Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New car, ABS light plus dead clutch plus steering wheel shuddering?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 04:39 AM
galenmoloney
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New car, ABS light plus dead clutch plus steering wheel shuddering?

I just bought a 1990 Carrera 2 with my Dad which I am very excited about, the bodywork is nigh on perfect (impossible here in Ireland/the UK) and the engine pulls fine with limited oil leaks, car has good Porsche service history up until relatively recently. The car was in a garage for 2 years so there are some issues (I got a very good discount so hope these are priced in).

The car has no MOT so I test drove it for about 30 minutes around the sellers farm. When I set off the ABS light and warning signal came on.

Car drove fine to begin with however the brakes felt very notchy and very hard (maybe the ABS was engaging too soon). However car started to go for 10 minutes or so where the steering wheel was shuddering regardless of the surface or speed I was travelling at. The fact that the shuddering was on and off would indicate it wasn't the tracking. Also I could hear the brakes squealing. The brake pedal seemed to get progressively harder. It would seem the ABS was being triggered. The seller also told me that he had instances where the clutch went completely dead (flat to the floor) when he was testing it and then it was live again the next day.

In researching what the main issues might be on Pelicanparts I found out the following (the guys there recommended I post here as well as some 964 experts here!):

There is a brake booster which assists with the braking, without it the pedal is very hard. It would seem that the brake booster may have failed somehow and that might explain the hard pedal. It may be an electrical reason, fuse 15 controls the brake booster and I believe relay 41, I am going to check these in due time (car is in Ireland with my Dad now).

The ABS light was on and it seemed to be engaging, fuse 16 relates to the ABS system and seems to be working, relay R34 relates to the ABS and seems to be in a very poor state (I will order a new one). The research I have carried out indicates that certain of the relays need to be replaced every 2 years. Other research said that the ABS is driven by sensors on each wheel indicating the wheel speeds, these apparently get clogged with iron filings from the brakes and can trigger periodically. The ABS system seems to plug into the general hydraulic system and the main components are a pump and a control unit. If the pump is triggering (even incorrectly) then at least the expensive part (the pump) is working!!!

The reservoir seems full however the fluid looks off. I will get a mechanic to replace this.

Has anyone had these symptoms before? particularly the dead clutch and hard brake?

BTW here she is below, not the fastest way for her to get home but certainly the safest!
Attached Images  
Old 04-24-2012, 02:35 PM
galenmoloney
6th Gear

Default Sorry!

Sorry forgot to intruduce myself. I'm Galen and this is my first post on Rennlist. The car is my second Carrera 2, the first was a Targa which I loved but couldnt live with it as a daily driver in wet Dublin. I have been mad about these cars since I was a kid and had a picture of a 911 SC on my wall from the age of 10 to present day.

Love what they represent in reliability terms, I dont see them as flash but rather tried and tried and tested machinery (my first 911 drove out of a garage after 9 months lying dormant and drove me across the UK to the ferry and off the other side to my home).

I sold the first car to help pay for all things wedding related and have only managed to buy this one under the guise of it being a "project" with my Dad!
Old 04-24-2012, 06:39 PM
Crystal Cranks
Racer

Hi Galen, welcome to rennlist from another Dublin C2 owner, looks like a nice original car, the first thing I would do is bleed the system (the brake and clutch are all on the same system) before spending on parts, I think I have a spare R34 relay if you need to try it.
Let me know if you need any mechanic recommendations.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:48 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi Galen - welcome and car looks great!

I am no 964 expert but I'd suggest flushing the brakes and clutch slave as that may help with the pedal issues. Also the ABS can be sensitive to voltage so make sure the grounds, battery, alternator, and voltage regulator are up to snuff.

The steering wheel issue may be a wheel out of round, a tyre in need of balancing, or just flat spotting of the tyres from sitting.

Marc

added: the ABS controller is at the left in the front trunk so if the seals like (if it was sitting outside), it might be worth making sure the contacts are all clean.

Last edited by Marc Shaw; 04-24-2012 at 11:56 PM. Reason: added a thought
Old 04-24-2012, 11:50 PM
Litew8
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It is hard to say Welcome as I am only a week or so newby myself.
But, what the heck, Welcome Galen.
Beautiful body, love those wheels.
You have a great dad.

Quick Reply: New car, ABS light plus dead clutch plus steering wheel shuddering?