Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   964 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum-59/)
-   -   964 C2 vs. 964 3.6 Turbo (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/717143-964-c2-vs-964-3-6-turbo.html)

laxen 09-16-2012 04:41 PM

964 C2 vs. 964 3.6 Turbo

Fellow rennlisters,

I need some advice regarding 964 C2 vs. 964 3.6 Turbo:

I own a 964 C2 with upgraded chassi (H&R kit) which I love to drive. I use my C2 as weekend warrior with a mix of (mostly) street driving, autocross and, lately, tracking. Yet, there is one thing I sometimes miss, especially during street driving, and thats simply more POWER.
I have considered getting 964 3.6 Turbo for some time, mainly because of the turbo-charged 3.6 unit, which I expect has more grunt at lover revs and less turbo lag compared to the 3.3T (have only driven the 3.3T so far). Moreover, the 3.6T has Big reds and improved suspension from factory (ROW version)?
Yet, it seems that most people recommend NA 964 rather than the 3.6T for tracking?
What are your thoughts on this?
I guess the optimal would be to own one of each, but this is not an option for me..

/Rikard

Turbo Jonny 09-19-2012 03:39 PM

3.6t is sadly becoming a high price collectors car. Same results you are looking for can be had
with a modified C2 or 3.3 t for much cheaper. I prefer to track my c2 . The 3.6 was too much worry for me
especially in the wet , but i live in rainy old UK where fuel to track a turbo is outrageous cost.

laxen 09-19-2012 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo Jonny (Post 9854029)
3.6t is sadly becoming a high price collectors car. Same results you are looking for can be had
with a modified C2 or 3.3 t for much cheaper. I prefer to track my c2 . The 3.6 was too much worry for me
especially in the wet , but i live in rainy old UK where fuel to track a turbo is outrageous cost.

Yes 3.6Ts are generally much more expensive than 3.3Ts. Yet, I might be able to get a relatively high-milage 3.6T for reasonable money... Jonny: it would be interesting to hear you elaborate more on your experience driving the C2 and 3.6T "back-to-back" on the track? Does the Turbo feel heavy? How do you experience the turbo-lag? How much more fuel does the turbo consume during tracking? Is the 3.6T stock good for track or do you need any particular mods/upgrades to make it more fun to drive.

Bonnejonne 09-19-2012 08:00 PM

Hi Rikard,
Before you buy a 3,6T I would recommend you to install a Hotfilm-kit (MAF) on your C2.
I have recently done just that and I am really pleased with the extra performance. It really changes the character of the car.
But you can't look around the fact that the 964 3,6 Turbo is one off the most bad ass Porsches off all time. It's just a shame that they are starting to become real collectors items with prices starting at 70,000€.

Frank 993 C4S 09-19-2012 10:38 PM

I've had both cars until recently and can tell you that the C2 will make a more fun track car. Don't get me wrong, there are some heavily modified 3.6 turbos that have been converted into track monsters, but the C2 will always be more nimble and agile.

On the street, it's a different story in that the 3.6T will simply be in a different world from the C2. As long as you can wait for the car to rev up to 3500 rpms (yes, there is turbo lag even with headers), the power delivery can only be described as explosive :).

springer3 09-20-2012 02:03 PM

I have driven a 3.3T a couple of times. The extra power is incredible, but I would quickly lose my driving priveleges if I owned a turbo. My stock C2 feels "torquier" in the low-RPM range where we do most of our street driving.