fuch
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im in if it can be done!!
Old 02-29-2012, 01:45 PM
cmat
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am as well and I'm sure there are many more.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:30 PM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go for it Esel Mann Jnr, I know just enough to get in trouble. Sounds like you're the man for the job.

I was just trying to encourage folks to look for a easy solution. I think I have a couple of F-V chips left over from another project, I'll see if I can put something together, if it works I'll post up the circuit. Probably be around $30 in components if the simplest plan works out.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:45 PM
fuch
Rennlist Member

GO GADGET GO........
Name:  Inspector_Gadget-1.jpg
Views: 1974
Size:  7.0 KB....
Old 02-29-2012, 04:59 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

I'm in...
Old 02-29-2012, 05:47 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Esel Mann Jr.
Hi All,

Something could certainly be put together for a far more reasonable price. From a cursory look at a picture of the controller internals from the other thread, I even suspect that it may be possible to do so utilizing the original controller or most of the original controller. It would be a case of ship the functional controller, have it modified/tested and shipped back to you.

Respectfully however, I would not feel right in hijacking this "project" if for example Alex or anyone else prior in this thread is working towards a sellable solution.

So please post and let me know if there still is interest in this and if my pursuit of a sellable solution would NOT be hijacking or squashing someone's efforts already in progress (eg. Alex). As a free-lance electronics designer, I have the background to do this but also importantly I also have my own (small) professional production/testing facility/equipment.

Either way, I'd be happy to share my thoughts on how I believe the original controller can be modified to pull this off and for a reasonable cost.
probably should read up on non members selling stuff first.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:57 PM
Esel Mann Jr.
Cruisin'

Hi All,

Ok then, I'll proceed with this project and keep everyone posted!

Since I do not have any schematics for the unit, I need to first find mine (I have a 93 so it's up in the dash somewhere) and then pull mine out so that I can get a look at the innards and draw up a schematic.

One thing though, from what I am seeing, it would appear that there may possibly be 2 types of units. One is for 90 and earlier the other for 91 and later. So if any one has pictures of the innards from a 90 and earlier unit please post. If it turns out that it is in fact different implementation wise, I'll try to find a dead unit so that a solution for such can also be provided.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:52 PM
Esel Mann Jr.
Cruisin'

I did actually look that up prior. I believe that if I sell or rather try to sell something it is appropriate that I be a member. While I did mention a possible future intention of selling a solution, I am not doing so as of yet.

Just so there is no confusion about the selling situation, perhaps I should be clear about the project outline. The outline in chronological order for this project is well simple:

- Acquire implementation/functional information about these spoiler control units.
- Share that information, perhaps in a concise document or other.
- Look at possible methods to provide some sort of ability to adjust the spoiler control unit function to a user's liking.
- Share that information.
- Modify and test the possible methods.
- Determine if the possible solution is something easily done by a regular enthusiast.
- If it is easily done, write up a document which details how to do it.
- If it is not easily done, then determine the feasibility in selling a solution. I believe it would be at this point whereby it would be appropriate for me to be a member, no?

If the discussion and sharing of information about a solution to someone(s) wish lists or problem is not appropriate on Rennlist, then I have no problem with stopping this and will immediately do so. Moderator(s) please let me know if what I am doing is inappropriate.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:27 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Esel Mann Jr.

- Acquire implementation/functional information about these spoiler control units.
- Share that information, perhaps in a concise document or other.
- Look at possible methods to provide some sort of ability to adjust the spoiler control unit function to a user's liking.
- Modify and test the possible methods.
- Determine if the possible solution is something easily done by a regular enthusiast.
- If it is easily done, write up a document which details how to do it.
- If it is not easily done, then determine the feasibility in selling a solution.

I love it! Sharing ideas and creating products is what the Rennlist brain trust is all about.
These cars just keep getting better! I'd like to set my spoiler to rise at 99 MPH.

Others may have pictures already, but if not I'll be happy to take some.
I actually have new seat bolts that I want to install for this years upcoming track events.

BTW, EM Jr. Thanks for posting. Tell us about your '93?
Old 02-29-2012, 10:28 PM
jody stowitts
Racer

This latest idea of you Rennlist "brain trust" electronic savants is way too HEAVY for my blood. Give me vanilla. I'm a "child of the lesser gods" and am happier than a hog eatin' carrots with my recent DIY manual control. Besides, the cops know that the newer 996 and up spoilers raise @ 75ish mph and the older ones (me) raise earlier @ 50ish mph: Ergo, I can zip along at ??? and arouse less suspicion. "At least until I'm cited".
Old 03-01-2012, 07:14 AM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Am I the only one that thinks that modifying when the spoiler raises and falls will upset the car's aerodynamics/ stability. Especially at high speeds?
Old 03-01-2012, 08:34 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche964FP
Am I the only one that thinks that modifying when the spoiler raises and falls will upset the car's aerodynamics/ stability. Especially at high speeds?
no
Old 03-01-2012, 09:01 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

In my case, I spend 90% of the driving time between 0 and 60 mph.

With the Ruf module, my spoiler opens only on the highway (80 MPH). Before that it was an incessant up and down, and my spoiler gears and bearings are not getting younger...

With the spoiler not yet up at 75mph, I see no adverse effects, even with worn shock absorbers, in the fast mountain roads
Old 03-01-2012, 09:54 AM
Mr.Spacely
Instructor

Originally Posted by GeorgeK
In my case, I spend 90% of the driving time between 0 and 60 mph.

With the Ruf module, my spoiler opens only on the highway (80 MPH). Before that it was an incessant up and down, and my spoiler gears and bearings are not getting younger...

With the spoiler not yet up at 75mph, I see no adverse effects, even with worn shock absorbers, in the fast mountain roads
I think I'm going to do the "2 wire" mod whenever I get the gumption to pull the passenger's seat. There are many many situations where I've exceeded 50mph, and then have to stop at an intersection...it almost gets comical after a while. Up/down/up/down/up.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:56 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Another thing to consider is that we '89 owners do not have the spoiler control switch on the center console.

Quick Reply: reprogramming the spoiler