Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   964 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum-59/)
-   -   Valve cover powder coating (was "FUUUUU, I'm bummed...(long frustration rant)") (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/679592-valve-cover-powder-coating-was-fuuuuu-im-bummed-long-frustration-rant.html)

Vandit 02-09-2012 01:12 AM

Valve cover powder coating (was "FUUUUU, I'm bummed...(long frustration rant)")

So the car has been on jack stands w/ its rear end torn up since early Jan as I do 2 main things (replace cooling fan and install Rennline carrier reinforcement) and countless slippery slope items (valve adjust, refinish tinwear, replace timing cover and tensioner gaskets, replace misc. oil line, install RS center bumper, etc.).

Anyway, so I've been out of commission a bit due to a wisdom teeth extraction (all 4) a couple of wks ago and the powder coater taking a bit long w/ the parts (nearly 3wks waiting on a color)

So yesterday I finally get my parts back, including the refinished valve covers, and finally feel like all the pieces are coming together. I just have the puzzle rebuild to go.

So last night and tonight I went through and backside adjusted the valves. I double and some triple checked, I think I'm good.

So I go get the valve covers to install the new gaskets. ***Here's my key downfall** I did not specify that I wanted both sides coated so they only coated the exterior. So as I'm inspecting the interior of the covers prior to gasket installation, I notice that they aren't exactly clean on the inside. In fact, I think the inside is covered in sand mixed w/ the existing grime. It isnt washing off very well and I definitely do not want to reinstall them like this and risk that sand getting into the oil and killing my motor.

So I guess it's back to the powder coating shop tomorrow and asking to have the inside of the covers blasted and coated as well. I really hope they can turn them around before the weekend, but it's unlikely, so my timeline now gets pushed back another 4-5 days at least. They'll also probably charge me again since it was my fault for not specifying I wanted both sides coated in the first place.

Oh well... I'll get it back together someday, hopefully in February.

falcor 02-09-2012 01:48 AM

Mine is on jackstands since the 30th of September and wont be hitting the ground till April 1st.
You'll survive. :-)

tbennett017 02-09-2012 02:32 AM

I ran into a similar problem with some old valve covers. I ultimately replaced them with billet ones... BUT i always wondered if there was a way to wash them out to get rid of the sand. I guess ANY sand would be really bad so I just swapped out for new...

What about using a material like paint cleaning clay or that goop that captures dust and crap from the inside of your car?

Anyone have a real process for doing this?

KaiB 02-09-2012 07:41 AM

Yer doing the right thing, but I'm with you on the frustration.

I often wonder how a shop could let something like that out of the door. They know what the parts do and where they go...and yet.

A simple phone call back to you - hey man, "these things are nasty and we want to clean the inside" is all it takes.

Goughary 02-09-2012 09:09 AM

Interesting - I just had mine done during my recent top end rebuild - and the powder coater here in CT did the exact same thing - only mine were a mixture of overspray and sand...When i went to scrape out and clean the inside of the covers, I noticed they were deteriorating as the mag covers do, and replaced them with Hargett Billet covers. I'll say this, I can highly recomend the Hargett covers if you are going to file off the sharp edges and tap them for wire clip holders. Otherwise, if not, then spend the money for Oem alluminum covers or Eagle Day.

Vandit 02-09-2012 11:13 AM

I took the covers in this morning and explained the situation, how it appears sand from the blasting mixed w/ the old grime and could potentially reck havoc on my motor.

They explained they do not coat/prep the inside of valve covers because of the risk of the coating flaking off into the engine. Fair enough.

They offered to air blast the inside of the covers while I waited. The results look pretty good. Obviously, the covers are still unattractive on the inside, like all weathered OEM valve covers do, but the air blasting appears to have knocked off all the old grime and sand.

I think they're safe for reinstallation now.

Makmov 02-09-2012 11:47 AM

Mine had a minor collision (was at a complete stop and a little girl in daddys A4 plows into me.) in the rear Nov 11th, been dissassemebled since Dec 28th (the wouldn't take my word for it and forced me to take it apart first - but guess what the approved everything on my original est that I made and cut a check for $7800.00), two weeks for insurance to come out and inspect, 2 weeks for parts to get ordered in and in my hands, found some were miss ordered or shorted waiting on the rest of my parts I am as far as I can go for now. Luckly no sheet metal damage just cover, absorbers some exhaust and shields damage for the most part. I am doing the work myself except the paint for the coveres and it's first time I don't feel completely screwed by the insurance company.

In the mean time I doing some other things Bilstien HD w H&Rs, was going to try and replace my engine pad, but I see you really need to pull the engine to do that... I was hoping I wasn't going to have do that.

I guess it's just as well since we had record snow fall in Feb already I would be driving it any way.

AOW162435 02-09-2012 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Vandit (Post 9261112)
They offered to air blast the inside of the covers while I waited. The results look pretty good. Obviously, the covers are still unattractive on the inside, like all weathered OEM valve covers do, but the air blasting appears to have knocked off all the old grime and sand.

I would still fill your kitchen sink with hot soapy water and make sure the insides a truly devoid of sand, etc. You do not want sand in your motor.

Andreas

groovzilla 02-09-2012 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by AOW162435 (Post 9261363)
I would still fill your kitchen sink with hot soapy water and make sure the insides a truly devoid of sand, etc. You do not want sand in your motor.

Andreas

also as andreas has pointed out in previous posts, make sure you re-assemble your covers after you fully wake up and have washed your eyes to avoid any sand left by the sandman to fall into your work area.

AOW162435 02-09-2012 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by groovzilla (Post 9261690)
also as andreas has pointed out in previous posts, make sure you re-assemble your covers after you fully wake up and have washed your eyes to avoid any sand left by the sandman to fall into your work area.

I have?

Andreas

groovzilla 02-09-2012 03:35 PM

nope

AOW162435 02-09-2012 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by groovzilla (Post 9262061)
you don't remember?...it was a joke of course. thought for sure you'd find it funny.

Intended humor noted.

:)

Andreas

Vandit 02-09-2012 04:11 PM

I'll make sure to get the valve covers a nice, hot, and soapy bath tonight before reinstall.

groovzilla 02-09-2012 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by AOW162435 (Post 9262154)
Intended humor noted.

:)

Andreas

humor intended only for those who know how pristine/clean your car is.:biggulp:

AOW162435 02-09-2012 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Vandit (Post 9262161)
I'll make sure to get the valve covers a nice, hot, and soapy bath tonight before reinstall.

Fantastic!

Originally Posted by groovzilla (Post 9262192)
humor intended only for those who know how pristine/clean your car is.:biggulp:

Photoshop: Helping car forum members make their cars look cleaner since 1988.

:thumbup:

Andreas