Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black Betty - Part 3 Engine rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 04:42 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

aah....those pics bring back expensive memories.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:15 PM
cuse92
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks very good, Frank, and it is a much, much faster build than mine was... at this rate we'll be seeing you at the September drive! I'll be very interested to see what yours dynos at... I would have thought that the 380 you quoted before was attainable. Mine tested out at a bit over 300 without the Motec or PMOs you are using. In any event it's the torque you'll really notice with a 3.8...
Old 08-02-2012, 03:50 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemass Automotive
Awesomeness of the highest level.
Cheers mate - dying to see yours all clean and more pics of the interior!

Originally Posted by Cheeksyboy
Whatever it is, this is gonna be one amazing engine.....
Cheers mate, now if only the 4wd system didn't weigh so much and I had your talent behind the wheel.

Originally Posted by boxsey911
aah....those pics bring back expensive memories.
I'm bracing myself for the next payment...

Originally Posted by cuse92
It looks very good, Frank, and it is a much, much faster build than mine was... at this rate we'll be seeing you at the September drive! I'll be very interested to see what yours dynos at... I would have thought that the 380 you quoted before was attainable. Mine tested out at a bit over 300 without the Motec or PMOs you are using. In any event it's the torque you'll really notice with a 3.8...
We're aiming for completion by the end of September, so may have to be the October meet.

Realistically we're expecting nothing below 350... time will tell. What cams are you using? Cup cams?

More importantly now that you've had yours back for a little while now, what are your detailed impressions of your engine? Would make a nice addition to this thread.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:14 AM
cuse92
Instructor

Originally Posted by Porsche964FP

Realistically we're expecting nothing below 350... time will tell. What cams are you using? Cup cams?

More importantly now that you've had yours back for a little while now, what are your detailed impressions of your engine? Would make a nice addition to this thread.
Yup, using Cup cams.

Impressions still forming of the new engine, primarily because I've been having a few issues, and also because the weather has been so bad I've only driven it a few times. On the engine issues, there was some difficulty with getting the car to run well with the SMF - there were stalling issues that not only made me look like a berk at every traffic light, but it would stall when I was downshifting into roundabouts, which was pretty terrifying. All retuned now, it is a bit difficult to start cold (my neighbours love me revving at 6am on a Sunday...), and is still pretty easy to stall, but once it is warm everything is pretty good on this front. With the MoTec I understand that you won't have these issues with your SMF because it is much more tuneable.

So not too much to report. The biggest thing I notice so far is the torque. It makes the car so much easier to drive in normal conditions/London traffic and it pulls like a train. The other thing I love is when it "goes on cam", it is a pretty dramatic surge and you can really feel it - almost like a turbocharger kicking in, and much more noticeable than my previously stock-cammed (and tired) 3.6. The car is heaps faster than it used to be and I've had to adjust - I get to corners so much quicker, and I'm really appreciating the upgraded brakes. Because the car now has so much more performance than you can safely use on the road, I'll need to get it to a track to have too much more to say, but it is definitely a much different car with this engine, and is much more to my personal tastes.

The only downside other than the stalling issues is that my fuel economy has gone waaay down - I haven't calculated yet but I'd say I'm averaging in the low teens at best... Just be ready for it! Really looking forward to seeing BB when she's done...
Old 08-09-2012, 09:13 AM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Saw this on eBay - who doesn't like a colour coded ****, should work with the interior.

Originally Posted by cuse92
Yup, using Cup cams.

Impressions still forming of the new engine, primarily because I've been having a few issues, and also because the weather has been so bad I've only driven it a few times. On the engine issues, there was some difficulty with getting the car to run well with the SMF - there were stalling issues that not only made me look like a berk at every traffic light, but it would stall when I was downshifting into roundabouts, which was pretty terrifying. All retuned now, it is a bit difficult to start cold (my neighbours love me revving at 6am on a Sunday...), and is still pretty easy to stall, but once it is warm everything is pretty good on this front. With the MoTec I understand that you won't have these issues with your SMF because it is much more tuneable.

So not too much to report. The biggest thing I notice so far is the torque. It makes the car so much easier to drive in normal conditions/London traffic and it pulls like a train. The other thing I love is when it "goes on cam", it is a pretty dramatic surge and you can really feel it - almost like a turbocharger kicking in, and much more noticeable than my previously stock-cammed (and tired) 3.6. The car is heaps faster than it used to be and I've had to adjust - I get to corners so much quicker, and I'm really appreciating the upgraded brakes. Because the car now has so much more performance than you can safely use on the road, I'll need to get it to a track to have too much more to say, but it is definitely a much different car with this engine, and is much more to my personal tastes.

The only downside other than the stalling issues is that my fuel economy has gone waaay down - I haven't calculated yet but I'd say I'm averaging in the low teens at best... Just be ready for it! Really looking forward to seeing BB when she's done...
Sounds great - lovely review, thanks. Looking forward to when mine goes on cam - sounds awesome.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Porsche964FP; 08-09-2012 at 10:03 AM.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:57 AM
fuch
Rennlist Member

What a bonkers rebuild....supa stuff frank...keep your money frank that gearstick cap may push the budget over the edge!!
Old 08-10-2012, 07:27 PM
circleswim
Advanced

This has got to be one of my fav cars/threads in the 964 forum...
Old 08-11-2012, 07:19 AM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Originally Posted by fuch
What a bonkers rebuild....supa stuff frank...keep your money frank that gearstick cap may push the budget over the edge!!
Fingers crossed.

Originally Posted by circleswim
This has got to be one of my fav cars/threads in the 964 forum...
Cheers - appreciate that Glad it's interesting.

Update 4

* Crank built up with the Pauter connecting rods.
* Case back together.
* Oil pump in.
* Next head work to be completed and the P&Cs can go in...

Have to say I'm ecstatic with the process so far. Nick has been brilliant - always updating me, always happy to chat. He's really excited about this one (even though he's got two other 3.8s on the stands), the reason being that he says he's constantly learning. Figuring out new techniques - it's clear that is what he loves about these air-cooled engines, the constant evolution and improvements.

I feel the pace at which Nick is building this engine is fast because it's well managed, passionate, hard working and experienced. I love his dedication to photograph every part of the process - something he does for every engine he builds, means he's got great pride and wants to share the whole process with his customers.

I am feeling very excited to have the car back and hope it'll turn out as we intend. Hopefully the synergy will have worked. I still can't believe this all started in March almost 6 months ago - when the engine had it's problems. But I'm happy with the progress since the build actually started in July. It's been a long time coming...

Attached Images      

Last edited by Porsche964FP; 08-11-2012 at 07:41 AM.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:30 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Update 4.5

More details.

* Ceramic coating on the exhaust ports up to 4mm in places, we'd be looking at scimming them by 1 to 2 mm in places.
* The valves we're using are 993 RSR items which are 1mm larger. Valves on order.
* Throttle bodies to be ordered.
* Custom exhaust inc. headers to commence in preparation.
* ECU to be ordered.

Guestimated time of delivery - 4 to 5 weeks from now.

Last edited by Porsche964FP; 08-14-2012 at 07:32 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:15 PM
Vic_S
Racer

Frank, the build spec is sounding awesome! It'll be hard to show restraint in the running in period LOL
Old 08-15-2012, 08:00 PM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Great project, thanks for sharing infos and pictures...!!
Old 09-04-2012, 08:56 AM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Originally Posted by Vic_S
Frank, the build spec is sounding awesome! It'll be hard to show restraint in the running in period LOL
Cheers.

Originally Posted by kos11-12
Great project, thanks for sharing infos and pictures...!!
Anytime.

Any feed back on the following would be much appreciated. As ever any questions are more than welcome - I'll do my best to find the answers.

Update 5.

The Motec M84 system sensors:
* Knock sensor.
* VDO Sensor.
* Temp Sensor.
* Throttle body sensor.
* Wide range lamda sensor.
* Crank from the flywheel sensor.
* Barometric compensation.

Injectors:
* Turbo injectors.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:15 AM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm guessing the "VDO Sensor" is a VDO MAP sensor (VDO being the manufacturer, MAP being "manifold absolute pressure")

M84 is a nice bit of Kit
http://www.motec.com/m84/m84features/

M84 doesn't have built in knock control (majority of aftermarket ECU's don't) - it can be bought and setup as an add-on - probably expensive, not sure if that's what Nick is planning though.
http://www.motec.com/aboutknockcontrol/knockoverview/

I expect he plans to retain the factory Motronic ECU to manage the housekeeping, warm up, cold start, and knock detection, and fit the M84 as a "piggy back" to control the fueling and ignition.

All sounds spot on though (turbo injectors will do the job)!
Old 09-05-2012, 06:06 PM
jotaking
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey Frank,

Great thread, already loved this car on the outside, now love inside too.

Not sure what all the oily bits do but all looks very impressive and equally expensive.

Could I ask if this is a pure racer, or do you use it on the normal roads?

Great project, hope it all goes well, keep it coming...
Old 09-06-2012, 09:08 AM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Originally Posted by alexjc4
I'm guessing the "VDO Sensor" is a VDO MAP sensor (VDO being the manufacturer, MAP being "manifold absolute pressure")

M84 is a nice bit of Kit
http://www.motec.com/m84/m84features/

M84 doesn't have built in knock control (majority of aftermarket ECU's don't) - it can be bought and setup as an add-on - probably expensive, not sure if that's what Nick is planning though.
http://www.motec.com/aboutknockcontrol/knockoverview/

I expect he plans to retain the factory Motronic ECU to manage the housekeeping, warm up, cold start, and knock detection, and fit the M84 as a "piggy back" to control the fueling and ignition.

All sounds spot on though (turbo injectors will do the job)!
Hmmm I don't know - further investigation will take place! Thanks for the feedback Doc.

Originally Posted by jotaking
Hey Frank,

Great thread, already loved this car on the outside, now love inside too.

Not sure what all the oily bits do but all looks very impressive and equally expensive.

Could I ask if this is a pure racer, or do you use it on the normal roads?

Great project, hope it all goes well, keep it coming...
Absolutely, thread is supposed to be helpful - so questions are a must.

Car is a hybrid that suits my needs, it retains the full 'heavy weight' interior and aircon. The idea is a focused touring car for european blasts and track. The idea is a 964 that could potentially be used everyday (in it's drivability) that has the performance of modern 911s. It'll spend most of it's time on the roads (sporadic weekends away) with about 5 track days a year. It's supposed to be a subtle bruiser that goes under the radar - wolf in sheep's clothing. No loud RS colours here - after all it ain't one!

Quick Reply: Black Betty - Part 3 Engine rebuild