Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

annoying problems after not driving for 3 months

Old 09-25-2012, 02:39 PM
m3vs911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default annoying problems after not driving for 3 months

I've left my 964 outside the house for holiday over the summer cuz the garage is full of stuff that I can't fit the car in.

when I come back yesterday , i recharged the battery and the car runs perfect.
However, I found 2 electrical bit are not working...

1) the driver's side windows doesn't work. I've checked the fuse and the switch buttons. they are fine. Should I take off the door card and check? worth the time?

2) the driver's power seat cannot move upward, it is ok to tilt , and going down (but not able to go up!!)

and the paint has gone matt probably under the sun,I heard T-cut it can bring the shiny back.

please advise and cheers!
Old 09-25-2012, 03:18 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

Welcome to Rennlist. Did anyone mention that we like to see photos of cars from new members?

As for the driver's side window. Does the passenger window work? Try swapping the two window switches in the driver's door to see if that make's a difference. If the passenger side works via the driver door window switch, then your fuse is ok. The next step is to pull the door card and check that the motor is getting power. I suspect your fault is the window switch. If its the switch, see this repair thread. https://rennlist.com/forums/964-1989...nd-0-amen.html

The power seat switches have their limitations. I replaced one of mine before I learned you can repair them. https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...lace-them.html
Old 09-25-2012, 06:16 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

sometimes the motor will stick. Tapping on it with a hammer will sometimes loosen it up after checking the switches first of course.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:21 PM
m3vs911
Instructor

Originally Posted by jimq
sometimes the motor will stick. Tapping on it with a hammer will sometimes loosen it up after checking the switches first of course.
do u mean i need to take out the door card and hammer it ?
Old 09-25-2012, 08:21 PM
Babalouie
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had this happen to cars which I've had stored for a few years. What happens is that dust, condensation (and hence) corrosion build up on the switch contact surfaces while it lays unused.

I've had some luck by removing the offending switches, then spraying them with contact cleaner while I work the switch back and forth. The window switches are removable, but I dunno about the seat switch tho (you might have some luck in simply working the switch back and forth to try to make a clean spot on the contacts)
Old 09-25-2012, 08:49 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by m3vs911
do u mean i need to take out the door card and hammer it ?
yes but not hard. The motor can stick if not used for a long time.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:19 AM
m3vs911
Instructor

Originally Posted by Babalouie
I've had this happen to cars which I've had stored for a few years. What happens is that dust, condensation (and hence) corrosion build up on the switch contact surfaces while it lays unused.

I've had some luck by removing the offending switches, then spraying them with contact cleaner while I work the switch back and forth. The window switches are removable, but I dunno about the seat switch tho (you might have some luck in simply working the switch back and forth to try to make a clean spot on the contacts)
i've tried to put the working switch and connect it to the driver's windows but still doesn't work. so is that mean the switch itself is fine ?
Old 09-26-2012, 06:20 AM
m3vs911
Instructor

Originally Posted by jimq
yes but not hard. The motor can stick if not used for a long time.
ok. i would like to try that. any tricks when taking the door card out ?
thanks !
Old 09-26-2012, 07:49 AM
Babalouie
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by m3vs911
i've tried to put the working switch and connect it to the driver's windows but still doesn't work. so is that mean the switch itself is fine ?
Ah, in that case it isn't the switch at fault. Instructions in door card removal here

https://rennlist.com/forums/9114068-post104.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: annoying problems after not driving for 3 months