Sponsored by:

CHEAP - Brand new replica Big Reds...

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 11:35 AM
Cheeksyboy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boxsey911
Based on ordering at least four sets of standard pads which fit 964 front and rear (4 pots) and 993 rears, these are working out at about £132 per set:

Standard size pads - HB170 blue

Based on ordering at least two sets of Big red pads (also fit 928 big blacks), these are working out at about £211 per set.

Big red/black pads - HB184 blue

This includes shipping to me and import tax that I have to pay on arrival. I guess that sending the pads on to you by post would add about £15 to your total bill.

This is all based on:

Boxsey: 2 X HB170 blue
Cheeksyboy: 1 x HB184 blue, 1 x HB170 blue
Frank: 1 x HB184 blue, 1 x HB170 blue

If there's more than this I would check first to see if we can get more discount.
That's fine with me. You can bring mine with you to Spa as I've already fitted a new set of pads all round.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:15 AM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Also just had an interesting chat with Peter of GT One...

He was chatting to an ex parts guy from Design 911 recently... apparently their Design Tek exhausts are manufactured in China.... which obviously doesn't give me much confidence in Design Tek callipers priced at £399 for the pair.

Whilst a Chinese quality exhaust is fine - cheap callipers must be a safety hazard.

My mind is starting to spin!

Originally Posted by Strega(UK)
Frank, you need to call me if you are serious about this brake mod or read up on everything that Bill has said. You will need 928 rotors on the front not 993 as offset different. You will also need 993 rear calipers or the bias will be out. And the big thing is as soon as you split the brake system it will need bleeding by a Porsche garage as can not be done properly at home. trust me I have tried!!!
Thanks for the feedback. So would these fit for the front Big Red callipers?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EBC-FR-GRO...#ht_528wt_1398

In the listing they say to be used with 993 Turbo discs and pads.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brake-Cali...ht_2686wt_1398

Originally Posted by Cheeksyboy
That's fine with me. You can bring mine with you to Spa as I've already fitted a new set of pads all round.
What discs do you have on the front? 928 dics?

Last edited by Porsche964FP; 02-06-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:04 PM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not quite those ones are 304mm discs (which suit "big blacks") - you want 322mm discs.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:21 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Originally Posted by alexjc4
Not quite those ones are 304mm discs (which suit "big blacks") - you want 322mm discs.
I edited my aforementioned post, re the Design Tek callipers... I have a feeling I may end up having to go for the real things.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:35 PM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Frank,

Some of their exhaust stuff clearly states made in Germany in the description

http://www.design911.com/Porsche/997...-cma81-ct1372/

If you are concerned about it, call them and ask, personally I would want to qualify any 2rd hand info from an 'ex' employee
Old 02-06-2012, 12:36 PM
Cheeksyboy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche964FP
Also just had an interesting chat with Peter of GT One...

...My mind is starting to spin!

What discs do you have on the front? 928 dics?
I have 928 x-drilled discs on the front, standard on the rear.

Why don't you try and get hold of a set of big blacks (off 928 GTS if my memory serves me right) as they're less glamorous than the reds and thus often a lot cheaper!

They're not exactly the same (can't remember what the difference was, sorry), but they take the same pads.

I'll have a look at exactly what parts I've got and PM you tonight when I get home.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:41 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Originally Posted by freedman
Frank,

If you are concerned about it, call them and ask, personally I would want to qualify any 2rd hand info from an 'ex' employee
True! What a maze. Thanks
Old 02-06-2012, 12:58 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Frank,

Just had another think about it. I think there are debates both ways, an ex employ could be more honest since he's no longer an employee.

I know that was my thinking, Design Tek are German... but then again a lot of these companies do have parts manufactured in China. Not that, that is always a bad thing - but in my eyes there's an element of risk to a product that could have been manufactured even in part in China.

Is it a risk I really want to take with a braking system? Anyway the reason I posted about it is because I'm speculating. Just wanted to see if someone may have thought the same or different?

But your right I'll call them up about it...

Originally Posted by Cheeksyboy
I have 928 x-drilled discs on the front, standard on the rear.

Why don't you try and get hold of a set of big blacks (off 928 GTS if my memory serves me right) as they're less glamorous than the reds and thus often a lot cheaper!

They're not exactly the same (can't remember what the difference was, sorry), but they take the same pads.

I'll have a look at exactly what parts I've got and PM you tonight when I get home.
Cheers.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:13 PM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

I know that was my thinking, Design Tek are German...
Frank, I think you will find they are a UK company

Effectively an in house brand name for Design 911 (look at Design teks website, its the same set up as D911)
Old 02-06-2012, 01:15 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Default Investigation complete....

Peter was telling me that he constantly gets phone calls/ emails from Chinese companies that can remanufacture Porsche parts at way cheaper prices...

If you look at ' DesignTek ' and ' Design911 's websites you'll notice they are both made by the same company, have a very similar layout and their checkout procedure is the same...

I called up 'Design911' again. Turns out 'Design Tek' is their very own brand of aftermarket parts... Apparently the company that manufacturers they're aftermarket parts is based in Denmark. I asked the name of the Danish company to which he replied "It's irrelevant"....

So Design911/ Design Tek exhausts are made in Germany or Denmark? Is every product made under the 'DesignTek' brand manufactured by different companies?
Old 02-06-2012, 01:24 PM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

So Design911/ Design Tek exhausts are made in Germany or Denmark? Is every product made under the 'DesignTek' brand manufactured by different companies?

Its not unusal for a comany to have products manufactured in more than one location but marketed under one name

Boxsters used to be built in Finland not Germany for instance.....
Old 02-06-2012, 01:28 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Its not unusal for a comany to have products manufactured in more than one location but marketed under one name

Boxsters used to be built in Finland not Germany for instance.....
Sure but they were approved to be built in Finland by Porsche themselves.

If for example Brembo manufactures parts in Denmark I would trust them but DesignTek isn't as much of a industry leading brand - I just don't know...

As said, if it were window wipers I wouldn't care but brakes I'm more concerned, what would you do?
Old 02-06-2012, 01:38 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If there's going to be a worry at the back of your mind that you've made a bad decision by buying non Porsche/Brembo, you're better off buying the real thing:

993 turbo calipers

OK they will work out at nearly twice the price but at least you know that you've got the genuine article. Alternatively you could hold out for some second hand ones but from my experience, even with normal calipers, the additional cost of refurbing used ones (they always need it) puts the final price up near the cost of new ones.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:43 PM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Sure but they were approved to be built in Finland by Porsche themselves.

If for example Brembo manufactures parts in Denmark I would trust them but DesignTek isn't as much of a industry leading brand - I just don't know...

As said, if it were window wipers I wouldn't care but brakes I'm more concerned, what would you do?

My take is

D911 are probably the biggest Porsche parts suppliers in the UK

Most of the feedback Ive seen about them is good (as is my experience with them for the bits Ive bought) unlike some other parts suppliers further North shall I say

Would I buy own branded brake calipers from them?, probably, if I couldnt get a decent S/H set for the right price.

I would probably ask for confirmation of where they are manufactured first if that is a concern though

Ring Matthew at Type 911 (he stocks them also) and ask him, he only resells them (at a mark up) but may be more forthcoming

http://www.type911shop.co.uk/shop/ar...6aid%3D1939%26

Even if they are made in China, they're not knock off's pretending to be something they're not
Old 02-06-2012, 01:57 PM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's a source for the 928 GTS solid discs, around £220 each
http://www.promaxmotorsport.co.uk/ca...63-brakes.aspx

The 965 drilled discs are the same dimensions but are half the price. I've done some googling and the drilled rotors do seem to crack when given stick.

Interesting article here on brake upgrades for the 968 which uses similar front brakes to 964s
http://www.porsche968uk.co.uk/techni...968-brakes.htm
From this article it looks like the 993RS or Turbo discs are usable but the adapters will either need flipping or fettling to work properly.

Quick Reply: CHEAP - Brand new replica Big Reds...