Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odometer and spoiler issue I am having unrelated? Your opinion please

Old 04-04-2012, 07:16 AM
SNOWBIRD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Odometer and spoiler issue I am having unrelated? Your opinion please

Okay... I have read through countless posts on the spoiler and odometer. My Spoiler is in the up position doesn't move automatically or manualy by the switch, NO LIGHT coming on, does not go down, even when I turn the car off.
I cannot say when the odometer stopped working, but both were working until recently. Only the odometer is not working, speedo works, digital (electronic) one works, Tiptronic lights work.
I did replace the ABS relay (in R34) made no difference except the ABS light does stay on when the NEW relay is in it.
So do we still think these issues are related? ABS sensor would be next?
I don't own a ohm meter, nor would I know what to do with it if I had one... I'm good at swapping out parts tho
Help!
Thanks
Old 04-04-2012, 08:25 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

I think they are unrelated. The odometer being broken but the speedo working is most likely a bad odometer gear. I replaced mine. The gears die eventually. You can buy replacements for $25 and do it yourself.

As for the spoiler, have you checked the fuse? Do you know if you have 12 volts at the electric motor? Do you hear the motor turning?
Old 04-04-2012, 03:22 PM
SNOWBIRD
Pro

Just checked the fuse #37... Good. I also disconected the battery for 5 minutes in case some sort of reset...
No spoiler motor noise. Have not checked power to the motor yet. Maybe do that tonight (it's like 90 out right now).
Old 04-07-2012, 08:57 AM
SNOWBIRD
Pro

Odometer goin out for new gears... Now on to researching the spoiler issue
Old 04-07-2012, 11:07 AM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I chased my spoiler issue and it was a burned out motor as I waited too long to replace the bearing in the spoiler transmission..did exactly what yours is doing

My ABS light turned out to be fractured wires from the right front and rear sensors (no idea why it was both right ones)

Get a multimeter a cheap one is fine , read the instructions and run the tests at the abs brain connector (as described in Adrians book)...you will need the meter again anyhoo..
Old 04-12-2012, 02:31 PM
Mark Bowyer
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please could I have more information on the Gears and where to get them

Rocket,

I read this post with interest and have the same issue with the Odometer not working and I would like to figure out where to get the gears you spoke of? Please let me know and any additional tips on a successful replacement

Thanks
Old 04-12-2012, 06:19 PM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Odometer gears ltd,...no affiliation
Old 04-12-2012, 07:13 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

http://p-car.com/diy/odometer/
Old 04-14-2012, 03:24 AM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unrelated.

Spoiler issue is spoiler drive motor, transmission/cable, stop limit microswitches or controller unit under right seat or dash, depending on model. Not too tough to test motor/transmission/cable/switches by application of external power. Search for my post on previous thread.

Chasing a controller problem by inspecting/testing/repairing board in controller is more difficult and complicated. Unplugging the controller and installing a known good controller is easiest test. Got a 964 buddy?

Transistors on controller board, there are six of them as I recall, are pretty easily sourced and replaced, if you're comfortable with electronics soldering. Replacement of my transistors didn't fix my priapismic spoiler (I'm so proud of myself for that one! )

I'm convinced that my spoiler problem was one of the two relays on the controller board, which I had no luck sourcing. A good used replacement controller fixed the problem.

Last edited by altarchsa; 04-14-2012 at 03:24 AM. Reason: text
Old 04-19-2012, 03:27 PM
SNOWBIRD
Pro

Okay. Just installed my speedo after North Hollywood Speedo replaced the gears and a light bulb, working fine. Thanks everyone once again for the 'Spot On' direction...

I wish I could say it solved my spoiler issue, it didn't... So my spoiler is in the up position and won't move either automatically or by the manual switch. I see some 24 pages of threads to look through so I can figure out where to begin....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Odometer and spoiler issue I am having unrelated? Your opinion please