Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   964 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum-59/)
-   -   Help pls to Find a Tool for This......... (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/694970-help-pls-to-find-a-tool-for-this.html)

cumd20 05-05-2012 01:52 AM

Help pls to Find a Tool for This.........

3 Attachment(s)
I have O.Z. Racing Futura wheels - they are regular enough 3 pieces - but I want to take the wheels off and the center cap cover has special anti-tamper bolts on it stopping me from getting at the wheel nuts.

I have searched everywhere I can - I cannot even tell you if I am searching on the right descriptions as I do not know the correct name for this type of bolt - but I cannot find anything like this on-line with anything I have searched.

The first picture gives you a feel for the wheel itself.

The second and third Picture shows the actual anti-tamper bolt head up close.

The socket will have a round bar at the end with a smaller diameter bar offset like a cam. Has anyone any advice on how to locate one of these things?

mojorizing 05-05-2012 02:49 AM

Know anybody with a lathe? machine shop?

I don't the name of that bolt head, but it would be a simple project on a lathe.

stevepaa 05-05-2012 03:19 AM

I would dremel a slot in it and use a screwdriver.

Or make a tool using a large diameter screwdriver and grind away.

Harry Apps 05-05-2012 04:43 AM

Don't know how tight they are likely to be, but try 2-3 small hex wrenches (clamped together) to fill the hole/holes.

Ajstephe 05-05-2012 05:45 AM

I tried searching using the phrase Oz centre cap lock. Apparently they've stopped doing the tool for this but someone on a different forum suggested using some tamperproof torx bits which apparently worked eventually for him

David in LA 05-05-2012 12:52 PM

Off topic, but have you ever posted with details of your car...the ideal of a Super-charged Speedster is compelling as supercharging has let you keep the smooth lines :thumbsup:

Originally Posted by cumd20 (Post 9504076)
I have O.Z. Racing Futura wheels - they are regular enough 3 pieces - but I want to take the wheels off and the center cap cover has special anti-tamper bolts on it stopping me from getting at the wheel nuts.

I have searched everywhere I can - I cannot even tell you if I am searching on the right descriptions as I do not know the correct name for this type of bolt - but I cannot find anything like this on-line with anything I have searched.

The first picture gives you a feel for the wheel itself.

The second and third Picture shows the actual anti-tamper bolt head up close.

The socket will have a round bar at the end with a smaller diameter bar offset like a cam. Has anyone any advice on how to locate one of these things?

RollingArt 05-05-2012 01:03 PM

I don't think that is any standard type of bolt head. I believe it's OZ's own design. So they are the only one's with the right tool.

You could remove them with a properly sized EZ-out from your local tool store.

GL

cumd20 05-05-2012 01:06 PM

Detailed Pics coming soon - just got it back after some suspension work, valve adjustment, adaption etc.

Originally Posted by David in LA (Post 9504743)
Off topic, but have you ever posted with details of your car...the ideal of a Super-charged Speedster is compelling as supercharging has let you keep the smooth lines :thumbsup:

cumd20 05-05-2012 01:15 PM

Thanks for the idea's guys - I do not have access to the kind of equipment needed to make one. I have tried screw extractor, closely fitting allen keys, a star driver head socket - there is one more I can try but will need to hammer it in so I am leaving that to the very last option.

The next stop seems likely to be a Tire Store like Les Schwab to see what they have - hopefully the car gets me some free consulting work :rockon:

The PO tells me the Porsche garage had a tool - the Porsche Garage tells me they cannot find a tool that would have been able to do that and they cannot recall how they got them out - and the guy that did the last tire change is no longer there :mad: :banghead:

mojorizing 05-05-2012 02:35 PM

If you have a drill index, and can determine the diameters of both holes ( large hole and small offset hole), then guage the offset, I could make an insert for you. To get the offset, the easiest way would be to insert the proper drill size in the offset hole, then fit another drill between that drill and the largest gap on larger hole. I'll be in seattle in a few days, and ship it to you.

cumd20 05-05-2012 03:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by mojorizing (Post 9504975)
If you have a drill index, and can determine the diameters of both holes ( large hole and small offset hole), then guage the offset, I could make an insert for you. To get the offset, the easiest way would be to insert the proper drill size in the offset hole, then fit another drill between that drill and the largest gap on larger hole. I'll be in seattle in a few days, and ship it to you.

Mojorizing - that would be incredible if you could try - if you are more than passing through let me do the honorable thing and make the work worth your while with beer or dinner (and a Drive of the Speedster of course).

Here is the best I can do - as a child of old Blighty I have a Metric Bit Gauge handy so the measures are in mm - the wheels are Euro anyway so if the locking bolts came from there this is the right gauge.

Anything on my drawing that needs explanation let me know - the 5mm gauge is a perfect fit and the outer dia gauge is tight at 8mm. With the tightness and given it is really hard to judge the offset on the wheel (is it really a true tangential cam or is there a 0.5 to 0.25mm gap) I would suggest a 7.5mm outer diameter spigot to give appropriate play. Of course any end of options for the length of the outer spigot - here I show just the depth of the hole in the bolt head - but if the 7.5mm bar is just left as is I can use a mole grip or something but a flat surface allows a wrench fit.

Lets see what we end up with - really do appreciate it.

g60pops 05-05-2012 03:37 PM

here is the type of tool you need
http://www.ebay.de/itm/1x-OZ-Fittipa...item256fa17104

mojorizing 05-05-2012 03:52 PM

I'm on it. Your drawing and the pic from ebay makes this a no brainer.

cumd20 05-05-2012 03:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by g60pops (Post 9505088)

g60pops - thanks for this - that is exactly the right type for the original tool - but to save any confusion - looking at the image the sizes of the spigot bits are definitely different on this tool - my sizes are accurate but looking at the image only it looks like this tool is 5 mm smaller dia and possibly 15-20mm outside dia.

To make life easier this is the pic the poster put onto eBay when this thing sold.

eBay Text in English:-
A picture says more than words:

Lock set, consisting of 2 x 6-special Allen screws and the appropriate key of OZ (but also including Fittipaldi trademarks of Fomb, Italy, in use) for lockable hub cap.

The new part is eigenlich .. but is a very long time. Was often in the multi-piece rims use

It is a private sale!

cumd20 05-05-2012 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by mojorizing (Post 9505113)
I'm on it. Your drawing and the pic from ebay makes this a no brainer.

Thanks a bunch mojorizing.