where most people finish their lightweight mods. Where I end up should be very lightweight and I'll post up every single gram of weight removed and weight added so there won't be any doubting the numbers.

I'll admit to some previous form on taking weight out of cars but this is a real learning experience for me as it the first time I can feel the difference it makes. I've only started but the diffeence in the way the car feels is massive.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:11 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Captain Ahab Jr.
You guys must be doing it al wrong to make your cars so heavy

Won't comment on other build weights as I don't know what has been done and what quantity of fluids were included when weighing

My build which so far is me just having fun, when and as time allows. As of today I estimate I can get down to around 1075kg/2365lbs with the only lightweight part help coming from wheels, Cup pipe, sun roof delete panel and CAT straight through pipe. All other weight loss is just from parts removed and all parts on the car are the original parts minus a few small brackets here and there.

It'll all get serious with using lightweight parts at a weight where most people finish their lightweight mods. Where I end up should be very lightweight and I'll post up every single gram of weight removed and weight added so there won't be any doubting the numbers.

I'll admit to some previous form on taking weight out of cars but this is a real learning experience for me as it the first time I can feel the difference it makes. I've only started but the diffeence in the way the car feels is massive.
If you don't add a cage I can see your point but installing a full cage that is race legal using the proper piping will add over 100 pounds to a car. So if you add that to your build you are looking at 2470 possibly more which makes more sense. As I said i also did not consider the added weight of the turbo system and IC. Also some post weights with 0 gallons, 5 gallons and 10 gallons of gas which makes a big difference. I always weigh my car with at least 10 gallons.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:52 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't forget that factory rust protection & paint add up too - acid dipping or pyrolysis oven burns off all that & then you have option on how to coat & with what/how much for max lightness. Then there is all the wiring as already mentioned (think captain has weights on those in his thread) as well as lightweight light clusters & housing. Some savings in tyres too!
Old 11-22-2015, 02:34 PM
Captain Ahab Jr.
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
If you don't add a cage I can see your point but installing a full cage that is race legal using the proper piping will add over 100 pounds to a car. So if you add that to your build you are looking at 2470 possibly more which makes more sense. As I said i also did not consider the added weight of the turbo system and IC. Also some post weights with 0 gallons, 5 gallons and 10 gallons of gas which makes a big difference. I always weigh my car with at least 10 gallons.
75lbs abouts if you use proper T45 roll cage (6 point with door bars) tubing not the heavier CDS stuff most cages are made from

Agree the fuel amount can flatter a cars weight, maximum spread from 0 to 10 gallons using US gallons is 62.5lbs, not a big difference when weighing a car in multiples of a 1000lbs.

There is so much weight to come out of a 964, all comes down to how much attention to detail you look at when trying to find it. You don't need a Rob Linton sized budget to get below 1000kgs you just need to look a bit further than the usual stuff people change.

If I had to guess where people struggle is they look at all the big ticket weights and ignore all the small stuff. All the small stuff adds up to big numbers.
Old 11-22-2015, 04:50 PM
Gt3stig
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 11-23-2015, 01:42 PM
speednme
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Gt3stig

Man I'm digging this car. Two photos...no bueno! need some details...
Old 11-23-2015, 03:18 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

It's the Mark Arcenal (Fatlace guy) C4. It use to be black narrow body with bronze Volk TE-37s, then it was one of the first stateside RWBs, bright green, called "Pandora One", now it's that longhood style.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:26 PM
speednme
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Vandit
It's the Mark Arcenal (Fatlace guy) C4. It use to be black narrow body with bronze Volk TE-37s, then it was one of the first stateside RWBs, bright green, called "Pandora One", now it's that longhood style.
Looks great in the photos. Would love to see the quality of the build up close. Do you know what kind of engine/power does it make? It really is very unique. A complete package of goodies.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:50 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Captain Ahab Jr.
75lbs abouts if you use proper T45 roll cage (6 point with door bars) tubing not the heavier CDS stuff most cages are made from

Agree the fuel amount can flatter a cars weight, maximum spread from 0 to 10 gallons using US gallons is 62.5lbs, not a big difference when weighing a car in multiples of a 1000lbs.

There is so much weight to come out of a 964, all comes down to how much attention to detail you look at when trying to find it. You don't need a Rob Linton sized budget to get below 1000kgs you just need to look a bit further than the usual stuff people change.

If I had to guess where people struggle is they look at all the big ticket weights and ignore all the small stuff. All the small stuff adds up to big numbers.
I hear you on the small stuff. I ground off every tab and unnecessary item inside and out. No ventilation even removed the tubes from the front to the rear along with the flanges. No sunroof full cage but added extra bars for my wife's safety. Light weight Fikse wheels. Gutted the doors so only the shell and impact bar remain. Plexi side windows. Aluminum rotor hats. All sound deadening, air bag system any extra harnesses, spare and extras removed etc. Lightweight seats.

I retained the front and rear glass, Wipers, Standard aero mirrors and went full metal body. The savings to go to CF was only worth it IMO for the front hood but was not in the budget. The fenders didn't gain me enough maybe 12 pounds between the two tops.

I weighed the extra materials my wife wanted and in all I can account for 140 pounds of added weight including the clear bra. I have a light weight battery going in but other than removing the bumper supports which is considerable and IMO foolish what else can I remove? I have no interest in CF parts and unless you build it up with heavy primer it will eventually show the weave through which doesn't look good IMO how do you get down more.

So if I subtract the 140 pounds of added unnecessary materials. another 100 pounds for the turbo and IC. That puts me at 2530 with 10 gallons of gas. Other than going with full CF panels, hood roof etc. I am not sure I could ever get the car close to 2200.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:01 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by speednme
Looks great in the photos. Would love to see the quality of the build up close. Do you know what kind of engine/power does it make? It really is very unique. A complete package of goodies.
It use to have a 400hp turbo motor with a big intercooler. I don't think he runs that setup anymore since the big intercooler wouldn't fit under the ducktail spoiler.

http://www.speedhunters.com/2011/11/...t_rwb_porsche/
Old 11-24-2015, 07:06 AM
baldy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love the colour and some of the details, just not sold on the whole RWB thing I must admit.

But each to their own, and 'vive le difference'

Quick Reply: Longhood Friday: 964 backdates and other retro ideas