Sponsored by:

High speed torque

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 07:24 PM
Mr.Spacely
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High speed torque

Can I just say... these cars bolt from 80 to 120 in about two eyeblinks. Every day I am happier with this 964, maybe I'm still basking in the afterglow, hahaaa. 4th gear to about 100, upshift to 5th = heaven!

Played some cat-and-mouse today with a couple of late model German sedans....figure I was giving away at least 100 to 150 h.p., and a couple of gear ratios, but the Porsche didn't care! I guess they had about a 1200 lb. disadvantage though
Old 02-17-2012, 08:26 PM
Jacke2c
Formerly turbotwoshoes
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Default I know what you mean!

Last year my 964 ate a brand new Jaguar XKR convertible. While he looked in the rear view mirror he just missed me passing him at 135. When he did look over I just smiled as I continued the climb. I actually felt sorry for him (well sort of) as I saw the look of disappointment crossed his face.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:36 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Yea, I was really surprised by how these cars effortlessly pile on speed up top. I remember on a morning commute shortly after I first got the car, I laid on it when traffic opened up and touched 140mph in short order for a sub-300hp car.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:47 AM
RW964
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 0 mph to real fast

Funny subject the wife and I head out to the country where there are not alot of cars and even from 5th gear 80 or 90 mph hit the gas and short order we are way up in the triple digits. She says how fast are we going I say @$@$ she says NO WAY .. So I put the GPS on the window now she says SLOW DOWN that is way to fast. With a J pipe and a chip I have the grunt down low and great top end to match. Well for a street car any how. But the down shift at around 80 then the upshift to 5th. Just gotta make you smile ......
Old 02-18-2012, 11:24 AM
PNine64
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Soo...what you guys are saying is that you can exceed the posted speed limit with one of these things? I would have had no idea.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:41 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

I was shocked the first time I really gave it a boot to see how the 964 had as much acceleration from 115 to 130 as my '75 911S had from 80 to 110! Can't get a straight section around here long enough to really get it up there.
Attached Images  
Old 02-18-2012, 12:43 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Looking forward to a trip back out to my old stomping grounds of West Texas to give it a real test. (Sorry about that first too big pic.)
Attached Images  
Old 02-18-2012, 01:15 PM
August West
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I love how slippery the body is through the air...impervious to cross-winds and super low rolling friction, as when you slip into neutral coming off the freeway onto the off-ramp...she just keeps rolling with hardly any slow-down effects from the frontal wind.

I've yet to go over 100 mph in mine but do love cruising through the redwoods and twisties around here in third gear around 4000 rpm and throttling my way through the corners...sublime!
Old 02-18-2012, 05:01 PM
stinkydog
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PNine64
Soo...what you guys are saying is that you can exceed the posted speed limit with one of these things? I would have had no idea.

All high speed runs are done on unlimited sections of the German autobahn, of course
Old 02-18-2012, 06:05 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

What cracks me up is that I'm reading all of the above like it's a first time wandering into triple digits. If so, well................just consider what can bite you in the ***. (Believe me, I've done it all in my youth with these things. Rather, torsion bar variants as we never could have envisioned what would be a 964 back in the '80s.)

These cars are damned good when set up properly, and even at top speed are relatively stable. Though that's probably been a decade or more since I wrung out the '92 C4. We never even see 130 on track here.

Ultimate recommendation is to get yourself + car (+ spouse?) to a DE or even an autocross. You won't care about "racing" a random stranger on a public road again, and you'll learn an unbelievable amount about what you don't know in driving a rear engined car.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:45 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by August West
I love how slippery the body is through the air...impervious to cross-winds and super low rolling friction, as when you slip into neutral coming off the freeway onto the off-ramp...she just keeps rolling with hardly any slow-down effects from the frontal wind.

I've yet to go over 100 mph in mine but do love cruising through the redwoods and twisties around here in third gear around 4000 rpm and throttling my way through the corners...sublime!
For the life of me I can't figure out why on earth you'd want to "slip into neutral coming off the freeway".

Sounds like a really good way to crunch a car...
Old 02-18-2012, 07:50 PM
PNine64
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiB
For the life of me I can't figure out why on earth you'd want to "slip into neutral coming off the freeway".

Brake pads are cheaper than transmission brakes?
Old 02-18-2012, 08:32 PM
August West
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure what you mean by crunch a car...I live in the middle of nowhere, with no traffic, and very hilly terrain. It's not a stretch to think of rolling off the freeway in neutral onto an uphill off-ramp and letting gravity slow you down...minimal braking required. I only offered up this instance as further appreciation of the awesomeness of Porsche design and how nicely the car rolls on its wheels unaided by engine or brakes.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:34 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by August West
Not sure what you mean by crunch a car...I live in the middle of nowhere, with no traffic, and very hilly terrain. It's not a stretch to think of rolling off the freeway in neutral onto an uphill off-ramp and letting gravity slow you down...minimal braking required. I only offered up this instance as further appreciation of the awesomeness of Porsche design and how nicely the car rolls on its wheels unaided by engine or brakes.
Precisely what I meant. I don't like the idea of giving up control of the car at any time and consider freewheeling, most certainly if a corner is involved, a dangerous practice.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:39 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Precisely what I meant. I don't like the idea of giving up control of the car at any time and consider freewheeling, most certainly if a corner is involved, a dangerous practice.
We almost wrecked an '11 M3 last Saturday from a rookie student who hadn't grasped the concept of NOT coasting. Anywhere. The event, and my comments afterward, got his attention..............

Quick Reply: High speed torque