Fuel Smell - Fuel Filler Neck Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 01:05 AM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Fuel Smell - Fuel Filler Neck Question

I have just started to get the fuel smell from the frunk. I can smell it after a speedy off-ramp from the highway, but other than that there is just a faint smell from the fuel filler area in the frunk. I can't find any fuel smell elsewhere in the trunk, but want to nip it in the bud, so will probably replace the fuel filler neck and get a new cap.

But, my question is what happens with the filler neck that causes the vapors/smells to get into the frunk? All the hoses look in good condition and are tight enough, so I just don't understand how replacing the neck is fixing this?

Thanks,

-Skip
Old 07-18-2012, 01:10 AM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know but the parts has been superceded 8 times so there is some issue with it. I have heard everything from seams splitting to the metal thread insert coming loose so the cap doesn't seal.

I have replace mine and still have fuel smell in the frunk. replaced all the hoses, ck valve, gasket on the sender unit, tightened all the clamps repeatedly replace the expansion tank. The only thing I haven't done is pull the tank all the way out and replace the screen seal in the bottom.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:40 AM
993James993
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Before spending the $100 or so that the filler neck will cost, just inspect it for any visible leaks. If you can't find any it is likely fine. There was a TSB that covered this issue. You can find it on pcarworkshop.com courtesy of Rennlister Geolab. PM me if you can't find it and I will send you the link.

I recently had the car in the shop at the dealership due to an alarm issue and while there had them inspect the gas tank, filler neck, aux tank, etc. No obvious cause of the fuel smell was determined. The service advisor told me that these cars are getting old and that this is to be expected as the tank is plastic. I can attest that the carpet tends to soak up this smell and then the trunk will have that odor.

Previously I replaced the rubber seal around the gas cap and that seemed to help. Not sure why as the filler cap is outside the trunk.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:48 AM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could be a neck if you replace the seal and it helped. It has something to do with the way it seals on the neck and vents back into the tank, which is why it's been updated so many times.

Other than being significantly redesigned can couldn't tell if the old one was bad or not. I even pulled the neck out, put the cap on turned it upside down filled it with water, tried compressed air, but couldn't verify a leak.

I doubt it's the tank they don't have a history of being a problem.

Yes, it only takes a few drops of fuel, even just some venting to make a big stink.

It's one of my unsolved mysteries.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:03 AM
CBR786
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find it is usually the sender unit the big White plastic nut needs to be on correctly and the rubber gasket o ring behind can sometimes be damaged causing a improper seal. My 2 cents I would check that first with a big adjustable wrench torque nib up the bug White nut gently applying sensible pressure lol
Old 07-18-2012, 08:03 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

All the hoses get flaccid due to constant exposure to fuel or fuel vapor. I've replaced every hose: filler hose, vent hose, all the hoses on the expansion tank and the rollover valve hose that runs down to the vapor line under the car.
The fuel smell has been dramatically reduced but not completely eradicated.
Next on the list is the sender o-ring. If that doesn't take care of it I'll have to start looking at the expansion tank itself.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:57 AM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

All,

Great information.

James - My fuel cap is quite old and showing signs of the age, so am going to replace it and hope that helps with the smell. Like you, I can't understand how the cap would affect an inside the trunk smell. I have poked around the neck area and can't see any signs of leaking, but will take a closer look next time I fill up the tank to see if that is when it is leaking.

Thanks all,

-Skip
Old 07-18-2012, 10:04 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

I replaced my filler cap - it helped - but I still have the same as you when driving the car fast - a hard right hand turn and I get alot of vapors to break in...

So I'll be interested if there is a solution - cuz so far I have no leaks and all works fine...except that I have some smell to deal with...
Old 07-18-2012, 12:20 PM
jzc28
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default got lucky

two years ago gas smell in trunk and cabin - took car to independent emissions tester - used gas vapor "sniffer" to locate leak source - vent line under driver's side door had rotted out - line replaced, problem solved
Old 07-18-2012, 02:01 PM
jcs_911
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

I had the same issues on the track in right hand turns. Fuel would slosh left and I could see residue around the fuel filler neck after a session. I read that the original design of the neck was not too strong, and that resting the refueling nozzle at the gas station against the opening of the neck caused it to warp out of shape, over time. So I replaced the neck and got a new cap. Smell is gone, no fuel sloshing out of the neck in right hand turns. It's been like that for at least 10 years now.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:12 PM
Guy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 316 Likes on 178 Posts

I actually have this problem as well. It eventually developed into a "leak" of sorts around the sender. When the tank is full. The sender area gets slightly moist. I replaced the seal, but it didn't make a difference. In my novice opinion, it looks like the plastic gas tank as deformed slightly, causing a poor seal. Anyone else experience this? 85k on my 98
Old 07-21-2012, 07:57 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

I finally got around to replacing the sender o-ring two nights ago.
Been shutting the trunk overnight and opening it in the morning to have a sniff.
I can no longer smell fuel fumes.
To recap, I replaced the filler neck and every rubber line on the fuel tank: (1) filler hose (2) vent hose (3) two hoses between the expansion tank and fuel tank (4) two rollover valve hoses.
I am now declaring victory and pulling out
Old 07-21-2012, 11:08 AM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
I finally got around to replacing the sender o-ring two nights ago.
Been shutting the trunk overnight and opening it in the morning to have a sniff.
I can no longer smell fuel fumes.
To recap, I replaced the filler neck and every rubber line on the fuel tank: (1) filler hose (2) vent hose (3) two hoses between the expansion tank and fuel tank (4) two rollover valve hoses.
I am now declaring victory and pulling out
Did you use OEM hoses?
Old 07-21-2012, 05:48 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SuperUser
Did you use OEM hoses?
All of the formed hoses (filler and vent) have to be OE. The rest were vapor -resistant stock procured from BAT and Summit Racing.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:59 PM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Metal Guru,

That is great news, the OEM prices on a few of those hoses are $$$. Can you list the hose sizes you purchased?

I have already replace the filler neck, gas cap, removed the carpet, and checked the fuel pump fittings under the car. My car does not smell out side at all, but the trunk smells very bad and if I park the car with the windows closed the inside smells.

Quick Reply: Fuel Smell - Fuel Filler Neck Question