Sponsored by:

Replacing rear spoiler motor

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 06:19 AM
964TOK
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replacing rear spoiler motor

I noticed recently that when the rear spoiler went up/back down again was starting to make a noise (that I could hear from inside the car). I should have oiled/lubricated it but didn't.

The spoiler will now not go up and I have the warning light on when I go over the speed where it is activated to raise.

I believe the issue is the rear spoiler motor - and this is where the noise was coming from.

Question: If I pick up a new motor, is it easy enough to change myself?

Thanks
Derek
Old 09-28-2012, 06:37 AM
Vic_S
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Swapping out the motor is easy...but to get rid of the noise, you will need to replace the gearbox or carry out the (easy) DIY below.

http://p-car.com/diy/spoilerdrive/

Your motor might still be ok...so test if it runs with the drive cable disconnected (using the dashboard switch).
Old 09-28-2012, 07:24 AM
964TOK
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent - thanks Vic.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:28 PM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 375 Likes on 237 Posts

Here's my spoiler bearing replace DIY as well.
Cheers,
Tore
Old 02-26-2014, 12:20 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by ToreB
Here's my spoiler bearing replace DIY as well.
Cheers,
Tore
That link seems to be broken now Tore, do you have an updated link by any chance?

Also, Araldite is hard to get in the States will any epoxy outdoor for plastics do?

What type of tube is used to force the bearing back on and what type of grease do you use?

Thks

G.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:26 PM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 375 Likes on 237 Posts

gmorat, thank you for noting the dead link, here's a fresh one: http://www.bergvillfx.com/spoilerrepair.html
Any two-component epoxy will do, but I would recommend the slow hardened type, they are the strongest. There's quite some force in the plastic enclosure when the spoiler operates, and Cyanoacrylate super glue will not stand up to this.

I had a small piece of brass tube lying around, any metal tube would do. Good luck in your endeavours, it's really satisfying to hear the smooth sound of a fixed spoiler mechanism.
Cheers,
Tore
Old 02-26-2014, 10:09 PM
tv90C4
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A word on the "quick" repair

I was able to find a replacement transmission on the Pelican used parts area and replaced the old one (cable was broken) in about 10 minutes.

My intention was to try to fix the old transmission if possible by fashioning a new cable and tried taking it apart as ToreB has documented.

From the pictures in Tore's repair, I was expecting a plastic casing around the gears that could be easily separated using the kind of utility knife pictured. It wasn't the case for me.

The casing around the gears in my transmission is more like vulcanized rubber with no defined seam to cut into. The utility knife in my case was useless. The only way it's coming apart is with a Dremel after which I am not sure if it will go back together very easily. At this point the whole thing is still on my workbench.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:42 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by ToreB
Awesome help. I fixed mine last week.

...it's really satisfying to hear the smooth sound of a fixed spoiler mechanism.
Yes it is! My bearing had rusted and fallen apart; so the worm screw was no longer correctly seated and therefore couldn't spin the gear that raises the grill. It's been years since it's been this quiet.

Also Lakers spoiler curtain thread was very helpful too. For the first time since I've owned the car, the spoiler wall is complete and correctly fitted.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=660439&referrerid=19642

BTW, the car doesn't feel quite as stable deep into third gear without the wing up... big respect for anyone racing a tail-less longhood hod rod.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:14 PM
RBP
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just thought I'd add to the thread here. Needed to fix or replace my spoiler transmission so figured I got nothing to lose by giving it a try. Everything went as per the DIY till I had the part on the bench. There was no way the part was coming apart. I spent lots of time cutting all around and trying to pry it up with a sharp screw driver. No way was the thing going to separate. In the end I had to keep cutting till it came apart but ended up cutting through the guide slot. So in the end I have to spring for a new one anyway.

Had it come apart I could have fixed it though. There was a lot of rust and crud in there and the bearing didn't look too bad. Likely could have packed the bearing with grease and been good to go.

Quick Reply: Replacing rear spoiler motor