Sponsored by:

Clutch fork shaft which one to use??? HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 09:55 PM
PChar
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch fork shaft which one to use??? HELP

After the debacle of my broken transmission clutch fork mounting boss, I search here on this board and some have suggested to upgrade to the new improved shaft with bronze bushing. I then order the shafy and bushing kit from PP. Although, when I received the new shaft it appears to be much longer than the OEM part. Am I missing something ???

Please help me determine which one should go in?
I have a G50/05 (1992 Carrera)

Based on this picture it is obvious that something is wrong,... what?

Thanks
Attached Images  
Old 03-29-2012, 10:30 PM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Show me some measurements of the new shaft. I have a similar kit that my shop said they could not use because of it's size.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:15 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

I have that kit installed on both of my cars. If you remove the bronze bushings and the end caps, the shafts should be the same size. To install, you use black bushings only, the bronze are not used. The black bushings replace the factory needle bearings.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:41 AM
PChar
Racer

Thanks Rob for the explanation, but even with the end caps removed the "New shaft" is still almost an inch longer than the other OEM shaft that I removed from my tranny.

I test fitted the new shaft with a new clutch fork without the brass fittings (since the new fork has its own poly bushings), and it is too long it protrude out of the bellhousing about 1 inch and the small angled bracket at the end will not mate with its fastning point.

I am at a lost and almost want to just re-install the OEM shaft and just buying new needle bearings. I need to reinstall the tranny and engine this weekend, so I need a plan quick.

Thanks
for all of the advise.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:46 PM
PChar
Racer

bump,..... Anyone at all has used this Shaft for a clutch replacement?
Old 04-01-2012, 01:42 PM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts
Default clutch shaft

Here is a pic with measurement of the shaft that I picked up on Ebay a while back. How does that compare to yours? When I had the clutch replaced in my 92, the mechanic said that it would not fit, and promptly purchased a rather expensive replacement kit with bushings rather than stock needle bearings.
Attached Images  
Old 04-18-2013, 11:18 AM
Cosmos99
Pro

I was planning on ordering this? did anyone figure it out?

Trending Topics

Old 04-18-2013, 01:25 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

AS I said about, I have two of these kits installed, one in each car. I purchased my kits from EBS Racing. I used the shaft but not the bronze bushings. I have my tranny out and try to measure it or take a picture of it when I get home if you need.

http://www.ebsracing.com/item.wws?sk...T&weight=0.610

No affiliations.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:39 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by PChar
I am at a lost and almost want to just re-install the OEM shaft and just buying new needle bearings. I need to reinstall the tranny and engine this weekend, so I need a plan quick.
Porsche resolved the problem the models prior to the 964 experienced by replacing the friction bearings with needle bearings in the transmission and using friction bearings in place of needle bearings in the release bearing. As long as you remember to lubricate everything properly with Olista Longtime 3EP then you should be okay. Every 964, 993 and 996TT/GT3/GT2 on the road uses them...
Old 04-19-2013, 01:58 PM
GBoxguys
Instructor

The bronze bushings replace the plastic bushings in the clutch fork, I would recommend using them.

As to the difference in the shafts, you do indeed have the correct replacement part. There is a cap that your old part is not showing. This new part does not use the plastic cap and is as a result slightly longer than the OEM part.

Give me a call if you have questions I will be happy to answer them in more detail.

Erik Johnson
Old 12-30-2013, 11:35 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by GBoxguys
The bronze bushings replace the plastic bushings in the clutch fork, I would recommend using them.

As to the difference in the shafts, you do indeed have the correct replacement part. There is a cap that your old part is not showing. This new part does not use the plastic cap and is as a result slightly longer than the OEM part.

Give me a call if you have questions I will be happy to answer them in more detail.

Erik Johnson
I'm surprised Eric suggests running the bronze bushes - anyone know why he does?
Eric you have pm

Last edited by HiWind; 12-31-2013 at 01:55 AM.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:23 AM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bronze should be both stronger and longer-lived than plastic.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:37 PM
jevvy964
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HiWind
I'm surprised Eric suggests running the bronze bushes - anyone know why he does?
Eric you have pm
The plastic bush that comes with a new fork is designed to grip and not slip on the shaft(aka factory setup with a shaft that pivots on needle bearings). The bronze bush is pressed into the fork instead of the plastic bush when being used on a solid shaft(aka the upgrade option).

Are you guys really just running the plastic bush with the solid shaft?
Old 01-05-2014, 10:20 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

No I'm planning on running the needle bearings - shd the shaft rotate freely once installed?

I have what looks to be Ali or steel bushes pressed into the fork.
Old 04-30-2018, 06:29 PM
Meatball964
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Reviving this old thread as I'm in the process of replacing these parts. Anyone care to weigh in on the best method to remove the nylon bushings off the new
fork release ? Do the new brass bushings slide right in or need to be pressed in ?

Quick Reply: Clutch fork shaft which one to use??? HELP