Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 03:13 AM
Litew8
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to get out of a speeding ticket

HOW TO GET OUT OF A SPEEDING TICKET

First let's set the scene.

Two weeks ago you reread an article in the news regarding the drug corridor between LA and Chicago. The mid point is Albuquerque, NM.
So it's midday on the interstate east of Des Moines, IA.
You are tired from the previous 1100
miles since ABQ and need a refresher, adrenaline.
Having followed a minivan with government plates for the last forty minutes doing 80, it's time to wake up. Road is clear and you downshift to third from fifth and work back up through the gears and settle in at 130. Remembering that any faster and you will be double the speed limit and an immediate inmate. Feels good but there is traffic ahead so you bring her back down to a crawling 82 but "with traffic". Soon you see an Iowa State Trooper in the median as you pass. Then about two miles ahead, another. Your windows are down and he rubber necks when you breeze by at 72. Suddenly they are both behind you, real close, but no lights for about a mile. Then they pull you over, ask how your day is going, observing the assault rifle case in the back seat and request you roll up the passenger window half way for a reading from their nervously attached "tint meter". As suspected it reads just lower than the legal minimum limit though he quickly removes it, asks for your usual documents and invites you to come sit in his cruiser as the other Trooper begins to interrogate your passenger. He indicates an off duty Trooper has contacted him due to a car matching your description has just "blown his doors off" as it passed him. He claims the speed was around 90. Now he is settling in to watch you squirm as you attempt to wriggle your way out of this predicament.
Little does he knows that hours before leaving ABQ you googled, "Do you know why I stopped you?" to determine the best way to beat a speeding ticket. The overwhelming response (95%) was to admit the guilt. SO YOU DO. Then he asks you in one more attempt to watch you squirm, why? You respond that you have no legitimate excuse. You then see his demeanor deflate and he hands you a warning for the tint and tells you to have a good day.
When you depart the scene your passenger paints the picture for you of what just happened. You were progressing at a high rate of speed in a Porsche with New Mexico plates, a rifle in the back seat and two bullet hole decals on the rear bumper and a suitcase visible in the rear seat, and just west of Chicago. You have all the makings of a drug dealer. But you gave up your rights and opened the door for a search when admitting your guilt and were at the mercy of The Man. And by promising to the Trooper you "will not speed again while in his State", you avoid a high speed collision with the deer that is waiting for you on the same highway upon your return to your original destination.
Proving honesty is the best policy. In this circumstance.

Last edited by Litew8; 07-15-2012 at 03:52 AM.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:22 AM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your car has an interesting look... based on your avatar photo. I like how you've treated the wheels.

I can't say that "Honesty is the best Policy" all the time. In a traffic stop, I played the 'admit and be remorseful' card before...(though I generally don't drive with firearms in the car) and still got a ticket.

i don't think there is a general rule, as we are dealing with too many variables.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:14 AM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Q)"Do you know why I stopped you?"

A)I am used to it..everyone likes to see my car..
Old 07-12-2012, 12:17 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Interesting story Lite.

Love the avatar picture. Do you have more pictures of the 964 side script? The idea has been batted around on this forum, but haven't seen it on a car.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:48 PM
kylejohnston1
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I like the wheel treatment as well. I'm tempted to pull the D90's down out of the attic and have the centers painted cobalt blue.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:07 PM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cop pulls me over and asks why I'm going so fast. My reply is usually "because I'm a dumbass". Usually gets a chuckle and a warning.

Always, always, always roll your windows down and put your hands on the wheel so he can see you're not a threat.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:21 PM
Paulie964
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I play the song from Super Troopers when the swingers get pulled over in the stolen Porsche
Old 07-12-2012, 05:56 PM
Sultan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tbennett017
I can't say that "Honesty is the best Policy" all the time. In a traffic stop, I played the 'admit and be remorseful' card before and still got a ticket.

i don't think there is a general rule, as we are dealing with too many variables.
+1 same thing happened to me. There is no science, it is pure luck.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:05 AM
Litew8
Rennlist Member

Hey, it was a generalization. Believe me, I know. Like the 140mph pass of three cars on a sleepy righthanded 1/2 mile stretch with the front car being an unmarked Dodge Aspen. I started pulling over before he hit the lights. Google it: San Antonio Mountain, NM on HWY 285. In my Evex 930RS2, no plates, an expired temporary tag, and a German title. Okay, the Sheriff had been out to our ranch when we had trespassers hunting elk three years in a row, same two guys! Six new rifles became ours. Sheriff got the kills after we had the guys butcher them.
Or the Illinois Trooper standing in the road when I appeared for the second time. Both times that semi full of cattle got past me. I didn't even argue.
Or at Balboa Beach after a "demonstration of force and power" while leaving the curb followed by a chirp into second and then a quick e-brake allowing a merge into the opposite direction. Amazing how those Balboa Beach Patrol Jeep's can maneuver a median. All because some guy in the bar was calling his buddy Enzo. As I recall, Enzo exited once we got out to discuss our options with the kind officer. It was "illegal u-turn" or "unnecessary demonstration of force and power" or "loss of traction", I took the u-turn. He went to get his book and found he had no citations. So he asked us if we wanted to follow him to the station, we said we preferred to not. He said keep it safe and have a good day.

Citations. It depends on their mood. I depend on subordination.
And always have the windows down, keys on the dash, and hands on the wheel. Always.
Hey they are carrying and very well trained. I need to make them comfortable first.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:12 AM
Litew8
Rennlist Member

Thank you for the remarks regarding the wheels. Simple and effective tactic at giving the C4 substance, and placing the focus back onto the car.

The "964" script is an idea I found here on forums.rennlist.com
I screwed up by not placing it at the same height as the turn signals.
But I've grown accustom.

I'll post some new photos in he "nine64" Album on my page.

Thank you all again for the compliments!
Clark

Last edited by Litew8; 07-15-2012 at 03:48 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 07-15-2012, 01:13 AM
941MXVET
Pro

Cop, "do you know why I pulled you over?"
Motorist, "To sell me a ticket to the state troopers' ball."
Cop, "State troopers don't have *****"

See if that works.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:42 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cops don't issue warnings anymore in where i live. they will give a break for lesser offense at times now.

also, they now tell you why you were pulled over in the last few stops. i think by know most people just play dumb with a "I dont know" answer.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:35 PM
sail2fast
Track Day

My wife is a public defender. She will tell you never to say "because I was speeding?" (or any such confession) as it is an admission of guilt. That alone is generally sufficient for the ticket to hold up in court.

The "correct" answer (to almost every question a police man asks you) is "I don't know, sir" (although I really like "because I'm a dumb-***"). Being dumb as a box of rocks isn't illegal, nor is lying to a police officer (though they get pissed if they catch you lying)...

All that said, I've pulled over to the side of the road before the cops finish their U-turn, and they always seem to appreciate the fact I noticed them and made no trouble. They seem to get most upset if they can follow you for miles and you never notice them behind you...

Quick Reply: How to get out of a speeding ticket